freestyle wrestling and bjj

grappler1979

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i currently train in jkd/combat submission wrestling and bjj
i do nothing on a tuesdays and the bjj academy is now running a no gi class then.
also a freestyle wrestling class has opened up locally to me.
which would be better for me and any advice would be appreciated
cheers

wrestling as a sport is underrated imo. its much more technical in a sport atmosphere than mma, and you will learn some hot hot takedowns that will work like a charm in no gi tournaments. contrary to what artoffighting said, i would advocate learning it outside of school (if thats even an option). my high school wrestling team's practice was much more grinding it out, drilling and conditioning than it was learning technique - probably because most good wrestlers have been doing it since the womb.

that being said, i dont want to touch the wrestling vs submission wrestling thing.

I would make friends with one of the guys at freestyle wrassle'n and have them teach you take downs.

i just find i do stand up and then submission work but there is no concentration on the transition inbetween
yes
i can punch and kick then do armbars
but what about the middle?

I'd say go for the wrestling. Its tough to learn takedowns better from any other martial arts, and if you're training with real wrestlers and you can take them down/defend their takedowns, then you're going to be solid in MMA.

grappler1979 said:
i just find i do stand up and then submission work but there is no concentration on the transition inbetween
yes
i can punch and kick then do armbars
but what about the middle?

Good point. I often wonder the same thing. Especially since we always spar from the knees in my Sambo class. I understand why we do it that way (you need less mat space when you start from knees and the mat space is already crowded), but you don't develop much of a TD defense from starting on knees.

The transition for me is also a mystery. I figure that many of the 'throws' we use from the knees can also be used from the clich. So I suppose the transition would be standup, to clinch, to groundwork...

aaron_mag said:
Good point. I often wonder the same thing. Especially since we always spar from the knees in my Sambo class. I understand why we do it that way (you need less mat space when you start from knees and the mat space is already crowded), but you don't develop much of a TD defense from starting on knees.

The transition for me is also a mystery. I figure that many of the 'throws' we use from the knees can also be used from the clich. So I suppose the transition would be standup, to clinch, to groundwork...

exactly
in my jkd/cws class we spend the first hour doing stand up then the second hour starting from knees and there isnt much emphasis on the inbetween.

also is freestly good, im in the uk and we know nothing really about wrestling so please im a fucking noob. i hear greco roman is the best style so should i hunt for that instead of freestyle?
what can i expect to find in a freestly wrestling class?
cheers for all your help guys?

From what I understand, freestyle is great. It is most similar to our colleigate style wrestling in the USA. The only real difference is you can stall to get stood up in Freestyle.

Greco is upper body stuff. You can't touch the legs. So while it is good for clinch throws (which is why Couture is so good from the clinch) it probably isn't as good with mat work. Couture, of course, is well versed in both. He was a championship level collegiate wrestler.

I think freestyle will serve you well...

grappler1979 said:
exactly
in my jkd/cws class we spend the first hour doing stand up then the second hour starting from knees and there isnt much emphasis on the inbetween.

also is freestly good, im in the uk and we know nothing really about wrestling so please im a fucking noob. i hear greco roman is the best style so should i hunt for that instead of freestyle?
what can i expect to find in a freestly wrestling class?
cheers for all your help guys?

Greco is terrible if you want to learn leg shots, or leg shot defense, because leg contact is not allowed. Freestyle has all the same moves as greco, with the added bonus of of leg attacks. Same clinch work and everything.

I teach a wrestlin class at my club, and they way I usually break down the class is into an offence move and the defensive response. For instance I'll teach a single leg take down, have everyone drill it, then teach the whizzer (which is the defense for the single) and have everyone drill that. Then I'll do situation sparing. One guy takes the single leg, the other guy puts in the whizzer, then they scrimage 100%.
Then I might do a couple of 6 minute matches.

thanks for the help guys
so adding a day of freestlye wrestling would be better tha having a day of no gi bjj?

Back