For UFC 300 they should bring back a one night tournament

Moscardino

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
It's the next milestone event.

A tournament would make the event special, good marketing opportunity to push a gimmick on casuals that you could see a top fighter fight multiple times in a night, the old school crowd will love it, I'm sure plenty of fighters would be interested in it.

One night only, UFC returns to its classic format.

Tell me you wouldn't buy it.

I have to think that athletic commission clearance would be a major hurdle. Lots of guys get medical suspensions following tough fights. I could definitely see the AC step in and say "no mas" to letting a guy step in the cage again later that night after a tough fought W.

I have to think that athletic commission clearance would be a major hurdle. Lots of guys get medical suspensions following tough fights. I could definitely see the AC step in and say "no mas" to letting a guy step in the cage again later that night after a tough fought W.

What if they do it in Japan?

I would love more than anything to see a one night tournament again in MMA. I'm not sure with modern athletic commissions and regulations and whatnot that they could still do it (maybe they could, I don't know) but that would be insane.

Some promoter somewhere needs to gather the best guys they can, market a tournament as a Kumite, and shoot cool vignettes giving everyone's backstory and showing them flying in from all around the world. Its what Fight Island should have been.

There is no way a N American commission will agree to this unless they do it like Invicta. That’s 5 rounds maximum for one fighter per night. Does anybody really think watching two- 1 round fights, and a 3 round fight in the finale means anything?

Sorry but I don’t. Get a guy down, and lay on him for 5 minutes = He wins. The only question mark becomes the finale. But, the spirit of a 1 night tournament has already been ruined by the time the finale rolls around. The winner might not even be close to the best fighter. But, style matchups are huge.

Horrible idea.

Nothing would excite me more than a tournament. I'd settle for anything, but multiple rounds- if not all rounds- in one night kicks ass.

They should just make it better than UFC 200. That was rubbish.

Naysayers all over. It can happen, it happened last year in PFL
Chris Curtis lost and retired, then someone pulled out due to injury so he got a 2nd life that night and Cooper III KO'd him into living death.

Great idea, only problem is today's fighters are too coddled and surrounded by excuse machine.

if it doesn't take place in Sparta then that's a missed opportunity...giant pit optional

200.gif

It will never happen again. The sport is a lot more mainstream now and it is more of a business as opposed to 20 years ago. It’s a damn near impossibility to get stars to fight 3 times in a year, let alone in a night. Everybody knows the main event of UFC 300 is Conor vs Diego anyways bro. The fight we all want to see.

this would never happen. At least just bring back a tournament and spread it out throughout the year.

even if it was allowed,UFC couldnt afford to pay their best fighters to do one.

No they should get rid of USADA and bring back stomps to downed opponents

A tournament would make the event special, good marketing opportunity to push a gimmick on casuals that you could see a top fighter fight multiple times in a night, the old school crowd will love it, I'm sure plenty of fighters would be interested in it.

probably UFC 300 will be something like Conor vs Cerrone 2

can tell you joined this forum 2 years ago

Back