Frank Mir confirms “unspoken rule among fighters” that tapping to strikes is “unacceptable” & “soft”

By the time fighters are tapping to strikes, their corner should have stepped in to save them. Very rarely, we get to see an awesome comeback, but in the large majority of cases, fighters are already badly concussed and just getting years taken off their fighting prime when being beaten half to death in full mount or something.

o9mt1c.gif

You know how I knew Mazzagatti was the ref?

Mother fucker was no where near the action, as per usual

I like Frank but this is no.1 bullshit

To make that walk... Whatever happens after that I respect.

i'm not a fighter so I'm in no position to judge what internal values they've agreed upon as a fraternity. it's interesting though. tapping from a choke, which is relatively harmless is not soft, but tapping to getting your brain rattled in soft. must be something that's held over from boxing

It's the bias people have against grappling.

It's the same reason choking someone out in a street fight isn't seen as whooping someone's ass in same way KOing them is.

It's stupid. Whether you're rendered unconscious by strikes or by chokes, you're still going out

Here's the thing. If there was no ref, Carwin and Lesnar would have killed Mir. So it's easy for him to ridicule people for tapping to strikes but he relied on another grown man to stop himself from getting killed

The difference between tapping to chokes and tapping to strikes, is that you're taught to tap to submissions from your first bjj class.
So its normal in the mma world. Tapping to strikes makes it seem that you're to soft too see it through to the end (silly i know).

Old school mentality.

Last edited:
Mir has earned his opinion many times over.

I think it's fine to tap. UFC won't cover the cost of health care down the road and Reebok paydays are a fart in a windstorm.

"Protect yourself at all times" includes the future, IMO. It's just got to.

Time stamped.

Are you surprised to know that this is what MMA fighters think of tapping to strikes?

Do you agree with this “unspoken rule” among MMA fighters?

Perhaps in his generation of fighters and before. Now fighters see the brain damage that's done to the ones before them and all the research Coming out now.

If a fighter knows they're done, can't come back I don't see the issue. If they can tap to a choke or a sub what's the difference. Bones heal, brains don't.

It's obvious when some guys mentally break and don't want to tap to strikes they give up their back almost begging to be choked out to avoid the stigma.

It's pretty obvious from the couch you're sitting on, eh?

Frank has been eating strawberries again.

2vbohoopmuyt.jpg

Its a good thing Joanna didn't tap huh!

Time stamped.

Are you surprised to know that this is what MMA fighters think of tapping to strikes?

Do you agree with this “unspoken rule” among MMA fighters?

I agree, you can't be a pussy and a fighter.
<Fedor23>

It's a shame these guys careers are over now the new generation of fans probably have no idea who these guys were.

It's life man. The intelligent fans who understand fighting and martial arts will appreciate it's history just as I have with many combat sports despite things being before my time too.

Steve Mazzagatti says hello.

I'm suprised him and Dan mirage haven't been canned honestly. I'd have my contract written so that neither of them are allowed to ref my fights.

Back