For people who don't like IBJJF rules or state of sports BJJ

I suppose i should list some of my gripes with the IBJJF:
1. Reaping rule is bogus. Get rid of it. It limits leg lock play. Guard pulling is also dumb but that will never change.
2. No heel hooks even at black....these things should be legal at brown.
3. some of my takedowns being outlawed, not the biggest deal but it does change my style moderately.
4. The discrepancy of what is and isn't a slam; i've been DQ'd because i slipped while pulling out of an armbar. Yet, i can uchi mata someone and break their ribs all day...or throw someone out of bounds, into steel barricades and so forth.
5. Lack of safety mat area, IE 1.5 feet.
6. Everything runs on brazilian time. Scheduled for 3, compete at 6 after a 5:15 weigh in. Everytime...
7. They run it like a monopolistic Imperial Empire.
8. Each tournament has a different idea of weight; some allow 1lb to make up for discrepancies etc, others won't even allow a 0.2
9. Single elimination.
10. People refusing to compete against one another because they end up closing out the division. This should be a team points DQ IMO but it's not the end of the world.

I suppose there is more but these are some of my frustrations.

1&2-The IBJJF is not very leg lock friendly

3-The only takedown I am aware of that is banned is kani basami aka leg scissors and now gripping the belt and driving your opponents head into mat.

4- This is a good point. There is probably should be an alternative to a dq for an accidental or minor slam

5- What tournaments have a large safety mat area?

6-What tournaments are run smoother than the IBJJF ones?

7-Not entirely sure where you are going with this one, but it is always a good idea for a company to allow a means of feedback and suggestions form its customers.

8- The weight divisions are the same for each tournament. If you have been allowed to compete despite being a little over weight you have been lucky. You are supposed to be DQed for being one oz. over

9-Agree with this one. The 4 major tournaments should at least use some form of double elimination, especially since there is no seeding for the lower belts

One of the things I would really like to see the IBJJF implement is seeding for blue-brown belts for the 4 major tournaments. They already keep track of your points from previous tournaments and have an athlete ranking, so seeding the brackets would not be that difficult.

Personally I like the ban on knee reaping and heel hooks (for the gi), although I think a knee reap should just result in a penalty on the same level as stalling.

The IBJJF is not without its problems, but overall I think they put on better tournaments than other organizations.

I've been training for a year, and never competed. But I personally think training for points does dilute the essence of BJJ.

BJJ was developed to win real fights. And if you win a real fight with BJJ it's because you used a submission.
So I think if your goal is to not submit the person it's a bit of a diversion from the core of Jiu Jitsu.

Like two boxers fighting without punching each other, and just trying to win with superior footwork.

That's my two cents as a total newb.

I've been training for a year, and never competed. But I personally think training for points does dilute the essence of BJJ.

BJJ was developed to win real fights. And if you win a real fight with BJJ it's because you used a submission.
So I think if your goal is to not submit the person it's a bit of a diversion from the core of Jiu Jitsu.

Like two boxers fighting without punching each other, and just trying to win with superior footwork.

That's my two cents as a total newb.

Your analogy is just wrong. A better analogy would be two boxers fighting and neither knocking each other out.

At the highest level, submission are incredibly difficult,and just like the knockout, it's more difficult to win the match through it. However if you win the boxing match through better ring control and punching the guy more, isn't that similar to taking a guy down, passing guard and getting a dominant top position?

1&2-The IBJJF is not very leg lock friendly

3-The only takedown I am aware of that is banned is kani basami aka leg scissors and now gripping the belt and driving your opponents head into mat.

4- This is a good point. There is probably should be an alternative to a dq for an accidental or minor slam

5- What tournaments have a large safety mat area?

6-What tournaments are run smoother than the IBJJF ones?

7-Not entirely sure where you are going with this one, but it is always a good idea for a company to allow a means of feedback and suggestions form its customers.

8- The weight divisions are the same for each tournament. If you have been allowed to compete despite being a little over weight you have been lucky. You are supposed to be DQed for being one oz. over

9-Agree with this one. The 4 major tournaments should at least use some form of double elimination, especially since there is no seeding for the lower belts

One of the things I would really like to see the IBJJF implement is seeding for blue-brown belts for the 4 major tournaments. They already keep track of your points from previous tournaments and have an athlete ranking, so seeding the brackets would not be that difficult.

Personally I like the ban on knee reaping and heel hooks (for the gi), although I think a knee reap should just result in a penalty on the same level as stalling.

The IBJJF is not without its problems, but overall I think they put on better tournaments than other organizations.

1/2. I understand that, it needs to change, however.

3. I've been told not to uchi mata a person if their head is on the outside even or i'd be DQ'd, and there is another of my throws i tend to use that is banned called sumi gaeshi. I've also been told not to back arching throw people. And after observation, it is because BJJ players do not focus enough on takedowns or their defense or how to take a fall. So the art is limited here especially.

