For those who run and belly-breathe

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by dfoster, Apr 21, 2008.

1. dfoster

dfoster Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I've been practicing this for about a week. I have to say that it's pretty cool. Now I run until my legs give out which is a little longer than the duration for the intercostal muscles I used for breathing.
    But when I expand my stomach for inhaling, especially late in the run, there is this weird interaction between the lower stomach and the front leg. It almost like I can time it so that the expanding stomach won't get in the way of the leg in front. Anyone experienced the same?

2. Revok

Revok Brown Belt

Yeah it's pretty good. I only really pay attention to it on LSD runs but when I do it certainly feels way more comfortable and energy-efficient. The shoulders relax, the arms are looser, and I can even get by inhaling and exhaling through my nose, which I've always had a hard time with.

Not noticed a connection between it and my stride, but I'll note my breathing pattern on tomorrow's outing. Running is more complicated than I thought.

3. dfoster

dfoster Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I read somewhere that you can rhythmically coordinate your breathing with your strides so it's optimal. That's a lot of work but considering I did the same thing in swimming so I guess it's doable. I'll do some more research on it.