Relationship For those Champagne connoisseurs on here, what's a good Champagne to drink?

Do you drink champagne?

• Total voters
I use whiskey to toast with. I’ll bring out a really good whiskey for that, but whiskey > champagne imo, for all occasions.
Well, maybe not for christening a boat, I ain’t breaking a bottle of whiskey for that.
Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker

The thing is people use the word champagne when they mean sparkling wine in general. Champagne is a region in France that produces sparkling wine, it's just very good at it as well as marketing it that people start calling all sparkling wine Champagne.

I've had my fair share of Champagne but I'd say unless you're a connoisseur of fine wine, it's wasted on most people. You will find better value in prosecco (Italian) or Cava (Spanish). Especially you just want to bust open a cork of bubbly to celebrate new year and not care about the taste.

images

Want to get a decent champagne, not too pricey for New Years. So for those Sherdog champagne experts, any suggestions?

271766776_3151317368437278_7001238550522377298_n.png
From the picture, I've had Moet & Chandon quite a few times. Had no idea that was Dom Perignon.

In my experience, sparkling wine can be a similarly good experience at a fraction of the price.

Want to get a decent champagne, not too pricey for New Years. So for those Sherdog champagne experts, any suggestions?

I worked for a sparkling wine maker for over a decade. Lots of good stuff out there.
If you want imported and dont want to break the bank go for Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label, a Blanc de Noir (mostly red grapes(still white wine) like Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier). Its bottle aged on the yeast for three years so the bright apple and acidic flavors it has are contrasted by lovely toasty almost Brioche like finish. Or good old Moet Chandon Imperial, another BDN but with more Pinot Meunier as a blending grape. Also aged 3 years on the yeast in the bottle. More stone fruit and citrus here, also a good nutty flavor.
Both about 50 bucks and nearly everyone recognizes these labels as quality luxury brands so you are sure to impress even those who aren't wine enthusiasts.

Champagne for my real friends. Real pain for my sham friends.
<{hughesimpress}><36><{cruzshake}>

I voted no, but I've had it once before but haven't since.

You should've had "No, there's other drinks I prefer" option in the poll.

No but once I hit the liquor store in about an hour maybe I'll pick one up and let you know.
Sorry bro I passed out but I have one of those water carbonation machines here so I'll mix the remaining vodka with water and put it in there and try to remember to tell you how it turns out.

Champagne is the drink with the largest variability between "yeah, that's pretty good" and "nah, that's pretty crap" It doesn't help that you're absolutely paying out the ass for it (especially where I live)

I have drunk a lot over the years from the standard, welcome aboard Moet in business class (usually not bad, not great), to over priced $500+ Dom in restaurants (actually pretty good) and even the supposedly award winning vintage bottle of Veuve La Grande Dame I bought to celebrate with Christmas lunch for the first year at my new house (decidedly meh) and everything in between.

Honestly, this Christmas I just went with some bottles of sparkling white and sparkling rose from local wineries. Light, easy to drink, inoffensive and about 10% the cost of imported Champagne.

I think most Champagnes are just too dry for my tastes. Give me a good Riesling or Pino Gris, the occasional Chardonnay... or hell if you're feeling particularly heretical: a sparkling Shiraz.

/shrugs

1) I would get something from France. Actual Champagne.
2) Go for a Grand Cru.
*This means the wine comes from a specific vineyard within Champagne that has been designated as one of the very best by the CIVC.
3) It doesn't need to be super expensive. Unless that's your thing.

$60 for De Saint-Gall Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru
$40 for Champagne Dalys Grand Cru Demi Sec Blanc de Blancs
*Demi Sec is on the sweeter side. If you like dry look for Brut or Extra Brut.

I think I had the Dalys once, and if so I really liked it. Was rated either 93 or 94.

Cheers!

My go to champagne are
Moet and "yellow widow".

An alternative to champagne is the Spanish Cava.
Its also easier to drink if you don't like champagne.
We drink a lot of cava these days at the office.
Been a lot to celebrate .

I like a brand called Martinelli's. So good and I barely get a buzz at all

Back