• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Francis Ngannou set for tell all interview with Ariel Helwani on Jan 17th

Are you going to watch this?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
New fanbase??
No it wouldn't.
Ngannou isn't very popular.
I wouldn't shell out 80, 90, 100 dollars to watch Ngannou get schooled in a boxing match. And neither would most mma fans. Most boxing fans would be pissed their legitimate champ would be boxing a what really is a freakshow fight when there's legit matches available. And the biggest leverage Ngannou had was the UFC HW title, which he doesn't have anymore, which would've gotten the casual watcher to pay some attention to it.

This is the worst gamble Ngannou could've made. Fury, Wilder, Anthony want to box the UFC HW champ not Francis Ngannou. The casual spectators want to see the UFC HW champ box a boxing champ not Francis Ngannou.

People don't realize most mma fighter's popularity is directly tied to the UFC promoting them. Once they leave the UFC they are quickly forgotten. Go outside and ask 70 guys and 30 gals who Francis Ngannou is. I'd be surprised if 5 people could tell you who he is without help and mentioning the UFC specifically.

Let's be real. After Conor cut that promo at the club saying he wanted to box Mayweather that's idea caught fire. Everyone and they mother was calling for that fighter. 15 minute segments on sport's talk shows dedicated to discussing the possibility of McGregor boxing Mayweather.

It's been a long time since Ngannou last fought and since he was in the ring with Fury. During that time not a peep from any major sport's show talking about the possibility of fury boxing Ngannou. I don't see sherdog creating a whole sub forum to deal with the amount of traffic that fight is bringing to the site.

Like almost all mma fighters their popularity and financial ceiling is directly tied to the ufc and not their own marketability.
Yup, exactly.
THIS 02.gif

New fanbase??
No it wouldn't.
Ngannou isn't very popular.
I wouldn't shell out 80, 90, 100 dollars to watch Ngannou get schooled in a boxing match. And neither would most mma fans. Most boxing fans would be pissed their legitimate champ would be boxing a what really is a freakshow fight when there's legit matches available. And the biggest leverage Ngannou had was the UFC HW title, which he doesn't have anymore, which would've gotten the casual watcher to pay some attention to it.
You, and most sherdoggers, also wouldn't shell out money to watch Conor box Floyd. We aren't the target market for these events, casuals are. Ngannou would still be able to claim he's the best HW in mma and never lost the belt in the ring. That happens all the time in combat sports.
This is the worst gamble Ngannou could've made. Fury, Wilder, Anthony want to box the UFC HW champ not Francis Ngannou. The casual spectators want to see the UFC HW champ box a boxing champ not Francis Ngannou.
See above. "The man who ruled the UFC HW division and left to conquer new challenges." This kind of handwaving is literally what promoters are for.
Let's be real. After Conor cut that promo at the club saying he wanted to box Mayweather that's idea caught fire. Everyone and they mother was calling for that fighter. 15 minute segments on sport's talk shows dedicated to discussing the possibility of McGregor boxing Mayweather.

It's been a long time since Ngannou last fought and since he was in the ring with Fury. During that time not a peep from any major sport's show talking about the possibility of fury boxing Ngannou. I don't see sherdog creating a whole sub forum to deal with the amount of traffic that fight is bringing to the site.
I like how you think all this buzz around fights is organic, as opposed to manufactured by promoters and their media partners.
People don't realize most mma fighter's popularity is directly tied to the UFC promoting them. Once they leave the UFC they are quickly forgotten. Go outside and ask 70 guys and 30 gals who Francis Ngannou is. I'd be surprised if 5 people could tell you who he is without help and mentioning the UFC specifically.
Francis isn't most. There is a reason champion's clauses exist in mma promotions and contracts are exclusive. If a fighter's popularity was mostly tied to the UFC, there would be no need for exclusive contracts.

You, and most sherdoggers, also wouldn't shell out money to watch Conor box Floyd. We aren't the target market for these events, casuals are. Ngannou would still be able to claim he's the best HW in mma and never lost the belt in the ring. That happens all the time in combat sports.

See above. "The man who ruled the UFC HW division and left to conquer new challenges." This kind of handwaving is literally what promoters are for.

