Full upper workout

STRYDG

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So I'm trying to get into the gym a bit more often so looking at doing a full upper body routine with as little exercises as possible. Let me know what you lot think.

3 sets - 6 reps
Bar bench press
Bar or cable row

3 sets - 10 reps
Chin ups
Weighted dips

Now is military press required cos after some heavy bench and dips has it already hit the shoulders hard enough? Otherwise is there anything else I should incorporate?

Are you doing all of this on the same day? What do the rest of your workouts look like?

One of my Upper Workout is

(Low-Moderate Intensity, ~75%, Higher Volume)

Barbell Flat Bench-> 25-30 reps, 5x5 or whatever set rep scheme

Either Incline Bench, A bench variation, Narrow Grip Bench, or OHP depending on whether I want to focus on chest volume, tricep volume, or shoulder volume usually at around 70%-> 18-24 reps

Powercleans or Barbell Rows-> 3x3 for powercleans or 5x5 for rows

Then finish off, depending on what I wanna get a bit extra volume on (chest, tricep, shoulder, back) could do any of these exercises, usually pick 1 or 2 depending on how much I have in the tank.

Weighted Dips
Dumbell Flies
Tricep Pulldowns
Skullcrushers
Lateral/Front Delt Raises
Face Pulls
Weighted chins
Lat Pulldowns
Cable Rows

That is one of my two Upper Workouts, the second one being the opposite (High Intensity, Low Volume)
Have gotten good results programming like this.

Are you doing all of this on the same day? What do the rest of your workouts look like?

Yeah thats a single day. I'll do a leg day with minimal exercises too, squats and deadlifts. Again 3x6 going heavy like the upper workout.

After every workout I will not hit the upper or lower again till I've had 2 days off so usually:

Day 1: upper
Day 2: lower
Day 3: rest
Then repeat

My other work outs are more involved, I just wanted 2 days of go hard with little number of movements but hitting all groups.

On another day I'm doing lots of exercises but the way to speed up my session is Ill do 1 set of say bench, then 1 of bicep. So not resting as much but using alternating muscles to get more in faster so I'm not at the gym for 2 hours.

Day 1:
Incline press
Flies
Dips (non weighted)
Military press
Rear delt flies
Side raises
Curls
Triceps push down
Row
Lat pull down
Face pull
Shrugs
Wrist stuff

Day 2:
Leg press
Goblet squats
Calf raises
Lunges
Ham curls
Quad raises

So I'm trying to get into the gym a bit more often so looking at doing a full upper body routine with as little exercises as possible. Let me know what you lot think.

3 sets - 6 reps
Bar bench press
Bar or cable row

3 sets - 10 reps
Chin ups
Weighted dips

Now is military press required cos after some heavy bench and dips has it already hit the shoulders hard enough? Otherwise is there anything else I should incorporate?

That's fine, especially if you have a high-volume, multi-exercise day later in the week (though that upper body day looks insane to me).

Do a search for abbreviated training programs, especially by people like Pavel Tsatsouline, Brooks Kubik, Stuart McRoberts, John Christy, and Dan John. You can build some serious strength and size on a minimalist program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back