Frankie's wrestling vs. Chads

It might be a battle of transitions...

Chad edges Frankie from wrasslin to striking while Frankie edges Chad striking to wrasslin OR...

What I see more likely is Frankie is better; much better everywhere and stops him.

Making this fight makes it easy for McDana to duck one of these guys after a full training camp.

Both guys' MMA wrestling closely resembles their wrestling in college.

Mendes relied on heavy head pressure, hard collar ties, wiping down over ties, and a power based hip attack.

Edgar used speed and movement with his footwork, snapped to get out of ties, used fakes, and generally went low with leg attacks.

It is very coincidental that Frankie used primarily a west coast California style offense coming from NJ, while Chad used a more east coast/Pennsylvania style coming from CA.

Chad has had to adapt his wrestling much more to suit MMA than Frankie has, but he has done very well and may actually have a speed advantage when within penetration range of the hips.

Frankie slammed Maynard and took Bendo down.

There is not one person at 145 and 155 Frankie cant take down. Might as well put the 135 division on notice. Edgar's going to be the first 3-division champion.

The difference will be negligible enough for Frankie to stuff the vast majority of Chad's take downs. Meanwhile, the difference in speed, striking, cardio and heart will not be negligible and Frankie will finish Chad late.

It's going to be awesome, I can't wait. :D

I mean when everything is stacked together they're really in the same class but maybe Frankie's heart has to be accounted for here somewhere.

I agree with you, Frankie has a lot of intangibles that better fighters lack, but at the same time though, Chad has legit KO power on the feet and his ground and pound is more dangerous than Frankie's. I think this bout stays on the feet for the most part, but I really think Mendes has the edge. If Mendes can rock Frankie on the feet, I could see him finishing him, since he has better killer instinct than Maynard or Henderson at this stage of his career.

This is a really interesting fight. Chad is the more explosive athlete and is a little better pure wrestler. Frankie is more creative in his setups and has a more diverse takedown game (he mixes in judo techniques here and there with his wrestling). It's tough to say who is "better" at wrestling in MMA but Frankie getting Aldo down a couple times, taking down Benson and slamming Maynard is pretty impressive for a guy his size.

I still think Frankie will take Chad down at least twice and Chad will too but probably won't be able to hold Frankie down that long. Will be a great fight and lets see who comes in ready and with a game plan.

Frankie all the way. He has experience taking down welterweight wrestlers like Bendo and had much more success wrestling against Aldo than Mendes did.

Mendes is a technical wrestler, with good grappling. Frankie is an unorthodox wrestler with great dirty boxing. This fight is deceiving because Mendes is the better wrestler, but Frankie has the better TDD being quicker.

With their wrestling being pretty damn close to even, I see them standing towards the later rounds.

Edgar is the better mma wrestler, his level changes and top control are better.

In a pure wrestling match, I'd give the edge to Chad.

In MMA, if we're talking takedowns, I like Frankie's better. He times them so well that you just go down without a fight. You don't have much of a chance to put up a fight. Chad relies more on his strength and explosion to get the TD. I would consider Frankie more efficient when it comes to MMA wrestling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back