Freestyle Jiu-Jitsu verses Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

this thread is really funny now that Dominic is a mod

No matter what you do, grappling is grappling. If its on the ground, or close quarters, then its grappling. If the certain style teaches crap moves, then it will make a crap fighter. Its always the grappler, and not the style. Remember the wise words of Chris Leben, "If you suck shit, you suck shit."

didn't you just contradict yourself? A grappler is a product of his training and if his training is bad then he will be a bad grappler.

I would say BJJ becuase im more familiar with it and it has proven to be whoop ass

blanko said:
didn't you just contradict yourself? A grappler is a product of his training and if his training is bad then he will be a bad grappler.

actually i didnt. im giving people ideas and letting there minds take over from there.

Pat Miletich is listed as a Freestyle Jiu-Jitsu fighter.

demolidor77 said:
is that good or bad for fjj?

I'd say that's pretty good. Considering Pat Miletich is a pretty big name in MMA.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
Sorry if I don't get into specifics, but grappling is grappling is grappling. Doesn't matter what you call it, it's all grappling. Some styles just focus on different thing. BJJ the guard, Sambo the leg locks, Judo the throws. Really no difference but the name.

agreed.

i keep telling my friend this, over and over again, but he always tries to break things down and categorize grappling. when grappling is really all gravy.

spiderguardman said:
it's possible he calls it freestyle jiu jitsu so he can put on a BB and still suck
Amen brother. Our instructor is a third degree purple under Ciaque. Two of our white belts went to a new BJJ school about 20 minutes away and submitted therir two BB. I guess the BB asked them if they were suing steroids or something. Our guys were like 175 lbs.

You get some jokers out there. It takes like 10 years to get a BB in BJJ. Two years to get a blue belt, going twice a week. But I have also seen some guys that do nothing but watch tapes and roll and tehy are great. Only they suck for teaching. Find a legitimate instructor under a Machado, or a Gracie that is a purple belt. Only then are you able to teach as far as I am concerned.

Back