"Frank Mir has just subbed Minotauro Nogueira":

Mir is always under appreciated. No matter how you slice it, he Ko’d Cro Cop and sub’d/TKO’d Big Nog after a serious motorcycle accident. It’s pretty amazing really. Easily a HOFer.

Couple these results with the fact that PRIDE was always considered superior at HW (it was) and his arrogance, and you’ll find Mir created a lot of salt.

Last edited:
This was an insane fight to watch live..

Reminds me a little of Askren/Lawler the way it played out (minus the controversial stoppage)

A shocking result, but I always thought that his ground game was stronger than his stand-up. Imagine how Mir vs Randy would have gone. He would have been champ again even after the motorcycle accident and his story would be inspirational.

Can't believe he lost to Hunt

In my opinion the greatest sub in MMA history.
Mir was hurt so bad and somehow managed to break Big Nog's arm.

I remember watching this live with the homies when they actually cared about MMA and we went fucking nuts.

Awesome times.

He will probably have for the rest of history the most varied list of stoppages at HW. That's a pretty nice legacy to look back on.

A shocking result, but I always thought that his ground game was stronger than his stand-up. Imagine how Mir vs Randy would have gone. He would have been champ again even after the motorcycle accident and his story would be inspirational.

Can't believe he lost to Hunt
I think Randy would put a beating on Mir, but maybe I’m wrong. Mir is capable of beating any man who’s ever fought in MMA given the chance though.

I think Randy would put a beating on Mir, but maybe I’m wrong. Mir is capable of beating any man who’s ever fought in MMA given the chance though.
I mean, would Randy even take this fight to the ground considering that Mir has a better ground game than even Nog?

Even the stand-up part is a bit murky because Mir's striking isn't that bad (He does have strong hands from time to time) and Randy's stand-up isn't even as good as Nog's, so...

Cormier did pretty well against him, but I'm not sure if prime Randy was ever in Cormier's level...

He was able to beat Big Nog 2x, Cro Cop, Brock Lesnar, Tim Sylvia, Roy Nelson 2x, and Big Foot. He was able to win the UFC HW title in the process.

Not the best fighter and had some rough spots but he has plenty to be proud of.

Mir has some great moments. Unfortunately, all his bad ones are getting punched on the ground. He never improved that part of his game. Always the "what if" factor with him not getting in that accident as well. I agree he's underappreciated. Hespect.

I mean, would Randy even take this fight to the ground considering that Mir has a better ground game than even Nog?

Even the stand-up part is a bit murky because Mir's striking isn't that bad (He does have strong hands from time to time) and Randy's stand-up isn't even as good as Nog's, so...

Cormier did pretty well against him, but I'm not sure if prime Randy was ever in Cormier's level...
Randy would have no problem going in Mir’s guard, but he’d need to watch out for sweeps, etc. I could see either winning the stand up but I think Randy would bust him up in the clinch by outworking him. Well never know, but I’d pay to see it.

Nog had the fight won standing. Would have easily knocked Mir out. Sadly he jumped on top of Mir after putting him down and Mir caught the arm.

Nog made some critical mistakes in that fight. The guillotine attempt for 'glory' and hanging onto it for too long, he should have just pounded to the finish when he had the chance, and then the 'cute' peek out attempt that might work on less grappling savvy fighters, but leaving his arm behind

The rest is history. Amazing comeback from Mir, I really think it surprised Nog that Mir could jump to the finish so fast, but Mir has always been really good like that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back