For those who run and belly-breathe

dfoster

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been practicing this for about a week. I have to say that it's pretty cool. Now I run until my legs give out which is a little longer than the duration for the intercostal muscles I used for breathing.
But when I expand my stomach for inhaling, especially late in the run, there is this weird interaction between the lower stomach and the front leg. It almost like I can time it so that the expanding stomach won't get in the way of the leg in front. Anyone experienced the same?

Yeah it's pretty good. I only really pay attention to it on LSD runs but when I do it certainly feels way more comfortable and energy-efficient. The shoulders relax, the arms are looser, and I can even get by inhaling and exhaling through my nose, which I've always had a hard time with.

Not noticed a connection between it and my stride, but I'll note my breathing pattern on tomorrow's outing. Running is more complicated than I thought.

I read somewhere that you can rhythmically coordinate your breathing with your strides so it's optimal. That's a lot of work but considering I did the same thing in swimming so I guess it's doable. I'll do some more research on it.

Back