1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

forearms

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by ALI79, Nov 10, 2005.

1. ALI79

ALI79 Banned Banned

any of you guys recommend good grip and forearms exercises that i can do at the end of my lifting routine? i wanna have huge iron forearms!
    thanks guys

2. Brand Nizzle

Brand Nizzle Guest

3. AxeGrinder

AxeGrinder Purple Belt

CoC grippers for good grip...otherwise you could do buy tons of other stuff for workout out forearms...you could also get a heavy dumbell and do wrist rolls...not the best, but works if you dont have funds to get something...

4. nudge119

nudge119 Green Belt

grippers
    thickbar deadlifts - or wrap a towel around a regular bar - never use straps
    farmer's walks
    levering
    bending
    wrist rollers
    rolling thunder
    plate pinches
    plate curls
    towel chins/pull ups
    rope climbing

- most people respond well to high frequency training grip training

- and remember - if you want something to grow - you have to eat!!!

5. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

here's what I reccomend: go get some blockweights to play with and a sledgehammer to lever. you're done for 6 weeks. come back and we'll talk bending and thickbar work.

6. slayer36

slayer36 Blue Belt

my favorite forearm stuff:
    wrist rolling
    static holds with HEAVY dbs. bbs
    farmers walks,
    heavy hammer curls
    grip work
    revrse curls with e-z curl bar
    weighrd pullups
    deadlifts

there is a shit load

7. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

and try reading the you have pussy hands thread. there's a lot already out there on this subject search around a bit. And buy a copy of Brookfield's "Mastery Of Hand Strength"

8. Urban, I need a tidbit of your boundless knowledge. I have an olympic bar where the collars broke off and the part where they go into the bar broke off inside and it can never be a Olympic bar, again, so its a 7 foot, 35 lb metal pole, nothing more. Will slamming that thing down on a tire in my backyard increase my forearm strength? I slammed it into the ground where there was grass, and that thing shocked my hands all crazy like, it was awesome. So tell me Urban, can I get better grip strength by grabbing the end of a 7 foot pole, lifting it above my head and slamming it down into a tire?

9. anvar

anvar Guest

if there's a change you are wearing gloves and or liftings straps stop right now

10. Duncon76

Duncon76 Blue Belt

11. Noskill

Noskill Created Monkey

This thread feels a bit bodybuildish to me, but meh, at least we're talking forearms.
    I tried lots of different stuff. The two best exercises that helped me put beef on my hands and forearms are

1) COCs

2) Load one end of a barbell, put the other end in a corner, step over the barbell (should be between your legs) pinch the plates on the loaded end and row away. Single best exercise to assist pinch strength IMO. Hell, I don't know why I ever stopped doing this. Gotta put it back in my grip work. My pinch sucks right now.

12. Urban..have you been laid of late?
    I know this chick that can swallow a banana whole and has the face of an angel.

13. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

the answer is yes, but not better than a sledge and I wouldn't call this kind of training grip training (unless you're using a thickhandled sledge, in which case you're damn studly).

not in a couple weeks. ummm... where are you again? Fuck that, where is SHE?

14. BeRGLeZ

BeRGLeZ Ramenbowl

My preference would have to be Towel Pullups at the end of a workout.. the movement is jsut so rewarding in that its a hardass strain the whole way.
    Q to Urban - How much of the lats are actually recruited in towel pullups? Is it predominantly forearms?
    Im gonna get back into my strength routine and towel pullups will definitely be a part of it since I would strong forearms/grip for BJJ.