Future of BJJ?

SAMURAI SPIRIT

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
When I started in Martial Arts, Kung-fu was still the thing. A local Kung-fu instructor who always dressed up as a Budhist Monk was the biggest game in town. He had a Prophet like following and led a cult who believed in Chi and death touch which they always taught after doing a criminal background check on you etc.

Then UFC started and people found out what real fighting was all about. Right after the first few UFCs, everyone wanted to learn BJJ but there were not enough instructors. Weekend Karate instructors would fly to BJJ seminars and then return with "certificates" (not belts but certificates of participation) and would still attract students. Then MMA evolved some more and fighters became more well rounded. While BJJ remains a part of the game, it no longer has the same "all out domination" aspect to it that it once had.

As I see martial arts culture today, a lot of BJJ schools in my area have a bigger "Muay Thai" and "Cross Fit" class than BJJ. Also visited a Taekwondo school where the instructor is not as accomplished in TKD as some of the instructors in BJJ in my area. Yet his school has more students. This makes me wonder where BJJ is headed in the next 10 years.

Aesthetically BJJ is not a spectator sport. It is not as much fun to watch and Kick boxing and TKD. It is also not dominating MMAs the way it did once. You cant look at a modern MMA fight and say "This is an advertisement of BJJ." Self-defense value of modern BJJ is often debated as there is a large group out there that remains convinced that it is not the optimum art for self defense. In the recent years, BJJ community is geared more towards tournaments and not much is done to address the perception that BJJ is not for the streets.

Question is what do you perceive to be the future of BJJ? Three scenarios come to mind.

1. Combat Jiu-jitsu will be born: All this will take is ONE business minded, high level BJJ big shot who will admit that modern BJJ, with its blind emphasis on tournaments and fancy guards is losing its connection with a real fight. He will come up with "DIRTY GRAPPLING" style with all the moves that are illegal and you may have a new FAD in self defense.

2. BJJ will continue as a sport only: The idea that BJJ is not for self defense will move from minority rhetoric to mass acceptance. None of this will bother the BJJ community just like boxers or collegiate wrestlers do not mind being strictly "athletes."

3. MMA gyms will be the places where remnants of what was once BJJ, will be found: Not all BJJ is applicable in MMA or even a street fight. Those elements of BJJ will survive that have proven themselves in Octagon and dirty, sweaty MMA gyms will be the places where they will be taught integrated with all of MMA.

Most BJJ blackbelts who have their gyms are now working full time jobs elsewhere. This was not the case when UFC initially started. How valuable do you think a BJJ blackbelt will be 10 - 15 years from now and it what capacity exactly?

Thanks.

Sport BJJ is doing just fine. I expect it will continue to grow very slowly. Most people don't care that much about MMA applicability, the ones that do will learn pieces of BJJ in MMA gyms. Well and good. Black belts will stay hard to get and valuable for the immediate future. BJJ will probably end up like Judo in the US: a niche sport with a gym or two in most medium size and larger towns with a dedicated core of practitioners, but in no danger of dying out.

BJJ is becoming more sport based but guys like Eddie Bravo, love him or hate him, are changing the dynamic of the sport. I know a lot of you guys hate on Bravo but he is right about some of those arbitrary reaping and leg lock rules found in other comps.

His EBI is actually really exciting and you see some excellent bjj going on with him. Good foot and leg attacks. It's great. I see more and more people attacking the feet and legs in the future.

Bjj is the best spot currently.
Gyms are full.
Actually, i have a waiting list of 6 people for end of March.

There will be a bigger division between sport and self defense bjj gyms.

The public is already aware of the difference between bjj and mma gyms and that is great.

An arm bar is an arm bar. I do not see bjj change much in 10 years time.

It is just more accessible with gyms popping up everywhere.

I don't see most gym owning blackbelts having full time, or even part time, jobs elsewhere.

I think what he meant is can a bjj bb make a living of teaching bjj in 10 years time or would the market be saturated?

He said now, so I assumed he is talking about the present

I think the future will be in age group sports bjj competition. Strong kids programs will be the key to future success.

1. Combat Jiu-jitsu will be born: All this will take is ONE business minded, high level BJJ big shot who will admit that modern BJJ, with its blind emphasis on tournaments and fancy guards is losing its connection with a real fight. He will come up with "DIRTY GRAPPLING" style with all the moves that are illegal and you may have a new FAD in self defense.

That man was Relson Gracie, Pedro Sauer and Rickson. They teach self defense techniques...in one of them you grab the opponent's finger and break it. I hate it, I will never try to grab one of these guys.

Most of the sport guard is not really needed. I used to believe it, then I saw there are so many techniques a guy like Rickson will nullify without even knowing what it's called.

The best players have a few things they know very well. These guards have so many positions...better to learn how to pass every guard but keep your own guard very simple.

Otherwise you'll dedicate all your time to something not always workable for defense and getting your butt kicked on the mat by old school guys. Open guard don't work very well for MMA either.

More throws, closed guard, passing and top game, less open and half guard.

Here is an example of this simple open guard. Leandro Lo switch to this style and what Relson likes.

Last edited:
Probably see more leg locks due to the demand for them as of late. God i hope so.

Passed by a local karate/TKD gym yesterday that was full of kids, and they even had expanded to next door with "cardio kickboxing". It was like looking into an ant farm, teeming with little bodies.

Despite all the exposures how it's all BS and belt selling, nothing has changed. The fact is the money is selling an image to parents, who just want to see flashy kicks and a belt.

I was horsing around with my 11 year old cousin, who got enrolled in TKD. I pinned him down with one hand and he tried flailing his knees at my side. Well, my mom got really scared that he was hurting me, a full grown man and Judo black belt, because the kid does TKD.

What can you do. I think unless BJJ becomes institutionalized in schools like Judo in Japan or like wrestling in the US, it will always be niche in the US.

Back