• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Frank Mir: "Diverticulitis took Brock Lesnar out; He would have dominated."

Overrated isn't the right word.

Overhyped. If he'd walked in as a former DI champ instead of "WWE headliner" and crushed a few more guys before he got a UFC main event slot he would've been one of the legitimate biggest stars in the sport.

Instead most people couldn't get over the "fake wrestling" background. If MMA was in 2000 where it is now, I think he would've gone straight to MMA and been a long time star/champion. He hated the pro wrestling scene/lifestyle and craved competition.

But, we'll never know.

Thank you for this POST! A lot of people can just HATE!

Doesn't matter how he looks. Another kick in the stomach from an MMA heavyweight and he folds again. That illness kicked his ass. Poor guy.

As opposed to taking 30 minutes of hard bumps in a wrestling ring? Overeem kicked him in the liver not in his surgically repaired colon.

It's more to his diverticulitis story then we will ever know.

Being asked to be thrown to the wolves right from the get-go is one thing. But dude also won the belt when put in that position. So nothing but respect for Broctober.

Of course Mir is going talk up a guy who beat him up pretty soundly. I think Brock would be good if he didn't get the disease and continued to fight but I still don't think he would have dominated or been a reigning champion anymore. Maybe if Brock had started MMA earlier in his life then I think his chances to dominate in MMA would be much greater.

Mir is just saying this to make himself feel better for getting battered by Brock last time they fought.

Brock would have had a longer career obviously, and probably a couple more pretty good wins if not for his illness, but in reality his problems in his losses were that he didn't deal well with getting hit, and he didn't fight smart. I don't think he would have been dominant.

I disagree.... Brock could have been a bigger name in MMA... Diverticulitis really played a big role... He didn't get the training or recovery time needed... Matching him against Overoid was a bit premature in my humble opinion...

Mir is correct. He would know better than anyone else. Mir is an intelligent, honest,articulate fellow.

also a bit narcissistic. he was badly beaten by a guy for whom was later said that he is afraid to take a punch, so how does that make him look?

He is telling the truth, there is a lot of hate on here for Brock but the guy was pretty damn good. Hardly any training and still was HW champ. He could have been amazing if he wouldnt have gotten sick

Wow, you really are dumber than you look. At the height of his illness? Brock got sick in October 2009, two months after the Mir fight. And getting punched and kicked in the stomach daily for REAL, putting stress on the body daily with grappling, strength training and kickboxing is something entirely different than taking a bump or two that are arranged and training for aesthetics. Out of all the haters I

I agree with Frank.

It was pretty clear Lesnar was never the same after he got sick

Diverticulitis doesn't make you fall on the ground and turtle from strikes the way Lesnar did against Carwin, Velasquez and Overeem. Mir is not a doctor he's just using Brock's illness as an excuse for why other fighters were able to exploit Brock's weakness and he got beaten to a bloody pulp. We'll never know how Brock would have performed if he hadn't gotten sick but we do know that he wasn't ready for MMA striking and that was apparent in his last three fights.

Mir just was a good match up for Brock. Brock was good on the ground, but his standup has always been atrocious.

Brock wouldn't have beaten Cain at any part of his career.

I don't know about "dominate", but I do think that he would have defeated Overeem, had an easier win against Carwin and would still be top 5 right now. I do think that even top form Lesnar loses to Cain and JDS, although it would be much closer.

Mir is just saying this to make himself feel better for getting battered by Brock last time they fought.

Brock would have had a longer career obviously, and probably a couple more pretty good wins if not for his illness, but in reality his problems in his losses were that he didn't deal well with getting hit, and he didn't fight smart. I don't think he would have been dominant.

hahaha, i knew that even if mir says this about his arch enemy, the mir haters would come along and talk sht. you sir, are the prototype of a shertard!

Brock gets a lot of hate. Take away his Pro Wrestling background for a minute. You are left with a D1 wrestler who dabbled in the NFL and beat a UFC legend in Randy Couture.

Anyone who doesn't think that his surgery changed him has never had any surgery. Any surgery is hard. Let alone have part of your guts removed. It was nearly impossible for a high level performing athlete at his age to perform how he did before such a major surgery.

Would Cain have beat Brock if he never had the surgery? Hard to say. Cain is a bad man, so yeah he probably would have. That isn't a discredit to Lesnar. It's more of a credit to Cains talented. Just because a fighter is more talented than Brock doesn't mean Brock wasn't a great fighter.

I never like Lesnar, but there's no denying that he was a talented athlete. A major illness like that would certainly derail a career, especially when someone was in their early/mid 30s. If Brock had the time to develop other aspects of his game, he could have been exponentially better.

Of course he says that. He's the only relevant fighter that got dominated by Lesnar. His diverticulitis argument doesn't explain how Lesnar struggled to put geriatric Randy away, even with a 50+ lb advantage on fight night.

I don't blame Mir, he has to come up with some reason for why Lesnar molested him and then went on to get man-handled in his next 3 fights before retiring. Diverticulitis can't make you afraid of getting hit. You're either born with that or you're not.

Back