FRODO: what is your favorite/most successful sweep from half guard?

wildcard_seven

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've heard talking about it in another thread, and asked you there, but you didn't reveal it to me. You probably said it sometime but this seemed easier than going through all your posts with a fine-tooth comb.

You said it's good, and it works for you, and it works almost to a fault....I must know....

a personal message is usually the best way to ask a question like this...

Yah...but wouldn't everybody else enjoy this? Huh? Huh?

Yah, I messed up. I'll PM if he doesn't reply.

shrimp the hips out...establish one hook in...hook sweep.

or eddie bravo's old school

shrimp the hips out...establish one hook in...hook sweep.

or eddie bravo's old school

These are my two bread and butter half guard sweeps also.

Recently been trying to add the Electric chair if they over defend the Old school.

So far been having pretty good success with switching between them.

lol is it a secret?

HAHA. Here's what I sent him:

Frodo said:
It is basically a single leg from half guard using your feet. Here's the technique:
Frodo's Grappling Log: Driving Sweep

That's me recording the video, and Balto being the Uke. Balto and Drew (the guy demoing the move) were my first instructors.

Balto does it to me early in this match (which I won):
Jimmy Cerra Versus Randy Jones BJJ Match

I did it in the middle of this match (which I lost):
Jimmy Cerra - Kumite Classic 2006 - Second Gi Match

I did it after about 1:40 in this match:
Jimmy Cerra - Kumite Classic 2006 - First Gi Match

I was playing around too much in this match. Eventually I just got fed up, switched to half guard and swept him:
Jimmy Cerra - 155 advanced gi - match 2 - Midwest Grappling Open - Nov 2007

I did it to this guy a few times:
Midwest Grappling Open 2007 - blue belt 155 pounds - Jimmy Cerra 3rd match

I did to this guy a few times too more as a single leg:
Jimmy Cerra - US Grappling July 07 - no-gi match 1

That's the driving sweep? I did that the other day. I was attempting old school and I couldn't get the leg so I ended up doing that sweep. Good to know. Thanks for posting those.

wouldn't it just be easier to take the back from that position?

ok, just in the instruction for that move in Frodo's log, the guy wasn't wizzering, and i was thinking, just take the back... also in Frodo's vid of his tournament, i also saw that taking the back was a real option...

Taking the back is the first part of that half guard series. Most people end up fighting that, so I end up sweeping instead. I feel I have more options from side control anyway, and will transition to mount and back control afterward.

Taking the back is the first part of that half guard series. Most people end up fighting that, so I end up sweeping instead. I feel I have more options from side control anyway, and will transition to mount and back control afterward.

Frodo, what would you say your percentage of finishing from the back is?

ok, since this not a simple PM question anymore -- why do you prefer the getting-on-your-knees-driving method to the, i guess, more traditional foot-grab/old school way?

Back