5. Judo, wrestling, Sambo. BJJ mats have the tiniest safety areas it's a joke (i've even seen some use puzzle mats..), i can't count how many times i've accidentally thrown someone onto hard wood as a result.
I understand some might say control your throw but most people tend to open up more closely to out of bounds and try to push me out to score an advantage. So I throw whenever i can, they hit whatever.

6. Wrestling, judo tournaments run infinitely smoother with the same amount or more competitors. A standard 500 person wrestling tournament will start at 9 and end around 5. All of my BJJ tournaments that have started at 9 ended at 9 or 10. I know so many people who leave without claiming their medal or finishing a division. Bout #'s eliminate a lot of wasted time.

7. See virtually every complaint, guys being banned from areas/side with water despite it's not listed under rules. Numerous other things and you always get the same response "we value our participants feedback"...and nothing is done.

8. I never said the weight divisions changed, but some tournaments give a 1lb leeway to make up for any inaccuracies the scale or reader may have. Others if you're over 0.2 you are DQ'd. This is kind of bogus to DQ someone for 1-200 grams. Never seen this in judo and very rarely do i see it in wrestling, more often than not the scale readers will tell you to turn around and walk off (international meets are more rigid however, but smaller tournaments shouldn't be this strict on that).

9. Double elimination would be nice period, paying 75$ for one match after traveling 4-10 hours like some do is well, disheartening. Best examples are the smaller competitor divisions of 2-4 people. Rarely do i see a round robin.

The reaping rule really limits leg lock play and i've never been hurt nor seen anyone hurt from reaping in person. So realistically this just comes down to who is who and how soon one can tap. I've seen more injuries from a straight achilles locks; one of our best guys was taken out for 3 weeks on crutches after a guy snapped his ankle with one, and he is a log lock guy specifically. He knows when to tap. So even those aren't "safe" like they claim. They are limiting their own art by restricting movements.

In all the organizations i've competed under, i am most unsatisfied with IBJJF, to a point i am strongly considering never competing in another of their tournaments even if we are hosting provincials in our home city. I would rather compete in other organizations even if they are rarer to occur in my area. I don't have fun at IBJJF tournaments really.

Last edited:
1/2. I understand that, it needs to change, however.

3. I've been told not to uchi mata a person if their head is on the outside even or i'd be DQ'd, and there is another of my throws i tend to use that is banned called sumi gaeshi. I've also been told not to back arching throw people. And after observation, it is because BJJ players do not focus enough on takedowns or their defense or how to take a fall. So the art is limited here especially.

You can uchi mata a person from any position and sumi gaeshi is not banned. If someones head is on the outside while they are preforming a single leg action is halted for white belts and it is illegal to drive their head into the mat for blue belt and above. Ony the DDT was banned

7. See virtually every complaint, guys being banned from areas/side with water despite it's not listed under rules.

Yeah I remember that thread. I don't think it ever happened

8. I never said the weight divisions changed, but some tournaments give a 1lb leeway to make up for any inaccuracies the scale or reader may have. Others if you're over 0.2 you are DQ'd. This is kind of bogus to DQ someone for 1-200 grams.

Are you talking about different BJJ tournament organizations or different IBJJF tournament locations. What IBJJF tournament did you attend where they were giving a 1lb leeway?

9. Double elimination would be nice period, paying 75$ for one match after traveling 4-10 hours like some do is well, disheartening. Best examples are the smaller competitor divisions of 2-4 people. Rarely do i see a round robin.

Agree with this.

In all the organizations i've competed under, i am most unsatisfied with IBJJF, to a point i am strongly considering never competing in another of their tournaments even if we are hosting provincials in our home city. I would rather compete in other organizations even if they are rarer to occur in my area. I don't have fun at IBJJF tournaments really.

It is odd that you are the most unsatisfied with the IBJJF. What organizations did you find that were better than the IBJJF

I get told otherwise if their head is on the outside not to uchi mata (standard uchi mata okay) or sumi gaeshi or i'll be DQ'd. Exact words from the refs. Backing arching throw is also warned against for some reason.

He wasn't the only person for that to occur to, but there are numerous dumb little random things they get upset over that are trivial.

Our provincials and regional IBJJF tournaments gave a 1lb leeway and have the last two years since i've been here. Where as the GTA classic did not. These are all IBJJF tournaments.

FILA wrestling tournaments and IJF tournaments prior to the morote gari elimination. Heck, even a generic mixed grappling tournament was more fun (not a specific org, just insured). I'm not the only person who dislikes the IBJJF.

I think all submissions should be legal at black belt. I also think guard pulling should be -1 points, or 1 point for your opponent to encourage TDs. I think stalling calls should be given out more frequently. That's about it. I have no complaints with how the tournaments are run from the ones I've been to.

^ Agreed on those guard pulling points. I also think points should be given for a reversal and not just sweeps, IE: Guy is in North/South on top of me, he tries to move and i rotate out and North/South him.

