Frank Shamrock will reconcile with Ken and will be in his corner for the Royce Fight!

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/12/...g-ken-shamrock-will-have-his-brother-frank-in

I'm so happy they've buried the hatchet.

"You gotta forgive and just gotta move forward," Ken said. "And work with what you've got. I think me and Frank have been doing that slowly. He's not fake; I'm not fake. So, it's not like we're gonna smile and hug each other and pretend like nothing ever happened, because it's not true. But what we will do is recognize that we need to move forward."

"Ken will be doing his training camp in Dallas and his head coach will be former Lion's Den compatriot and ex-UFC star Guy Mezger. Frank will not be coming down to help Ken in the gym, he said, because he doesn't train anymore and is busy reviving the Shamrock Boys Ranch for at-risk kids in honor of their father. But Frank is happy about working in conjunction with his brother again."

Good to hear, but am I the only one a little concerned that Shamrock will be learning everything for this fight from Guy Mezger?

That is, everything Guy Mezger knows, he learned from Ken Shamrock. Guy Mezger had to retire years ago, due in large part to an outdated style of training and fighting. Ken Shamrock also retired, due in large part to an outdated style of training and fighting. Now Ken Shamrock is coming out of retirement, and hopes to learn from Guy Mezger.

Oh well, we know Gracie won't be training at Greg Jackson's.

I dunno, Tito likes Mezger. I did laugh when I read the Mezger part of that story, because I thought "boy, what a guy to coach Shamrock."

Wearing_Gay_Mezger_shirt.jpg

Good to hear, but am I the only one a little concerned that Shamrock will be learning everything for this fight from Guy Mezger?

That is, everything Guy Mezger knows, he learned from Ken Shamrock. Guy Mezger had to retire years ago, due in large part to an outdated style of training and fighting. Ken Shamrock also retired, due in large part to an outdated style of training and fighting. Now Ken Shamrock is coming out of retirement, and hopes to learn from Guy Mezger.

Ken is still using the same outdated style of training and fighting, Why isn't it forcing him into retirement anymore? It is out-dated, I'm not doubting that, I think he's too cheap to pay for a training camp, the older you get the cheaper you get, it happens.

Mezger had a heart attack and was forced into retirement. I'm pretty sure Guy has run his own gym since he retired. Presumably he's still learning even though he can't fight anymore, since he is a teacher and he has other coaches (and students) at his gym.

Ken is still using the same outdated style of training and fighting, Why isn't it forcing him into retirement anymore? It is out-dated, I'm not doubting that, I think he's too cheap to pay for a training camp, the older you get the cheaper you get, it happens.

Mezger had a heart attack and was forced into retirement. I'm pretty sure Guy has run his own gym since he retired. Presumably he's still learning even though he can't fight anymore, since he is a teacher and he has other coaches (and students) at his gym.

Hey, I'll just be happy to see the band get together again.

If all Ken does is spam heel hooks while Royce spams triangles, I'll still be satisfied enough.

As long as they aren't doing the Kimbo vs Houston dance after 20 seconds, I doubt I'll be disappointed.

"Coach" is an over-descriptive word here I think... Ken's gonna do what Ken wants to do.

It is pretty cool though, getting the gang back together.

Nice, just like twenty years ago. :) But stupid for Ken training wise.

Bellator brings families back together at Christmas
Bellator is the solution to broken society
Coker bless
ff6250372f500c7b487c63000af5f3110d391f4_t.gif

Not a heart attack, but he did show stroke lime symptoms leading into what would have been his rubber match with Tito at UFC 50: The War of '04.

You are correct about his gym. Igo sporadically and my brother has been a regular for almost 10 years. Guy is extremely knowledgeable about the sport and has several great coaches. He was a WKC champion before he worked with Shamrock, he has plenty to offer as far as strategy.

At this stage I don't think it matters..i don't think hes actually going there to learn ,as he is more to tighten up what he already knows..All those old UFC guys have advanced in their own ways,a spot light doesn't mean one didn't grow.just because we haven't seen mezger doesn't mean his own fight gym doesn't have good fighters to learn something,its not a magical thing,all fight facilities with credible guys in there always have something to take from.

