Forever Gymless

Blink Reflects

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been gymless for the past 2 weeks but it feels like it's been forever. I can't join a new gym for another month or so, so I have to improvise until then. I need S&P's expert advice if you all could be so kind.

My tools
I have 160 lbs of cheap plastic weight to go on a barbell, and up to 55 lbs of that same weight to go on adjustable dumbbells.

Dumbbell.jpg

I also have a sandbag to fill up to 200 lbs and a backpack that fills up to 60 lbs.

No
TB-1030%20Squat%20Rack.jpg

No

CB062656.jpg

Just

durrer_mann_color.jpg

(that's supposed to be a visual representation of me that I stole from the internet by typing in "skinny man")

My current "strength"
My main lift totals right now are (in pounds): Squat - 205, Deadlift - 225, SOHP - 115

My Work Repertoire

Lunges
Clean to Front Squat
Deadlift
Single Leg Deadlift
Clean to press to back squat
Hack Squat
Weighted Pistols
(more suggestions welcome)

SOHP
Push Press
Floor Press
Backpack Dips
Backpack Pull ups
Barbell or Sandbag clean
Barbell Snatch
DB Snatch
DB Swing
Barbell Bent Over Row
(more suggestions welcome)

My Questions
What kind of rep scheme/percentage of 1RM should I use? How many days, what kind of split? I was doing a modified WS4SB routine prior to my gymlessness. Of course the goal is to get stronger, but I understand if there are limitations given my limited resources. I appreciate everyone who reads through this and/or offers any advice. Thanks!

Those db's are adorable.

OP

Are you ethopian?

Why do you have a red hankie?

Get a cheap bench. Throw that 160 up there to bench with.

Curl the dumbell with weights. There are many diffent types of exercises you can do with a dumbell.

Focus on bodyweight exercises utilizing your extra weights (sand bag/pack). Pull-ups are the best thing you could be doing right now. I'm talking about doing at least 50 every workout.

Push-ups, sit-ups, benching, squating (with weights), etc.

PS - I had less than what you got now and managed to pack on about 20 pounds of lean muscle in less than a year.

Get some heavier dumbells, and fill that sandbag up. You can do alot with what youve got. Buy the Ross books for ideas/inspiration.

Gyms fucking suck anyway, I would love to be able to do all my workouts from home.

Get some heavier dumbells, and fill that sandbag up. You can do alot with what youve got. Buy the Ross books for ideas/inspiration.

Gyms fucking suck anyway, I would love to be able to do all my workouts from home.

Yea I workout out of my garage man. It rocks...only thing is, weights are expensive as hell, so it takes alot of time to save up to where you can get everything you need. My only weakness is deadlifts, because you need so much free weights.

For everything you need at least 1k (preferrable about 1250) lbs worth of weights.

Yea I workout out of my garage man. It rocks...only thing is, weights are expensive as hell, so it takes alot of time to save up to where you can get everything you need. My only weakness is deadlifts, because you need so much free weights.

For everything you need at least 1k (preferrable about 1250) lbs worth of weights.

Why the hell would you need that much weight? You can use the same plates on every exercise you know.

You can get strong with just dumbells, Imo.

A weight set is less expensive than a year worth of gym fees.

Thanks guys. Ok, so the more specific question is...should I do a routine similar to WS4SB, 5x5, or 20 rep squats using the weight I have, or should I do a 3 day split, or should I just do full body workouts everyday, or GPP type stuff like DB swings and snatches, etc. etc.

I know what exercises to do, just not necessarily which ones on which days and in what quantity with the crappy weights I have in order to gain strength.

Did that make any sense?

OP

Are you ethopian?

Why do you have a red hankie?

Oh, I just realized that that guy is probably Ethiopian.

Uh, the red hankie is to symbolize my REFUSAL to give up even under my dire gymless circumstance - whereas I COULD wave the white flag of surrender, I wave the red hankie of passion, determination, and the flames of S&P hell.

Snatches, Swings and DB Clean Presses can be used to improve your strength too, theyre not strictly 'GPP' exercises.

DBs rock.

Presses:
- DB Bench
- DB Overhead (strict, or push press)
- DB Incline/Decline
- BW Dips or pinch the DB between your knees for weight

Pulls:
- DB Rows
- DB Cleans
- DB Snatch
- DB Swings
- DB Deadlifts one-handed (you don't have enough weight...)
- BW Pull-ups/Chins with DB for weight

Squats
- Pistols + DBs
- DB Overhead Squat
- DB OH Pistol

The only bane is you can't do normal deads or back squats. They're the only reason I go to a gym.

Legs continued:

Single leg squats ("bulgarian", if you prefer)
Lunges
Stepups
Hip squats
RDL
Calf raises
Jump squats

Dumbells and a steep ass hill..... you could put together a pretty sound workout with those along.

He should put his sandbag over his shoulders and walk flights of stairs.

Many, many flights of stairs.

I dont have a sandbag but Ive always wanted to do the last exercise on this video:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/io1UK6gxrxw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/io1UK6gxrxw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Although Ive seen it in one of Ross' books performed with a higher platform and not gripping the handles but grabbing the whole bag. I think this exercise would have huge carryover to punching/kicking power.

Also, walking/lunging while holding a heavy sandbag overhead I think would be a good one.

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone

DBs rock.

Presses:
- DB Bench
- DB Overhead (strict, or push press)
- DB Incline/Decline
- BW Dips or pinch the DB between your knees for weight

Pulls:
- DB Rows
- DB Cleans
- DB Snatch
- DB Swings
- DB Deadlifts one-handed (you don't have enough weight...)
- BW Pull-ups/Chins with DB for weight

Squats
- Pistols + DBs
- DB Overhead Squat
- DB OH Pistol

The only bane is you can't do normal deads or back squats. They're the only reason I go to a gym.

DB OH Pistols sound nasty - a balance nightmare. I like having everything in real close when I do pistols, but I'll try these some day.

So far my new routine looks like this:

Monday
Overhead Squat - 3x5
Jump Squat - 3x5
Single Leg DL - 3x5
Power Clean - 3x5
Floor Glute Ham Raise - 3x5

Tuesday
Light recovery run

Wednesday
Magic 50 or Light DB Swings or Snatches (40 lbs or so) 1x50-100
Sandbag walk of shame through neighborhood

Thursday
Rest

Friday

Push Press - 3x5
Weighted Dips - 3x5
Weighted Pull-ups - 3x5
BOR - 3x5
Tate press or skull crushers - 3x10

Saturday
Light conditioning

Sunday

Sandbag shouldering
Sandbag loading
Sandbag clean+press+throw

Monday
Light conditioning/recovery

Tuesday

Back Squat - 3x10
Single leg squat - 3x10
Lunges - 3x10
Calf Raises - 3x10
Good Morning - 3x10

Wednesday
Rest

Thursday

SOHP - 3x10
BW Pull-ups - 3xAs many as I can manage
Dips - 3x10
BOR - 3x10

Friday

Light conditioning/recovery

Saturday

Sandbag Deadlift
Sandbag Turkish Get up
Sandbag Clean+Press+Slam

Sunday
Rest

Let me know what you all think - should I swap any exercises, etc. Thanks!

Back