frustrated by the GAYEST sub defense ever

Dirty Holt

Black Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
so im going hard fighting a guy, no strikes, and the dude kept wrapping his fingers in his long ass hair to avoid submissions. at first i laughed, then i got frustrated because his defense was fuckin unstoppable. i nailed him in like ten keylocks and americanas, and he would wrap his fingers in his hair and there was no way in hell i was gonna get any pressure. i even armbarred this dude and he grabbed his hair and i couldnt get him. is this even legal? i got a good laugh out of it, but damn, it actually worked like a fuckin charm.

WOW ! I thought I had heard it all. Makes you wonder how he came up w/that technique.. . I think I would have choked him out w/his own locks (assuming they where long enough).

Like a gi, long hair works both ways. Ask Kimo or that Paulson(?) guy who got owned by the boxer.

we werent striking, he is a bjj guy. brute force absolutely didnt work, trust me i tried it. i actually abandonned all arm locks, and went to knee bars and heel hooks. if he would have somehow locked his toes into his hair i would have shit my pants, ate my hat, and walked out of the building an amazed and confused person.

Wow, that's interesting.

I would have thought the pain of hair-pulling (even if he is the one actually doing the pulling) would have rendered this concept unworkable.

Leglocks, yes. Hell hooks. Kneebars. Etc....

I have to ask how much force you are applying to an armbar, since a handful of hair seems to be enough to stop you from extending the arm. I understand if this is a friend, and you just didn't want to go balls-out on him while he has a handful of hair, sure. But in a real "live" go, I wouldn't be able to really believe a guy wasn't as strong as a handful of hair.

You could sweep back and turn that armbar into a triangle, as well. Once you sink that, he can grab his hair all he wants to.

It's a weird concept.

CharlieBrown said:
Wow, that's interesting.

I would have thought the pain of hair-pulling (even if he is the one actually doing the pulling) would have rendered this concept unworkable.

Leglocks, yes. Hell hooks. Kneebars. Etc....

I have to ask how much force you are applying to an armbar, since a handful of hair seems to be enough to stop you from extending the arm. I understand if this is a friend, and you just didn't want to go balls-out on him while he has a handful of hair, sure. But in a real "live" go, I wouldn't be able to really believe a guy wasn't as strong as a handful of hair.

You could sweep back and turn that armbar into a triangle, as well. Once you sink that, he can grab his hair all he wants to.

It's a weird concept.

Hair pulling varies depending on the kind of hair you have.

My hair is really really thick, so a good handful of it is like a billion hairs, so the pull is really spread out. Someone with thin hair, you could rip a handful out.

Just when you think you've learned all there is to know about fighting, the evolution continues.

wow, seriously i thought i had seen it all with "fake taps"..now this, id say leglocks of course and if u really want the arm switch to a threat with a bicept splicer and wristlocks to make him let go of his hair then finish it, but a good splicer does wonders.

hahaha nice submission defence, any pics?

Dirty Holt said:
at first i laughed, then i got frustrated because his defense was fuckin unstoppable.

I don't know why, but that is the funniest shit ever.

But still, how can someone tug on their own hair that hard without having any of it pulled out?

Pulling hair is a submission in itself to some people. Damn.

If you keep cranking the sub attempt won't his hair eventually get ripped out? I would keep trying to finish a sub to see if that would happen. At least his sub defense isn't checking your oil.

It's a question of him grabing enough hair to spread the pressure around his scalp. Kinda like lying on a bed of nails. To finish the arm bar when he grabed his hair maybe grab the hand and the guys hair too, but don't grab big clumps, maybe in smaller sections.

Wow!
Never heard of that one before.
Although it might not be so easy to get away with in my weight division though...

Back