Frank Mir thinks they will let him go but not Reem because Reem can sell more tickets

Both guys are in trouble if they lose.

Mir can probably look forward to a commentator job, being an original, longtime UFC guy. Reem is more expensive to keep around than Mir and is not a tenured employee.

If he loses again, poor Alistair is getting cut, and I'm a fan of his. Mir will probably move to a non-fighting role within the company if he loses.

Last edited:
Ive got a lot of respect for Frank Mir and what he has did with his career. There was a time when nobody thought he would return to the cage. And once he did, nobody thought he would be successful again. He has proved them all wrong. I dont want to see him go anywhere personally, he is a top flight heavyweight.

Yup, an honest and accurate assessment by Mir, imo.

And as bad as Overeem has been since he got caught for juice, I still think he can beat Mir.

I think Reem would get cut. Bellator would pick him up quickly and he's still marketable to a lot of promoters, but I think the UFC are sick of him making so much money to lose and get popped for PED. Frank might be given an opportunity to retire first, which is what it sounds like he's strongly leaning towards if the UFC make it known to him privately that they no longer require his services. He would then retire publicly. Or maybe if he loses, especially in spectacular fashion, he might just retire in the ring preemptively before the indignity of being cut.

I think Mir will win this. Everyone underestimates how hard Mir hits and now that Overeem has lost his powers I think Mir could floor him in one punch. While Overeem could just put him against the cage and beat him up, I feel like he won't be as aggressive as usual after 2 knockout losses in a row. I don't see him rushing Mir the way Josh Barnett did.

If Reem gets cut I doubt he would to somewhere like Bellator. He would probably quit he would want to compete at the highest level.

If Reem gets cut I doubt he would to somewhere like Bellator. He would probably quit he would want to compete at the highest level.

I think he would keep fighting. His brother is not exactly in high tier MMA anymore but he keeps fighting. He would probably just stay in Europe and do it more casually.

I doubt either would get cut. Both are exciting to watch, whether they win or lose.

I doubt either would get cut. Both are exciting to watch, whether they win or lose.

To cut. I think if he loses to Mir in a close fight they will keep him for one more. If Mir loses in devestating fashion he will definetly get cut....

See Dana giving one more shot claiming great fights and fan favorites

Neither should be cut. Kongo shouldnt have been cut either.

While fighters like: Schaub, Mitrione, Leben, Garcia, Struve, Beltran, Maldonado, Dan Hardy and other LIMITED SKILL fighters are kept around for silly reasons, skillful fighters should not be cut even if they are on the downside of their career.

Mir loses, give him Mitrione or Schaub; Overeem loses, do the samething, give him the worst of the worst guy still kept in. Cutting relevant good fighters like Okami and Fitch while they keep around guys like Leben , Leonard Garcia, Mitrione,Amir Sadolah is absolutely mindblowing.

I cant think anyone can find someone as uncordinated like Garcia or Leben entertaining. They are tough bar brawler, period. If i want to see a bar brawl i will go to a bar. I want to see skilled martial artists outhinking and outsmarting their adversaries.

Everytime i enter the ufc webisite and check their roster, i see 15-20 fighters in their middleweight and welterweight divisions that Fitch and Okami could beat.

Ww division still kept fighters, ( by ufc website) Marajo Alcantara, Viscardi Andrade, Igor Araujo, Bazsynski, Bahadurzada, Paulo Thiago, Yan Cabral, Nick Catone, Clements, Cote, Ebersole, Gastelum, HArdy, Guimaraes, Hathaway, John Howard, Pascal KRauss,Ludwig, Patolino,Mcgee, Mein, Mitchell ,Sean pierson; all those guys Fitch would steamroll, yet they are still around while he was fired.

MW division fighters: Belcher, Camozzi, Cane, Credeur, Deblass, Dollaway, Hall, Herman, Hamman,Kennedy, Kuiper, Larkin, LAwlor,Cung LE, Leben, Thales Leite, Ronny MArques, Mcdaniel,Sapo, Nedkov, Bod

While fighters like: Schaub, Mitrione, Leben, Garcia, Struve, Beltran, Maldonado, Dan Hardy and other LIMITED SKILL fighters are kept around for silly reasons, skillful fighters should not be cut even if they are on the downside of their career.

Mir loses, give him Mitrione or Schaub; Overeem loses, do the samething, give him the worst of the worst guy still kept in. Cutting relevant good fighters like Okami and Fitch while they keep around guys like Leben , Leonard Garcia, Mitrione,Amir Sadolah is absolutely mindblowing.

I cant think anyone can find someone as uncordinated like Garcia or Leben entertaining. They are tough bar brawler, period. If i want to see a bar brawl i will go to a bar. I want to see skilled martial artists outhinking and outsmarting their adversaries.

Everytime i enter the ufc webisite and check their roster, i see 15-20 fighters in their middleweight and welterweight divisions that Fitch and Okami could beat.

Ww division still kept fighters, ( by ufc website) Marajo Alcantara, Viscardi Andrade, Igor Araujo, Bazsynski, Bahadurzada, Paulo Thiago, Yan Cabral, Nick Catone, Clements, Cote, Ebersole, Gastelum, HArdy, Guimaraes, Hathaway, John Howard, Pascal KRauss,Ludwig, Patolino,Mcgee, Mein, Mitchell ,Sean pierson; all those guys Fitch would steamroll, yet they are still around while he was fired.

MW division fighters: Belcher, Camozzi, Cane, Credeur, Deblass, Dollaway, Hall, Herman, Hamman,Kennedy, Kuiper, Larkin, LAwlor,Cung LE, Leben, Thales Leite, Ronny MArques, Mcdaniel,Sapo, Nedkov, Bod

Kongo shouldnt have been cut either..
he wasn't cut. he chose not to negotiate a new contract and went to fight for another org to rebuild his confidence as a fighter. the UFC wanted to keep him

not only that, but Kongo still thinks of himself as a UFC fighter on sabbatical :)

would be sad to see Mir cut, but if he gets blown out early, which does seem highly likely, I can see it happening. still think Mir would beat a lot of the lesser HWs, but with his chin, it isn't guaranteed

Mur can make money for taking less damage as a commentator, if they offer that to him should he lose I hope he takes it.

He's paid his dues in the cage.

Mir has always been one of my favorite fighters. He says a lot of stupid shit sometimes, but for some reason he's always been one of my top three. As good as he is on the ground, the guy can't really take a punch, unfortunately. I really hope that if he loses violently here against AO that he will be offered a commentating job in return for retirement. His noggin can't take many more hits like he has absorbed. I think it's far enough removed from his Brock comments that cost him his old WEC commentating job.

Mur can make money for taking less damage as a commentator, if they offer that to him should he lose I hope he takes it.

He's paid his dues in the cage.

I liked his commentary in WEC fights. He had a bit of a man crush on Miguel Torres, but he was pretty good all around. Smart, well-spoken guy.

Back