Frank Mir confirms “unspoken rule among fighters” that tapping to strikes is “unacceptable” & “soft”

GSP is okay with his decision to tap to strikes; it's better than being knocked out, crying in the locker room and then not admitting you lost.

His point is too weak. He says tapping to a choke is okay, but all you are doing is going to sleep, and he gave Holly Holm props. That should mean that tapping to strikes as just as soft as tapping to a choke.

Nothing is happening to you with a choke. You go to sleep for a few seconds with less pain than being beaten to bloody pulp.

Tapping to a choke is more cowardly than tapping to strikes. Because strikes are significantly more dangerous than a choke. You will have to burn your arms out to kill a person with a choke. One lethally placed strike and you may never wake up again.

How many people have been killed playing BJJ? LOL
In a sporting context if a choke is locked in it's an acknowledgement you got caught, same with joint locks. Tapping to strikes however, seems like panicking once you've encountered some adversity or an acknowledgement you ran out of ideas or given up on yourself. CTE is no joke though and it's the fighters personal choice, so while I disagree with it I would never be mad at a fighter for doing it.

I don't know about this unspoken rule. I've trained at many gyms with many fighters and have never heard of it.

Saying that, it's a sport that is based on building resiliance and resolve, and if you were constantly tapping to strikes, then the coach might pull you up and ask if you should be doing this sport.

Referees don't seem to let fighters cop a prolonged, one sided beating in regional shows though, not like the UFC.

knowing everything we know now about CTE, the fighters should be encouraged by coaches to tap if they feel losing control of their body. look at GSP, he tapped, and he's a GOAT. despite that, GSP still speaks openly about blacking out and having memory issues. this is a sport after all. a violent one, but still a sport.

it's like a boxer responding 'No' to a referee after a 10 count if they feel like they have no control on their limbs, their balance slipping.

Tapping to strikes would of saved him from losing some years in that shane carwin stoppage

Time stamped.

Are you surprised to know that this is what MMA fighters think of tapping to strikes?

Do you agree with this “unspoken rule” among MMA fighters?

he took PEDS though <45>

In a sporting context if a choke is locked in it's an acknowledgement you got caught, same with joint locks. Tapping to strikes however, seems like panicking once you've encountered some adversity or an acknowledgement you ran out of ideas or given up on yourself. CTE is no joke though and it's the fighters personal choice, so while I disagree with it I would never be mad at a fighter for doing it.
How do you know the choke is locked if you tap? And if the worst that will most likely happen to you is a few seconds of sleep (like the Tap-Snap-Or-Nap fanatics seem to believe), then why be a "warrior" and go to sleep trying to find out if the choke is really locked in or not?

Last edited:
Absolute bollocks imo, anyone who's had a choke put on them moments before taking a breathe knows what that rush of blood to the head feels like, its as if your skulls a balloon that's about to pop.
Why on earth would you risk a career ending injury to your limbs or hospital time because you couldn't just accept defeat? Pathetic really.

If the ref tells you to fight back and you don't, it's "tapping out".

I don't see much difference in tapping to strikes and turtling up and waiting until the ref stops it. In both instances you are basically accepting defeat, except you get to take a few extra shots when turtling. If a fighter thinks he's out of the fight I see nothing wrong with tapping and saving yourself from extra damage.

That's why boxing is recognized as sport with tradition and prestige, nobody makes fun of fighters giving up (well sometimes maybe "no mas"), corner's stoppages are very common and nobody whines about it. Still somehow boxing is more dangerous for your health than mma,but lets wait few years and see results for mma fighters.
Some fighters like Aldo are already broken with injuries around 30, Barao is totally washed up by many weight cuts. Gonna be interesting to see how these guys will work around 40.

How do you know the choke is locked if you tap? And if the worst that will most likely happen to you is a few seconds of sleep (like the Tap-Snap-Or-Nap fanatics seem to believe), then why do you be a "warrior" and go sleep trying to find out if the choke is really locked in or not?
If you've trained for any extended period of time you get used to the squeeze that happens when a choke is properly applied. I also wasn't saying you should go to sleep instead of tapping, I was saying you should tap because it's the sporting thing to do.

That's why boxing is recognized as sport with tradition and prestige, nobody makes fun of fighters giving up (well sometimes maybe "no mas"), corner's stoppages are very common and nobody whines about it. Still somehow boxing is more dangerous for your health than mma,but lets wait few years and see results for mma fighters.
Some fighters like Aldo are already broken with injuries around 30, Barao is totally washed up by many weight cuts. Gonna be interesting to see how these guys will work around 40.
Boxing fans were making fun of Rigondeaux for giving up on his stool against Lomachenko only a few months ago. That's boxing's equivalent of tapping to strikes. Lomachenko has done that to a few fighters now.

Time stamped.

Are you surprised to know that this is what MMA fighters think of tapping to strikes?

Do you agree with this “unspoken rule” among MMA fighters?

There is also an unspoken rule about not doing foot stomps.

Boxing fans were making fun of Rigondeaux for giving up on his stool against Lomachenko only a few months ago. That's boxing's equivalent of tapping to strikes. Lomachenko has done that to a few fighters now.
Not really it isn't Rigo was never in serious danger in fight.

knowing everything we know now about CTE, the fighters should be encouraged by coaches to tap if they feel losing control of their body. look at GSP, he tapped, and he's a GOAT. despite that, GSP still speaks openly about blacking out and having memory issues. this is a sport after all. a violent one, but still a sport.

it's like a boxer responding 'No' to a referee after a 10 count if they feel like they have no control on their limbs, their balance slipping.
For sure. I agree with everything you said.

If a boxer responded with "yes", then armchair experts would say he's a quitter. Even if he legitimately couldn't feel his feet.

That's why fighters should be the last person to have to quit. The ref and corner are there to protect their fighters. Fighters don't protect fighters.

Fuck that was violent. Forrest was actually winning the fight up until he got rocked and pounded half to death.

did he even get rocked? i thought he had just slipped and Rashad jumped on him. it was a long time ago though.

Back