French teacher on leave after verbal fight with students

I would have to say that making fun of some students religion as part of the cirriculum is a no no too. I doubt Jewish students would be happy if you made a pro-holocaust cartoon. Americans would be pissed if a teacher was showing pro-911 cartoons.

Schools shouldn't be trumpeting the worst aspects of freedom of speech, they should be showing the positive ways that it can be used to make changes in government and society. Not teaching that spreading hate is good.

If it is ok to be critical of Nazis, then it is ok to be critical of Islam. Why should religion get a pass.

Seeing as how the Holocaust was a genocidal event and Muhammed was a warlord that preached hate and intolerance, your comparison is odd to say the least.

Criticizing Muhammed and his ideology is the best aspect of Free speech since we are talking about an ideology that is totalitarian.

Who do you think is trying to make outrage out of the pic being shown? Why am I even wasting time.

It's not above Islam to make this an issue when their own religion makes a role-model of their "prophet" who had sex with a 9 year old. The religion can't even condemn that but go into an uproar of faux hurt over a cartoon which was more than likely a Charlie Hedbo satyrical cartoon on the topic of freedom of speech. I'm sorry if you can't connect the dots labeled "Point 1" and "Point 2".

Yeah, we hear a lot alot about how Christians have never been offended, because they dont condemn Lot all the time. Or condemn Jesus for being a vandal (he broke those poor bankers tables!)

You bring this up a lot that Muslims should just take any abuse because they are Muslims and dont hate their prophet. For being Muslims basically.

This might surprise you, but most people dont like to be insulted right to their face, no matter what religion they are.

Yeah, by holocaust deniers. its belittling a group based on their religion, and it has no place in public schools. Either example.

There is a vast difference between what should be covered under freedom of speech and what should be taught in schools. Public schools should be inclusive learning environments.

Holocaust denial isn't about belittling based on religion, it is about ethnicity or race.

If it is ok to be critical of Nazis, then it is ok to be critical of Islam. Why should religion get a pass.

Seeing as how the Holocaust was a genocidal event and Muhammed was a warlord that preached hate and intolerance, your comparison is odd to say the least.

Criticizing Muhammed and his ideology is the best aspect of Free speech since we are talking about an ideology that is totalitarian.

There is quite a bit of difference between criticizing the ideology and intentionally offending them. Especially in a school setting, since the teacher was alienating part of his class.

There is quite a bit of difference between criticizing the ideology and intentionally offending them. Especially in a school setting, since the teacher was alienating part of his class.

So if a bunch of White students were offended at portrays of Naizs or KKK or colonials, would you still support them and not the teacher doing the offending.

If some old man shows an 11 year old daughter of mine a naked picture of some guy, cartoon or not, it's time to throw down.

But in a way, given that Mohammed did actually used to get naked with 11 year old's, this whole picture thing makes a certain historical sense.

So if a bunch of White students were offended at portrays of Naizs or KKK or colonials, would you still support them and not the teacher doing the offending.

If the teacher was intentionally trying to alienate his students and was aware that he had a bunch of them, yes. Schools should not be for pushing a teachers dislike for a segment of his students as part of the curriculum. I am sure a teacher could think of some kind of other example that will actually get a student to learn the material, instead of the class being a political soapbox.

But in a way, given that Mohammed did actually used to get naked with 11 year old's, this whole picture thing makes a certain historical sense.

Another person in favor of showing naked pictures of Mohammed to children. Appalling.

Another person in favor of showing naked pictures of Mohammed to children. Appalling.

Now you're even leaving out the word cartoon. And you're making the picture plural. And you don't even know what the picture was like - caricature or life-like (more than likely it was a Hedbo-like caricature). And you don't know how naked this pic was (maybe he was in diapers or just had a shirt off).

Now you're even leaving out the word cartoon. And you're making the picture plural. And you don't even know what the picture was like - caricature or life-like (more than likely it was a Hedbo-like caricature). And you don't know how naked this pic was (maybe he was in diapers or just had a shirt off).

Pretty safe bet it was a caricature.

Even so, please keep you cartoons of naked pedos away from children.

Kinda disturbing how many posters think that 11 years olds should be looking at naked pictures of Mohammed.

Somehow I dont think they would be so supporting if it were a Muslim school doing that.

Yeah, even by sherdog standards I was surpised by the replies.

This is one of the few times I'm 100% in agreement with you. Showing cartoons mocking someone's religion in school is way out of line. It's like if teachers here in the US would show a Jesus cartoon, say kissing a man to prove a point. People would be rightfully offended. Teach kids objectively, don't bring in your own opinion into the classroom.

Teach kids objectively, don't bring in your own opinion into the classroom.

exactly. teachers play such a significant role in a child's life & can make all the difference. when parents are away & working, with their kids in schools, I'm sure most will agree, you'd want values that are appropriate to be instilled within them, not matters that the teacher is partial to & using their time to vent about them.

back in my schooling years, teachers weren't even allowed to share if they're democrat or republican.

Difference between Jesus and Muhammed, is that the later was a genocidal warlord.

A naked cartoon of Muhammed is a drawing, not like it is an actual photograph of a naked man.

School should teach history, civics, our rights and liberties etc.. Muhammed cartoons serve to teach and explain our freedom of speech.
Freedom of speech and pushing YOUR viewpoints on others are two different things.

I get the vibe that if the situation was reversed and a muslim teacher was pushing his viewpoint on children you would scream bloody murder .

But since in this case its a French teacher pushing his viewpoint that

You have to feel for 7437 in this thread. Guy is fencing with people armed with pool noodles.

I'm not a fan of Mohammed, but forcing students to look at nudies of him is needlessly antagonistic and furthermore inappropriate for the classroom. As a Christian, I would be displeased with teachers inserting inflammatory pictures of a nude Moses into the curriculum, if not for the religious insensitivity then for the impropriety in the setting.

Freedom of speech and pushing YOUR viewpoints on others are two different things.

I get the vibe that if the situation was reversed and a muslim teacher was pushing his viewpoint on children you would scream bloody murder .

But since in this case its a French teacher pushing his viewpoint that

By that logic a teacher introducing material relating to race,history,culture,social issues can be construed as pushing his/her viewpoint. You would be quite busy accusing a lot of social science teachers on how they are pushing their viewpoints.

Muhammed cartoon is a major social and cultural issue in France at the moment. It brings to fore Freedom of Speech. You are ignoring these aspects of the Muhammed cartoons and making it sound like the teacher's action takes place in a vacuum.

Honestly if a teacher did this in my college, he would get a beating. But then I grew up in the late 90s and things were different back then

Back