Fun fact: Aldo went 25-0 to start his FW career

• Thread starter Deleted member 549255
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 549255

This 25 fight win streak included 9 title defenses. Impressive.

His early loss was a short notice fill-in gig at LW.

Credit to @Rum for pointing this out. Never realized this until he told me.

Aldo is one of the best of all time, no doubt. Only new fans who joined in the Conor era think otherwise.

His prime was in the WEC and he already showed signs of slowing in his UFC run. By the time Conor and Holloway got to him he was past it and looked physically different.

In before the gobblers come in with gifs

Crazy, a past prime Aldo with 28+ fights and 13+ years of fighting (including amateur career) was still able to go toe to toe with the young killer Max Holloway twice. Who also happens to be oversized as hell and should be at LW.

He went out on his shield twice with a true warrior/GOAT mentality too. No giving up his neck, no tapping to strikes.

Max has also never been the same since these wars. Hasn’t made it to his last three scheduled fights....Imagine how good Prime Aldo vs Holloway would’ve been.

Aldo is one of the best of all time, no doubt. Only new fans who joined in the Conor era think otherwise.
I am pretty sure that Conor fans held him in high regard, since smoking an all time great fighter in 13 seconds is an incredible feat.

I am pretty sure that Conor fans held him in high regard, since smoking an all time great fighter in 13 seconds is an incredible feat.
Conor fans who already were MMA fans maybe. A huge percentage of Conor's fan base only know him for 13 seconds.

9 title defenses > 0 title defenses

This is part of why it's so frustrating to be a JON JONES fan. Dude's my favourite fighter to watch but he still has work to do.

While overexcited casuals fall over themselves to prematurely proclaim JONNY BONES the greatest ever, the hardcores know that with his record at LHW being 23-0 (yeah, yeah, Hamill was a "loss" blah, blah, blah) and 8 defenses JON still hasn't climbed as high on GOAT mountain as JOSE ALDO did.

"JON hasn't fallen yet"
"Sure, and I love watching that dude fight too, but he also still hasn't reached JOSE's altitude yet"

To get beyond what ALDO has already done JON either has to get past JOSE's 25-0, 9 defenses in his own division or to get a win above his division (which ALDO wasn't able to do, although, to be fair, ALDO did do his business in a deeper weight class - one deep enough that he never was allowed to defend against the equivalent of what Jones had in Vitor and Chael - consecutive MWs with zero fights at LHW for half a decade or more).

And of course it seems very likely JON can and will do those things - especially with LHW and HW being so abysmally shallow - but giving credit for what might happen is for the desperate.

His prime was in the WEC and he already showed signs of slowing in his UFC run. By the time Conor and Holloway got to him he was past it and looked physically different.
bullshit he's still knocking out top contenders , conor and holloway just have his number

Crazy, a past prime Aldo with 28+ fights and 13+ years of fighting (including amateur career) was still able to go toe to toe with the young killer Max Holloway twice. Who also happens to be oversized as hell and should be at LW.

He went out on his shield twice with a true warrior/GOAT mentality too. No giving up his neck, no tapping to strikes.

Max has also never been the same since these wars. Hasn’t made it to his last three scheduled fights....Imagine how good Prime Aldo vs Holloway would’ve been.
he wasn't past his prime, prove it

I think Aldo loses to Conor and Max at any point in his career.

No disrespect to the man. He's had by far the best FW career we've seen yet and is one of the greats of the sport. But that's MMA. Everyone has a weakness, and Aldo's is long, tall strikers.

For the longest time, Aldo was the boogie man at FW. SCARFACE!!

He's one of the greatest champions in UFC history and future HOF without a doubt.

I think Aldo loses to Conor and Max at any point in his career.

No disrespect to the man. He's had by far the best FW career we've seen yet and is one of the greats of the sport. But that's MMA. Everyone has a weakness, and Aldo's is long, tall strikers.

Aldo in his prime used to take down strikers.

Remember what Chad did to Conor? Remember what Aldo did to KZ? And Homminick (who had a far better gas tank than pre-Nate Conor did)? And even Lamas, who has a wrestling background? Aldo has an even better TD success rate than Chad does, and a significantly better top game.

This was my fear as a Conor fan, before he was able to piss Aldo off so bad he forgot that keeping your weight over your feet is a good idea when you're charging in to flurry against an elite striker before you have his timing down yet.

But a cool-headed Aldo against the Conor who hadn't yet learned the hard lessons Nate taught him? Conor would've been mince meat. A younger Max would have been too.

Last edited:
Yes, Aldo is under appreciated.

Even in his fight/feud with Conor he (consciously or unconsciously) made a double turn and effectively helped building up the historic event.

Well, that was poor wordings on my part, but you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back