Frank Shamrock will reconcile with Ken and will be in his corner for the Royce Fight!

This is nice news.

Good stuff by the shamrock men. Now lets hope these old legends provides something exciting

They should get the second most well known Gracie to corner Royce (I guess Renzo?).

Ken wins
-Have him fight another Gracie in a "defend the family name" story.

Royce Wins
-Ken v DD5K (assuming 5K loses) for an opportunity to rematch Kimbo

Regardless of victor
-Royce v Akebono 2
-Royce v Saku 3
-Royce v various past prime single style guys
-Royce cornering some BJJ guy against that Luta Livre guy in Bellator. Luta v BJJ storyline.
-Ken v Saku 2 (haven't seen the Aoki fight yet so it depends on how he did)
-Ken v Tank

Good to hear, but am I the only one a little concerned that Shamrock will be learning everything for this fight from Guy Mezger?

That is, everything Guy Mezger knows, he learned from Ken Shamrock. Guy Mezger had to retire years ago, due in large part to an outdated style of training and fighting. Ken Shamrock also retired, due in large part to an outdated style of training and fighting. Now Ken Shamrock is coming out of retirement, and hopes to learn from Guy Mezger.

Oh well, we know Gracie won't be training at Greg Jackson's.

Gameplan Ken can still be force imho.

I thought they were already reconciled? Wasn't there a Spike special about it early 2015?

This seems much more like a power play from Frank to keep Road Warrior Animal out of the picture for whatever reason.

I could care less who Ken is coached by. Good to hear the brothers have buried the hatchet, both were elite fighters in their prime. In all honesty I'm worried for Royce in the fight with Ken coming up. Royce looks old and skinny. I'm afraid Ken could go in there and start throwing hay-makers and just knock Royce down. We'll see...

"Ken will be doing his training camp in Dallas and his head coach will be former Lion's Den compatriot and ex-UFC star Guy Mezger. Frank will not be coming down to help Ken in the gym, he said, because he doesn't train anymore and is busy reviving the Shamrock Boys Ranch for at-risk kids in honor of their father. But Frank is happy about working in conjunction with his brother again."

That's really interesting because I thought Bob went to his death with Frank absolutely hating him.

On the other hand, Frank's book talks about how he was molested, so maybe he feels like he can make a difference in an important way.

Good to hear, but am I the only one a little concerned that Shamrock will be learning everything for this fight from Guy Mezger?

That is, everything Guy Mezger knows, he learned from Ken Shamrock. Guy Mezger had to retire years ago, due in large part to an outdated style of training and fighting. Ken Shamrock also retired, due in large part to an outdated style of training and fighting. Now Ken Shamrock is coming out of retirement, and hopes to learn from Guy Mezger.
Couldn't be farther from the truth. Guy has always been more technical and more intelligent then shamrock. Guy was already a state champion wrestler and a professional kickboxer before he even knew who shamrock was ("everything he knows he learned from Shamrock" is far from the truth).

Not only that but since retirement Guy has trained boxing and BJJ nonstop with instructors more skilled in the individual art then himself (he's a student of the game, his knowledge has only gone up since retirement).

Oh well, we know Gracie won't be training at Greg Jackson's.
Yeah, I think your last sentence sums it up. If Ken were still his 30s and fighting a Top 10 guy, I'd hope he'd get training/cornering from more modern fighters. but most Gracies are in the "outdated" category as well. Besides, it may be motivational to train with an old partner and have a reconciled brother in your corner. Plus, Frank and Guy were more modernized than Royce when they left the sport.

Now if Royce is getting some AKA/Jackson-type training we don't know about, maybe he'll have an edge. But I'm pretty sure Royce is gonna Royce, just like Ken's gonna Ken.

Happy for them. Still extremely weird to me that they're not blood brothers and look almost identical. So weird how that happened.

Happy for them. Still extremely weird to me that they're not blood brothers and look almost identical. So weird how that happened.
Yeah, I've always thought that, too.

Back