Fun and games

Walt Ruckus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Do you ever do any "drills" or "sparring" that's just not your average "let's start from the knees and go 1 on 1" -type of training? Tonight we were split into two teams and we got to roll against the other team. The trick was that higher belts (blues and up) had to tuck one of their hands under their belts which made things a lot more interesting.

I gotta admit, it was fun as hell! A nice way to break the daily routine. What do you all think? Does your school encourage this kind of training?

Sometimes we play King of the Mat. You all get in line against the wall. The first guy starts out as king and takes the center of the mat while the second in line comes in. You start standing and go for a takedown, then whoever gets a dominant posistion first either becomes or retains the title as king. Next in line comes. The person who is king once everybody has gone is named The King.

Other than that, no, not really.

At wrestling, we would sometimes break up practice with dodgeball or a KOTH game like you described (except there were no belts). Once we even did sumo wrestling instead!!! At grappling practice at one place I train, we will play shark bate: basically the guy in the center stays in until he is submitted. At another place we will have informal tournaments and round robins instead of normal practice. At yet a different club, we would sometimes switch to Judo matches instead of randori. I personally miss dodgeball...

Yeah its really great to mix it up, just always have a defined purpose with the "game"...

War games is hilarious. Split the class, shirts and skins, and have them fight. You get awesome things happening like people getting armbared on each arm, or RNC'd while RNC'd.

ummm yea "war games" sounds like an accident waiting to happen

is putting on gloves getting in a cage and kicking the shit out of each outher a fun game? if so then yes

Richard Emling said:
is putting on gloves getting in a cage and kicking the shit out of each outher a fun game? if so then yes

No, it is considered brutal and uncivilized. A guy could get hurt!

Another game could be one team can only do one submission adn the other a different submission, but the head instructor will be the one to let you know which one. When someone taps, that's a point for the team. Make it a race to 5

I just got the grappling drills dvd by Stephan Kesting. I can't wait to start using it. It's targeted towards beginner-intermediate so it should carry me for a good 2 years tops. It's awesome because it helps develop all these little fine points on the mat and makes all these movements instinctive, and improves your grappling really fast. I want to put together a similar program for stand-up fighting.

We do alot of gaurd passing, mount escape, man in the middle type drills.

we played mat football...split it up half it ended up being like 15 on 15 everyone stays on their knees and one guy gets the football...you win if you can tap out the guy with the football but he can throw the football to anyone he wants...it is acutally bad to have the ball but if the guy with the ball can get to the opposite wall from where he started then one person from the other team gets eliminated...its kinda hard to explain but it was crazy as hell...high school wrestling teams play it a lot too but with pins instead of tap outs

Aesopian said:
War games is hilarious. Split the class, shirts and skins, and have them fight. You get awesome things happening like people getting armbared on each arm, or RNC'd while RNC'd.
haha it must be a bitch rolling against 2 opponents!

I once had my arm over extended by an arm bar and wanted to practice while recovering. Tucking one arm under the belt was great practice, showed me some new alternatives to passing guard.

Back