I like how you think all this buzz around fights is organic, as opposed to manufactured by promoters and their media partners.

Francis isn't most. There is a reason champion's clauses exist in mma promotions and contracts are exclusive. If a fighter's popularity was mostly tied to the UFC, there would be no need for exclusive contracts.
Idk about you but I paid for the moneymac fight.
I actually pay for the cards I like to watch. The issue with me is that my interest in cards is probably at an all time low which means I'm only ordering 3 or 4 cards a year.

TMZ was promoting Mayweather vs McGregor become the UFC or TMT was. That fight literally happened because of organic fan pressure because they wanted the fight.

Idk about you but I paid for the moneymac fight.
i did not, why would I as a fan of combat sports pay to see a fight with a predetermined outcome? Not to mention Ngannou would have a better chance of winning his bout than Conor against Floyd.

Ngannou also doesn't need to break PPV records to make more money in boxing, a 500K PPV would net him more than nearly any other UFC fighter in history.
TMZ was promoting Mayweather vs McGregor become the UFC or TMT was. That fight literally happened because of organic fan pressure because they wanted the fight.
It happened because Conor threatened to use the Ali Act. That's literally the opposite of organic, it was a predetermined strategy. And who do you think gives ESPN or TMZ (aka the UFC's broadcast partners) their marching orders for combat sports related social media and on-air discussion?

i did not, why would I as a fan of combat sports pay to see a fight with a predetermined outcome? Not to mention Ngannou would have a better chance of winning his bout than Conor against Floyd.

Ngannou also doesn't need to break PPV records to make more money in boxing, a 500K PPV would net him more than nearly any other UFC fighter in history.

It happened because Conor threatened to use the Ali Act. That's literally the opposite of organic, it was a predetermined strategy. And who do you think gives ESPN or TMZ (aka the UFC's broadcast partners) their marching orders for combat sports related social media and on-air discussion?
2 things.
1. I like you. We've agreed on a ton of things over the years. You're a recognizable poster to me and it's worth reading your posts.

2. Look. I don't give Ngannou a better chance than Mac. Mac had a size advantage and a venomous left plus could play mind games with the best. The cloud of unknown was hanging over that fight.
2. Fury and Joshua are larger than Ngannou. Their punches in selling to bet carry more pop than Ngannou's punches. I'm willing to bet Wilder's is and he's at a significant we disadvantage against Ngannou. I don't think Ngannou has a chance.
3. I had a nice Mayweather vs McGregor fight party at my house. Saw a few people hadn't in in almost a year and a half.

1. I like you. We've agreed on a ton of things over the years. You're a recognizable poster to me and it's worth reading your posts.
Appreciate it.
2. Look. I don't give Ngannou a better chance than Mac. Mac had a size advantage and a venomous left plus could play mind games with the best. The cloud of unknown was hanging over that fight.
By better chance I mean like...10% vs 5%. Ngannou is a far better hitter as a HW boxer than Conor is as WW. It's also not about whether you or I believe in his power, it's whether casuals do. And that's a doable promotional lift. Have Ngannou starch some mediocre HWs in boxing or mma (if not both), and use that for the promo package.
2. Fury and Joshua are larger than Ngannou. Their punches in selling to bet carry more pop than Ngannou's punches. I'm willing to bet Wilder's is and he's at a significant we disadvantage against Ngannou. I don't think Ngannou has a chance.
I wouldn't disagree on that, but again, you and I aren't the target audience, casuals are. Never underestimate how many people will pay to see a circus shitshow once or twice before they learn their lesson.
3. I had a nice Mayweather vs McGregor fight party at my house. Saw a few people hadn't in in almost a year and a half.
That does sound fun.

UFC probably wouldn't re-sign him. I'd like to see him at One FC if he ever decides to come back to MMA

I hear you but let’s say this…

Ngannou doesn’t get Fury but gets Wilder first. Makes a grip, then faces Fury for another grip and loses. PFL or One FC or Bellator pick him up, he smokes the division and is a free agent.

So he has his pile, beats up another MMA org, and maybe signs again with the UFC for a 1-3 fight contract?

EDIT: Fights Wilder first and wins. Then faces Fury…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back