I think people should go and compete somewhere else if they are not happy with ibjjf. Go and become a naga or adcc world champion instead.
About those heelhooks, can someone when where they ever legal in a ibjjf rules?

The problems with the IBJJ are mostly organizational. It just isn't a sports governing body. Here are some suggestions

1. Double elimination tournaments.
2. Qualification system for the major championships. Max two reps per country/weight at the world championships. National organizations run tournaments in their own country and choose their world championship teams.
3. National organizations have programs making it easier and cheapter to open gyms, run tournaments, and learn to practice and coach the sport.
4. No more teammate closeouts at major championships. Just shows how Micky Mouse this sport is. Could you imagine the Williams sisters telling the Wimbledon organizers they didn't want to play each other in the final?
5. Seeding at major championships based on qualification
6. Day before weigh-ins. If someone is a scratch at weigh-ins there is absolutely no time to re-seed/draw the bracket to keep it from being unbalanced with mat side weigh-ins.
7. Remove DQs for a foul of any kid other than flagrant misconducts. If someone uses an illegal hold then the match should be stopped points awarded to the opponent of the competitor who just used the illegal hold. The match should then be restarted assuming the competitor can continue otherwise DQ.
8. Allow knee reaping.
9. Award points on position to keep symmetry in scoring. Reversals score the same as sweeps. Guard pulls the same as a TD.
10. Better training program for referees. Maintain a list of recognized referees that tournament organizers can use to hire referees and organize tournaments.
11. Insurance for competitors.
12. Drug testing all major international events at the black belt level.
13. Don't have the major championships in the same location every year.
14. Ditch advantages or make them awarded for clearly defined actions with less referee discretion.
15. Have a ranking system for referees and choose top ranked referees for the major championships. This probably requires a referees association to do this.

I highly dislike the IBJJF and their style of tournaments/rules etc, however the majority of the tournaments i compete in are IBJJF because they put up the most amount of tournaments, and are closest to my area.
It's really more of a "it's all we have" market, especially considering it's the only tournaments my coaches attend, so attending other tournament styles you are left coachless unless you can manage to convince an upper belt to go with you.

I suppose i should list some of my gripes with the IBJJF:
1. Reaping rule is bogus. Get rid of it. It limits leg lock play. Guard pulling is also dumb but that will never change.
2. No heel hooks even at black....these things should be legal at brown.
3. some of my takedowns being outlawed, not the biggest deal but it does change my style moderately.
4. The discrepancy of what is and isn't a slam; i've been DQ'd because i slipped while pulling out of an armbar. Yet, i can uchi mata someone and break their ribs all day...or throw someone out of bounds, into steel barricades and so forth.
5. Lack of safety mat area, IE 1.5 feet.
6. Everything runs on brazilian time. Scheduled for 3, compete at 6 after a 5:15 weigh in. Everytime...
7. They run it like a monopolistic Imperial Empire.
8. Each tournament has a different idea of weight; some allow 1lb to make up for discrepancies etc, others won't even allow a 0.2
9. Single elimination.
10. People refusing to compete against one another because they end up closing out the division. This should be a team points DQ IMO but it's not the end of the world.

I suppose there is more but these are some of my frustrations.

Nice summary of why I have never, and will never pay to compete at an ibjjf tournament.

Plus all the grading and fee bullshit.

Plus all the grading and fee bullshit.

Please elaborate on the grading and fee BS.

From what I understood, all they ask is you pay for a annual membership card of USD35.

Is it so bad?

35? I pay 50.
And i had to pay 45$ for my blue belt, and 45$ for my 4th stripe previous. My other BJJ club (8 hours away) charges nothing for grading, ever. They even buy YOU the belt.

If i am ever fortunate enough to become a black belt in BJJ, no student of mine will ever pay for grading.

35? I pay 50.
And i had to pay 45$ for my blue belt, and 45$ for my 4th stripe previous. My other BJJ club (8 hours away) charges nothing for grading, ever. They even buy YOU the belt.

You are confusing IBJJF membership and grading.

IBJJF does not have anything to do with your grading fees.

It is your problem if your instructor charges you for your training, stripes, belt etc..

35? I pay 50.

What you pay for your belt or grading has nothing to do with IBJJF, that's on your association/club. I don't agree with grading or belt fees per se, but that's outside the scope of this thread.

I understand the difference, i merely added it as a generic gripe. Which may or may not in some club circles, be a result of IBJJF club fees. Whether it is the case for mine i have no idea.

I understand the difference, i merely added it as a generic gripe. Which may or may not in some club circles, be a result of IBJJF club fees. Whether it is the case for mine i have no idea.

no, the fact that your current instructor is charging for tutition, stripes and grading is not related to IBJJF club fees.

You don't think it's at least possible, that he woudn't charge for it, had the IBJJF club fees not been what they are? Maybe, and maybe not, i'd have to ask him specifically, but i'm sure in some circles it's possible.

Back