"Frank Mir has just subbed Minotauro Nogueira":

Good staff from Frank Murr there. Shocking at the time. Who'd have thought it?

Led to him getting the brakes beat off him by JDS.

Now that Murr is done and dusted, what is his legacy?

Legend

the bones in my broken hands started hurting from the moment he grabbed the arm. Not joking.

Great HW motorcycle accident great fighter snappy Big Tim great fighter WEC booth great fighter Lesnar strawberries pretty good fighter USADA diminished fighter knockout losses diminished fighter Bellator done fighter.

Mir was for years, must-watch-TV. He either finished his opponent or got finished. Oh well, as the Stones sang, "Time Waits For No One"

His legacy is that he is "soft" because he tapped to strikes.

timestamped

<mma4>

giphy.gif

Great HW motorcycle accident great fighter snappy Big Tim great fighter WEC booth great fighter Lesnar strawberries pretty good fighter USADA diminished fighter knockout losses diminished fighter Bellator done fighter.

<Huh2>

Weird how in the first fight Mir just swang and banged Nog out, and then in the rematch Nog had Mir backing up all over the place. Was it staph for Nog in the first fight? He had Mir looking like a drunk in the rematch before he got sloppy

I watched this fight live. The main event was also ended in a surprise submission.

So sad for noguera, displayed really low iq and paid for it.

Thank God Fedor would later murk tf outta Mir boy

Reactions: G10
Mir is always under appreciated. No matter how you slice it, he Ko’d Cro Cop and sub’d/TKO’d Big Nog after a serious motorcycle accident. It’s pretty amazing really. Easily a HOFer.

Couple these results with the fact that PRIDE was always considered superior at HW and his arrogance, and you’ll find Mir created a lot of salt.

Come on dude, Nogueira was on a slide by this point.

One of the craziest I’ve watched live. Mir is a legend of the sport even though he had some spots of inconsistent. I’d put him in the same legend tier as Tito Ortiz.
Completely agree with you. Gonna show my age here but I saw him fight a few times in person but the first time was when he tapped out Tank Abbott.

I started watching the sport well after Mir's peak years, so I never saw him at his best; I only ever saw him as just a slow-moving brawler without the durability to hang in a fight. I always wondered why a guy who's so renowned for his submission skills seemingly gave up on using them.

But, after seeing his highlights and hearing what people have said about him, it seems like he was a special talent who was screwed over by destiny. I listened to his commentary on a few WEC fights I watched on Fight Pass, and I thought he has a great analytical mind for the fights (minus that ball-fondling garbage commentary in the Torres-Mizugaki fight). Indeed, he was really special, and a true HoFer.

Mir has always been severely underrated. Some of the best MMABJJ at HW ever.

Come on dude, Nogueira was on a slide by this point.
Which defeat are you referring to?
I’m well aware of all the excuses for both fights (staph/past prime/herb dean/Dumb sub attempt).
also, cro cop took that fight on 10 day notice but still, nobody expected him to get KTFO by Mir. Mirko was coming off a couple wins and that was before the embarrassing losses to Schaub and big country. At the same time, that was Mir accepting cro cop on 10 days after expecting Noguiera. Probably not the best form of either guy but as you’ll recall, a chunk of Mir’s prime was spent rehabbing from a wreck as well. He clawed back. I gotta respect that. This coming from a guy who loves Mirko (fuck, I was actually in attendance for That dreadful event - 119).

It’s always conjecture anytime we list sole reasons why someone lost. Maybe. Maybe not. I respect your opinion and don’t even necessarily disagree, but a win is a win. At the end of the day, I tip my hat to Mir for snagging those wins.

Last edited:
Legacy? Very accomplished. Can't help wonder how good he could have been with better diet, coaching, etc. A motivated Mir.

I'd argue snapping Tim's arm like a match stick was a better sub.

The nog fights were nuts

Mir is always under appreciated. No matter how you slice it, he Ko’d Cro Cop and sub’d/TKO’d Big Nog after a serious motorcycle accident. It’s pretty amazing really. Easily a HOFer.

Couple these results with the fact that PRIDE was always considered superior at HW (it was) and his arrogance, and you’ll find Mir created a lot of salt.
He didn’t KO Nelson? Fuck why don’t I remember that

He's definitely a pioneer & overall MMA / UFC legend, his career could have easily been completely derailed and easily forgotten but he somehow put it all back together and gave us some of the biggest highlight reel finishes in UFC history. I don't think any other HW matches Mir when it comes to submission highlight reels.

He had the skills to be a heavyweight GOAT. Elite submissions for a heavyweight and had the striking power to do some damage. His chin and the accident blunted his potential. Still probably my favorite HW.

Back