For people who don't like IBJJF rules or state of sports BJJ

As far as I know, the IBJJF would have nothing whatsoever to do with the fee you were charged for grading, Badger. That would be something to take up with your instructor, I think.

I've been thinking about flaws with the IBJJF ruleset quite a lot over the last year or so, and there are a few things I'd like to see implemented in order to make competition more fun, more exciting, and more open to personal expression.

First, open up the submission rules a bit, as follows:

white belt: attacking the high side for the straight footlock is now allowed, provided that no reap occurs. In the event that a reap occurs, no DQ will take place. The action would be paused and the reap undone, then action would restart.

blue belt: reaping the knee and kneebars are now both allowed.

purple belt: toeholds and bicep and calf slicers are now allowed.

brown and above: heel hooks are now allowed

My reasoning: A vast majority of the stalling complaints arise from the 50/50 situation. If knee reaping is allowed at the lower belts, competitors will have incentive from early in their careers to learn the proper leg lock game. By slowly adding more components to it as they progress, safety can remain paramount while competitors are allowed to use attacks that are efficient and effective. This should GREATLY reduce stalling from the 50/50 position, as more and higher percentage attacks are made available.

By the time they reach brown belt, they SHOULD be familiar enough with heel hooks that the injury rate should be a non-issue. At this point, many competitors will have been regularly training with reaping leg attacks since late in their white belt careers, so their defense should be good enough that we don't see knees exploding every time someone touches a leg.

Second, I believe that while the spirit of the IBJJF stalling rules is correct, they MUST be implemented strictly and aggressively for them to be effective. Jackson Sousa vs Lovato at this year's Worlds is a perfect example of this being done correctly, in my opinion. If the referees don't apply these penalties strictly and consistently, stalling will remain serious issue. It must be penalized aggressively.

Third, I feel that closeouts should NOT be allowed at any stage of the tournament. If teammates want to have a fun exhibition match in the final, that's their business, but they should have to compete in some fashion. It diminishes the sporting aspect of jiu-jitsu significantly when fighters refuse to go against each other because they train together, and as far as I know, it isn't an option in other tournament-based combat sports.

Just my (really long-winded) two cents.

At the very least no DQ for reaps i'd agree with, i'd like to see it as "let them play", but at the least no DQ would be nice. Other points are solid also.

You don't think it's at least possible, that he woudn't charge for it, had the IBJJF club fees not been what they are? Maybe, and maybe not, i'd have to ask him specifically, but i'm sure in some circles it's possible.

excuse me but do you know how much is to register your club to ibjjf?

It is USD100. one time fee I believe.

Or you can always piggy back ride from an already established registred club (which is what everyone is doing).

Perhaps it's the affiliate fee i was confusing with membership fee under IBJJF for clubs. My mistake with that and i apologize. Moving on.

At the very least no DQ for reaps i'd agree with, i'd like to see it as "let them play", but at the least no DQ would be nice. Other points are solid also.

While I personally would be on board with reaping being allowed at all belts, I can understand why some people wouldn't be. As a white belt, there will very likely be a tremendous amount of technique that you haven't been exposed to unless it fits in the relatively narrow traditional BJJ positional hierarchy. Because more developed leg attacks are something of a modern addition to jiu-jitsu, many white belts may not have trained them much yet, as they work to familiarize themselves with the fundamentals of establishing proper position and things of that sort. That's why I propose that reaping be allowed from blue belt forward. This also gives white belts a chance to be working on reaping in training a bit in preparation for competition at blue belt.

By the time you're a blue belt, "I hadn't seen that before and didn't know what to do!" should no longer be a valid excuse when it comes to relatively basic positions like common leg reaps and straight ankle locks, at least in my opinion, so I think that reaping should be allowed from blue onward.

Even that i would concede to as it makes much more logical sense then "no reaping period".

I have seen a lot of people respond that reaping should be allowed and heel hooks in the gi for brown and black. I haven't done many non IBJJF tournaments in the last couple of years, but what tournaments out there are using non IBJJF rules for the gi and are allowing knee reaping and heel hooks in the gi?

This thread is a good read.

My bet, knowing little of the BJJ scene, is that it'll be the older guys who dislike what its become. In judo, people who were serious judoka in the 70's and 80's, who remember when whole matches could take part on the ground with almost no referee interaction, when to win a match with a throw (ippon) meant a very hard, very controlled throw where you either ended up on top of or standing above the person thrown (uke), who remember where there were almost no illegal grips except the belt, those folks are the ones who hate the IJF and what its done to judo.

Younger judoka, who never knew anything differently (ie started in the 90's or later) don't mind modern judo (tho I'll note there are a lot less younger judoka than there were earlier, even in Japan from what I've been told). I'll bet its the same with BJJ. My only data point is the BJJ club where I teach throws/takedowns - the instructor (started BJJ in the 90's) hates current BJJ rules, and laments the loss of the old school (and is going more and more to sub-only and MMA because of that).

I think that's a fair assessment. I'm an older guy and I agree with most of what you said.

I don't like them.

I compete in BJJ tournaments fairly regularly( 3 - 4 times a year) . I actually made a point to stop competing IBJJF tournaments in 2008 and opt to support any other grappling org I could find.

In the long run I think those principles kind of cost me.

How did it cost you? You mean in prestige or in not competing as often?

The IBJJF promotion fees don't actually kick in until brown and black at which point you're looking at about 2k to get 'filliated and then another 400 or so to get certified. If they're taking money at other ranks, thats just your instructor.

The IBJJF promotion fees don't actually kick in until brown and black at which point you're looking at about 2k to get 'filliated and then another 400 or so to get certified. If they're taking money at other ranks, thats just your instructor.

Can you confirm that getting certified is not compulsory?

I know bb that are members of ibjjf and competed but did not apply to be certified.

That I don't know about. Getting affiliated, which is the big expense, IS mandatory, but I've heard that you can be good to go with as little as $35 on top of your affiliation fee as opposed to the full $400

how many times will you keep repeating this BS?

Back