• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Former UFC fighter, Fabio Maldonado: I used DHEA while at the end of my UFC run

who gives a flying fuck if someone is using an at-the-time legal substance?

holy shit i worked at GNC and 60 year old dusty farts would "use" DHEA

I know, that's why I wrote "not getting convicted =/= didn't commit a crime". And my point still stands. DHEA is a steroid.

Lumping DHEA in with all kinds of steroids is misleading...not that I'm the expert in steroids here. That's like saying all felonies are the same...embezzlement is not the same as murdering 12 people.

Lumping DHEA in with all kinds of steroids is misleading...not that I'm the expert in steroids here.
But it's not misleading. DHEA is a steroid. The only reason why some people might think it's misleading to say that DHEA is a steroid is because they seem to think that all steroids are more or less the same, and that they are all super effective for building muscles.
That's like saying all felonies are the same...embezzlement is not the same as murdering 12 people.
No, it's more like I'm pointing out that embezzlement is a crime. I'm not saying that all crimes are equal.

Last edited:
LMAO at getting one punch KOed by Maldonado. That guy should never fight again.

I wonder where boxing cans come from. It is not just Maldonado, every boxer has a padded record with tons of guys that are 0-10 or worse. You have a few of these guys at MMA but most MMA journeymen are at least decent and fighters don't need to rack up 20 wins against bums to make it to the UFC.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these guys are actually homeless and fighting for a 100 bucks and a meal.

But it's not misleading. DHEA is a steroid. The only reason why some people might think it's misleading to say that DHEA is a steroid is because they seem to think that all steroids are more or less the same, and that they are all super effective for building muscles.

No, it's more like I'm pointing out that embezzlement is a crime. I'm not saying that all crimes are equal.

It is because for people without a technical background(or without wikipedia) steroids refer specificially to anabolic steroids. To be honest, although I know better I also call them just steroids or roids. Yeah sure cortisone is a steroid but it is pretty obvious that when I say fighter X is roiding I mean he is taking androgenic anabolic steroids.
If you use the proper terminology everybody on this forum used steroids at least once in their lives, probably corticosteroids.

DHEA is not an AAS. So Fabio was not juicing or roiding as it is commonly known.

Sure, that might be the case about steroids by definition but that's not what most people think when people bring up steroid use in sports.

I could say "My boss is always :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:rdly with our year end bonuses" and most people nowadays would think I'm a racist...they'd be wrong though.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:rdly

There's a difference between perception and reality. Saying that "Lyoto Machida is a steroid abuser...he was on teh DHEA!!!1!1!!!" is lumping him in with guys like Arnold, when it's not exactly true:

arnold_schwarzenegger_steroid_cycle_1699399533.jpg

dat Black House MMA strength and conditioning program...

On the whole, fighters in a tested environment are of course markedly cleaner than fighters in a non-tested environment. You'd be kidding yourself to think that ALL fighters are clean in a tested environment. But the UFC on the whole is definitely cleaner than an organization with no testing at all, especially now.

I really don't understand this defeatist mentality of "well, they're all cheating anyway so there's no point in testing at all." It's better to catch SOME cheaters---even if you can never catch ALL the cheaters---than it is to catch NO cheaters because you're not even trying.

I dont disagree with your last paragraph at all. I think a sound testing program i an overall positive.

But the rest of your post is false. They test for steroids in pro bodybuilding too, but none of them are natural. Prior to the recent change in drug testing, fighters in the UFC were no cleaner than fighters in untested orgs like PRIDE. Testing for drugs was like testing to make sure a fighter was in the proper weight class. Ya they had weigh-ins the day before the fight, but hardly anyone actually fought at their weig-in weight. With the old testing practices, a person either had to be careless, not give a damn, or have an unreliable source that gave them the wrong drugs that had too long a halflife in order to get caught. Any bodybuilder who did a few hours research on cycling could tell a fighter how to not get caught.

The system now is better. It can still be beaten but its a definite improvement in terms of making it harder to test clean when youre abusing.

i dont get why so many people are saying dhea isnt a steroid. it lierally takes a single google search to see that it is.

what there is some debate over is whether or not it is an anabolic steroid, like usada has it listed as, with quite a few sources claiming it is not.

if it wasnt a ped, why would a pro athlete take it when its banned.. this stems from a flawed association with the term ped with negative connotations. PEDs arent inherently bad. it is banned/illegal PEDs are that in question.

Ask me if I care.....
Don't comment if you don't care. Also don't comment with shit that sounds like something from a high school girl. "Ask me if I care" lol come on bro you aren't a 17 year old girl. I hope.

Dhea is available at wal Mart. Do you consider whey protein juicing?
availability is not what makes a substance illegal.

whey protein is not banned. dhea is. how fucking hard is that to understand

availability is not what makes a substance illegal.

whey protein is not banned. dhea is. how fucking hard is that to understand
Dhea is as about as affective as whey protein. It's available at wal Mart. It should not be banned by usada. It's not the same as actually juicing. How fucking hard is it for you to write a comment & not look like a fool? Apparently extremely difficult.

effective*. and your statement literally has zero logical flow.

you:dhea is available in walmart
me:availablity is not what makes a substance illegal
you:it's available at walmart. it shouldnt be banned.

anabolic steroids are not the only form of potentially abused PEDs, in case your little mind can't process that. and once again, the availability of the substance makes no difference to its permitted use. i dont give a fuck what you think should or shouldnt be banned. it's banned.

It's hilarious. He admits to taking shit. They aren't testing so I wonder what Fedor is taking...

I bet 80% of UFC fighters over 32 use something like this... maybe the legal version or under the table.

Back