Stefan Struve
Josh Barnett
and probably
Roy Nelson
Gonzaga (yes Gabriel Gonzaga)
Sergei Kharitonov
Bigfoot Silva
and others.

Not bloody likely. Maybe you don't like the guy, but your list is silly.

He's an extremely high level gate keeper. If you can beat him, then you are probably top 5. Before the black magic kicks in and your career takes a huge downfall.

Last edited:
He's a solid contender and can beat most guys but will get beat by the small percentage of fighters in the top echelon of the division.

Average standup, bad cardio and weak chin. I dont like his chances against Cain, Cormier, Barnett, Werdum, Reem.

I agree with everything but the weak chin. these guys are heavyweights. almost all of them can Ko someone with a single punch.

Mir is a solid HW and his awesome BJJ always adds a degree of suspense to his fights. No one wants to go to the mat with that dude. His cardio is suspect and he is slow on his feet, but he can throw a serious punch. I'll always tune in for a Mir fight.

Will always be a Mir fan. Power punchers with god TTD and dominant wrestlers will always be his Kryptonite, but other than that there aren't many guys I would count him out against.

I think Mir's biggest mistake was trying to get big to battle Lesnar's size. He's a HW whose skill set is better suited to being quicker, not bigger than his opponent, in my opinion. He's totally lost that coming in at or near the HW limit. He's slow and plodding when he's bigger and it's ruined his striking. By far his best striking performance was against Big Nog the first time. He looked lighter on his feet and quick with the jab.

I do think he's underrated. It really depends on exactly where you put him.

He's in a weird spot: Above guys like Nelson by a good head and shoulders but below guys like JDS by an equal amount.

I do think he doesn't get enough credit to WHO he's lost to in his last 3 losses (mostly because 2 of those 3 guys don't get much credit these days, and if jds loses his next fight, suddenly he won't get any credit either)

But Frank Mir is and has been a solid top 10, sometimes top 5 fighter for a long time. I give him a chance against anyone and have him as the favorite against anyone ranked 6 through 10 in the top 10.

I think he'd beat Werdum and Bigfoot. It's only the true best like Cain, JDS, and Reem that would beat him.

A very good post by Natman... this is truely a different year (and maybe Universe).

Mir is very underrated. And lol at people who say he has a bad chin. He was koed only once in all of his career and that was against the heaviest hitter around... after 1000000 punches.

Calling him one of the best ufc hw of all time really says more about the level of the ufc hw till the last few years, it was poor.

Mirr is a good fighter, but look at his record
His biggest win was Roy Nelson, who looked terrble that night.

He wil always be a dangerous guy with a good groundgame,
but top HW? naaah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back