At this stage I don't think it matters..i don't think hes actually going there to learn ,as he is more to tighten up what he already knows..All those old UFC guys have advanced in their own ways,a spot light doesn't mean one didn't grow.just because we haven't seen mezger doesn't mean his own fight gym doesn't have good fighters to learn something,its not a magical thing,all fight facilities with credible guys in there always have something to take from.

As long as Ken doesn't screw up a RNC come fight night, I'll be happy.

This is just an angle to set up Shamrock vs. Shamrock for the summer. Frank is gonna blow salt in Ken's eyes between rounds, leading to Gracie getting the quick submission in early round two.

That's awesome,love to hear things like this :)

And if Ken loses, Frank can step up to avenge him in the next fight!!

"I've always loved Ken and never really had an issue with him," Frank told MMA Fighting on Wednesday via phone. "It was kind of him with me. I'd like to think we've all grown and we're back to being a family again.

On the Frank Shamrock documentary they had, it did seem like Ken was the one who was mad . But what Ken was complaining about was Frank not going to their adoptive father's funeral. I don't remember what Frank's reason was for that. It could have been that he had issues with Bob Shamrock at that point, and not Ken.

This is all wrong.

Guy was always more of a peer to Ken than one of the Lion's Den boys. Guy always had his own facility and his own training methods in Dallas, almost completely separate from what was going on at the first Lion's Den gym in Lodi. When Ken was doing the WWF/WWE thing, most of the LD guys then still active (Alex, Petey, etc) actually moved to Dallas to train with Guy and Tra. Even the guys who went to Oklahoma to Mikey's would come down to Dallas to train up.

Second, in training and socially, Guy was more of a student of Masa Funaki and the Pancrase school than of Ken and the Lion's Den. You would almost never hear references to Ken from Guy the way that he'd talk about Masa Funaki. It was "Masa Funaki showed me this," and "Masa Funaki does it this way." Almost never "Ken showed me this," or "Ken does it this way."

Guy was always more technical than Ken, coming from an extensive wrestling, kickboxing and martial arts background. Guy also had a much deeper understanding of the Japanese MMA game, including what he knew of how people moved, who specialized in what and how they reacted because how how he'd spent time moving around and training with more Japanese fighters and gyms, whereas Ken had always relied on his absolutely unreal raw physical strength and raw talent.

Anyway, at the time, Tra Telligman was his second at the Dallas gym and even Tra, having spent a lot of time in Russia with Russian kickboxers, fighters and particularly sambists was another older guy who came from a separate training lineage who was more of a peer to Ken than Jerry, Mikey, Petey, Alex and the boys.

If Guy didn't have the health issues that he did and had some very, very strange and controversial incidents go against him, he'd be another legend from that period and again, health notwithstanding, would be a pillar of the MMA in the background, like Matt Hume and Erik Paulson.

Completely wrong to think of Guy as having learned everything from Ken. Couldn't be more wrong.

Last edited:
I remember walking into the gym just having heard that Carlos Newton had just been kneebarred by Sakuraba, long before Guy's controversial fight with Saku and way before Saku had become famous for beating any of the Gracies. I tell Guy this and Guy immediately responds with, "You sure? Saku's not a leg lock guy, he's an armlock guy." Then he went immediately into the grips that Saku likes to use, including the overarm double wristlock from standing. Turned out Guy was wrong about that particular fight, but his words would be prophetic because that's exactly the grip and drop to kimura that he'd use to take out several top fighters, including some of the Gracies. One of the reasons that Guy gave Saku one if his toughest fights in Saku's prime is because Guy knew technique and fighter psychology well above the level of Ken or any of the other Lion's Den guys.

Buncha cans disrespecting Mezger. Just because he doesn't have Jon Jones type fighters coming out of his gym doesn't mean he's an outdated coach. Guy has forgotten more about fighting than most coaches know entirely.

I just hope Ken's gonna be doing more than curls and bench pressing in preparation. Because doesn't matter who the coach is, Ken gonna Ken.

Just posting here before the fishy outcome of this fight.

That's awesome,love to hear things like this :)

And if Ken loses, Frank can step up to avenge him in the next fight!!

Yes!!!

Man I know a lot of people hate this fight, but I love these nostalgia matches. No one has more heart than a 50 year old who still wants to fight inside a cage.

If they let royce wear a gi, Ken should get to wear his wrestling boots tho!

Back