FRODO: what is your favorite/most successful sweep from half guard?

Funny seeing myself in such an old video.

Good times training at Bob's House of Ass Kicking with Master Yao and the Timer of Justice.

Bob's House of Ass Kicking rocked! Nobody named Bob was there!

ok, since this not a simple PM question anymore -- why do you prefer the getting-on-your-knees-driving method to the, i guess, more traditional foot-grab/old school way?

If I can, I grab the foot and try driving that way. However, a lot of times the guy will move his leg away so I can't grab it. I could do Plan B, but instead I find I still have a lot of leverage from my position so I don't want to automatically give it up. Blocking the knee also works to finish it, and it is easier for me to reach. (I'm short, but even for my height I have a short reach.)

Angling slightly differently lets me finish the sweep too; because, they narrow their base by moving their foot away. Think about the Gracie self-defense moves from the t-position, and you'll see why this works. In fact, practicing GSD helps my other techniques; because, they help train precise usage of principles.

very cool, thanks

what i've done in the past is go for the foot-grab first before anything, and then go for the back if the uke sprawls his foot away, but this gives me some new options i haven't thought about before

Back