Freestyle Jiu-Jitsu verses Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Jimmy Cerra

Amateur Fighter
@Black
Reaction score
What is the difference between freestyle jiu-jitsu and Brazilian jiu-jitsu?

Last edited:
Sorry if I don't get into specifics, but grappling is grappling is grappling. Doesn't matter what you call it, it's all grappling. Some styles just focus on different thing. BJJ the guard, Sambo the leg locks, Judo the throws. Really no difference but the name.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
Sorry if I don't get into specifics, but grappling is grappling is grappling. Doesn't matter what you call it, it's all grappling. Some styles just focus on different thing. BJJ the guard, Sambo the leg locks, Judo the throws. Really no difference but the name.

agreed

yea but come on, not all "grappling styles" have merit. There are alot of "fakes" out there who teach half arsed grappling. Just visit the two academines and decide for yourself.

it's possible he calls it freestyle jiu jitsu so he can put on a BB and still suck

Freestyle JJ may mean that he focuses on nogi as well. It is hard to say. Jeremy Horn is a FJJ guy, and he is very good.

his instructor is walt bayless,

he made some JJ tapes a while back on black belt mag.

Mark Schultz trained under him.

I've seen Walts students fight in MMA against some solid BJJ black belt guys and they did well.
so I would think its not bad.
To me it would be like going to a Judo school, not saying its like Judo, but saying its
probably more sport orientated.
where as to BJJ maybe more skill orientated.

blanko said:
yea but come on, not all "grappling styles" have merit. There are alot of "fakes" out there who teach half arsed grappling. Just visit the two academines and decide for yourself.

No matter what you do, grappling is grappling. If its on the ground, or close quarters, then its grappling. If the certain style teaches crap moves, then it will make a crap fighter. Its always the grappler, and not the style. Remember the wise words of Chris Leben, "If you suck shit, you suck shit."

http://freestylejiujitsu.net/

What Style is Freestyle Jiu-Jitsu

Freestyle Jiu Jitsu devotes equal time to the stand up and the ground game of self defense This in addition to defense from stick, club and knife attacks are what makes up the foundation of Freestyle Jiu-Jitsu. The goal of Freestyle Jiu-Jitsu is to teach effective and simple techniques that can be employed with in a short time of learning them. Though this art focuses on teaching the most practical self defense from any punch, grab, or attack that one might encounter on the streets, it's main goal is to help students realize that the best self defense is the ability to diffuse and walk away from an unnecessary confrontation

Superbeast said:
http://freestylejiujitsu.net/

What Style is Freestyle Jiu-Jitsu

Freestyle Jiu Jitsu devotes equal time to the stand up and the ground game of self defense This in addition to defense from stick, club and knife attacks are what makes up the foundation of Freestyle Jiu-Jitsu. The goal of Freestyle Jiu-Jitsu is to teach effective and simple techniques that can be employed with in a short time of learning them. Though this art focuses on teaching the most practical self defense from any punch, grab, or attack that one might encounter on the streets, it's main goal is to help students realize that the best self defense is the ability to diffuse and walk away from an unnecessary confrontation

So, TJJ brought into the 90s?

Cool.

Superbeast said:

Awww....that's cute.

(In an english child accent) "Duddy, duddy!! Look what I made duddy!!"

That's from the site I linked to and gave credit to. I guess that wasn't obvious enough.

What exactly are you on about with the "duddy" thing? I never lost sleep over Magic Man posting. You're 3 years my junior anyway so I don't get your seniority bit.

Superbeast said:
That's from the site I linked to and gave credit to. I guess that wasn't obvious enough.

What exactly are you on about with the "duddy" thing?

With an english accent, "daddy" sounds more like "duddy"
Nothing about magic man here.

Um... no, not really. I guess you haven't been to England.

Superbeast said:
Um... no, not really. I guess you haven't been to England.

Oh, I guess you would know being from england. I saw the South Park episode, "Here comes the Neiborhood" And all the rich kids said, "Duddy" instead of "daddy". So I thought all people in England talked like that. I learn most of what I know from South Park. Sorry if I insulted you.

It's better then nothing my advice is to look around. take your time to find the right place for you.

spiderguardman said:
it's possible he calls it freestyle jiu jitsu so he can put on a BB and still suck

this is the most likely case. i've never heard of the style being mentioned in ADCC, mundials, pan-ams, GQ, NAGA, etc. horn's fightfinder says free style jiujitsu........but is he the only recognizable practitioner? his looks like BJJ to me.

Back