Fushida Mantis vs. Vulkan Ultralight

SUPERGRAPPLER

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Okay so i have narrowed my next gi purchase to either of these. I currently use a double weave and a gold weave, so I am looking for a lightweight gi.

The Fushida Mantis looks incredible! The specialized fitting makes me more inclined to go this route, as does the customer service. But I found a really good deal on a Vulkan ultralight which also looks really good.

Do any of you folks have experience with either gi? Which do you prefer?

I haven't heard a bad word about the Mantis but I hear plenty of mixed reviews about the Vulkan ultralight (some ppl tihnk it gets sloppy when rolling).

I haven't heard a bad word about the Mantis but I hear plenty of mixed reviews about the Vulkan ultralight (some ppl tihnk it gets sloppy when rolling).

I can attest to this. I own a Vulkan Ultralight and you nailed it. It is thin and it is great for warmer weather but it gets loose as the session goes on.

I wear it only when my other gis are in the laundry or hang drying.

I was going to buy a Fushida but i seen that another local gym in my area uses them exclusively. With a couple of tourney's coming up, I opted for an Isami instead.

I can say that Fushida's customer service is second to none. IF you have done any research about Fushida you probably have seen that as well. It is all true. They want your Gi to fit you, how you like it.

I can attest to this. I own a Vulkan Ultralight and you nailed it. It is thin and it is great for warmer weather but it gets loose as the session goes on.

I wear it only when my other gis are in the laundry or hang drying.

I was going to buy a Fushida but i seen that another local gym in my area uses them exclusively. With a couple of tourney's coming up, I opted for an Isami instead.

I can say that Fushida's customer service is second to none. IF you have done any research about Fushida you probably have seen that as well. It is all true. They want your Gi to fit you, how you like it.

Thanks for your reply. Did you get the Isami Superfly or the double weave?

another vote for fushida, my friend has the vulkan ultralight and the lapel is paper thin and overall the gi is just not even comparable imo.

I have both gis. This might not be very helpful, but I prefer my Fushida top over the Vulkan Ultralite, but I prefer the Vulkan pants over the Fushida ripstop pants. The Fushida pants are very stiff and seem to absorb dirt and mat residue. The pants stay dirty even after I wash them and they kind of have a "crusty" feel to them. I also have some Atama ripstop pants and they are by far my favorite pants. You may want to consider the Atama ultralight if you want a nice gi top and great pants. The Vulkan top definitely gets sloppy once you sweat in it, but it is nice to have a really light gi top during the hot summer months. As far as the Fushida top is concerned, it is awesome, fits like a glove and Christo was very helpful in selecting the right size. The Mantis would be my favorite gi if the pants were more like the Atama ripstop pants.
I hope this is helpful.

I have both gis. This might not be very helpful, but I prefer my Fushida top over the Vulkan Ultralite, but I prefer the Vulkan pants over the Fushida ripstop pants. The Fushida pants are very stiff and seem to absorb dirt and mat residue. The pants stay dirty even after I wash them and they kind of have a "crusty" feel to them. I also have some Atama ripstop pants and they are by far my favorite pants. You may want to consider the Atama ultralight if you want a nice gi top and great pants. The Vulkan top definitely gets sloppy once you sweat in it, but it is nice to have a really light gi top during the hot summer months. As far as the Fushida top is concerned, it is awesome, fits like a glove and Christo was very helpful in selecting the right size. The Mantis would be my favorite gi if the pants were more like the Atama ripstop pants.
I hope this is helpful.

Pants definitely cling to dirt. I ended up dyeing my gi because it was getting too dingy. I found, though, that using fabric softener helps the pants from getting stiff or clinging to my skin. Best I have used is Milsoft. I used about a quarter cup on my gi a month ago and it's still soft. Amazing stuff.

What are ya gong to get?

I am getting the Mantis. Christo's attentiveness to my order and professionalism won me over. Plus the gi just seems so much better than the Vulkan U/L. I just have to wait until payday so I can place my order.

I am getting the Mantis. Christo's attentiveness to my order and professionalism won me over. Plus the gi just seems so much better than the Vulkan U/L. I just have to wait until payday so I can place my order.

Let us know how it goes!

I hope this is helpful.

Is the Mantis pretty light? Also does it get heavy with sweat as you roll?

I sweat like crazy and I've never noticed the gi top to get heavy. The pants are quite stiff and tend to stick to my legs when I get sweaty, but the top remains pretty light. I remember their website saying that the Mantis would include rip-stop pants for a limited time only. I wonder if it would be better with some regular drill cotton pants or something like that.

On a side note, I was packing my bag for training the other day and thought about throwing my Vulkan Ultralite in to train in that gi, but opted for my Fushida because I quickly remembered how sloppy the Vulkan can get. The Fushida does a much better job of maintaining it's shape and feel even when I roll with bigger and more experience guys.

Thanks for the reply. Still going for the Mantis. Just got a good feeling about it! :D

Good plan, I think it is a good gi at a good price. I wonder if you could ask Christo about regular pants instead of rip-stop. I'm not sure if you like rip-stop pants or not, but if you get the Fushida rip stop pants they are really stiff. They are so stiff I consider wearing my Atama rip-stop pants with my Fushida gi top because the Atama pants are so much more comfortable.

When I say Fushida, I'm referring to the Mantis, I don't own a Komodo. I guess I am just in the habit of referring to my Mantis as Fushida since it is the brand name, like Atama, or Shoyoroll and Mantis is the model.

I believe they're still shipping with ripstop pants but hopefully supergrappler or someone else will confirm/deny.

I believe they're still shipping with ripstop pants but hopefully supergrappler or someone else will confirm/deny.

Christo advised me that the mantis does ship with ripstop pants. I love my atama ripstops so I am hoping that the fushida ripstops are just as good. I ordered on Friday morning so I assume it will be shipped tomorrow.

Back