For people who did wrestling..

As for TS question, it has a lot to do with stance, aggressiveness and a ton of other variables.

Volume strikers like Condit, Diaz etc etc have a tendency to put themselves in bad positions to defend TDs with the intent to do damage.

Also, you'd get much better answers in the grappling technique forum.

TD defense:
First is reaction time - sprawl
Second is strength to fight it off if they land. This is the body part.
Third is will/conditioning. Both equally strong.. who wants it more?

Condits upright stance doesn't give him enough time to drop his hips for the sprawl. He's no scrub off his back though, so I don't think he minds giving up a couple

Not everyone sprawls, some attack into the take down attempt.

I don't believe in the "who wants it more" that much in a match. I think being selective on that techniques you apply is more important.

The thing about a lot (pretty much all) of the elite wrestlers is that they have been doing it since they were young children. Unless you are just a freak athlete with an insane work ethic (like GSP), it is next to impossible to achieve that kind of ability that has taken some a lifetime of wrestling non-stop to achieve. Body type has little to do with it imo.

It just comes down to mat-time and experience, which is how great wrestling technique is obtained over time.

condit has a striking style that doesnt lend itself to good wrestling defense.

This! Condit could probably be a better wrestler than he is if he concentrated on it but that would mean deviating from what made him successful in the first place.

For instance he's got a big kicking game. Kicking a wrestler means you're liable to get taken down a lot if they can catch your kicks. Even Phil Davis saw that happen against Evans.

This! Condit could probably be a better wrestler than he is if he concentrated on it but that would mean deviating from what made him successful in the first place.

For instance he's got a big kicking game. Kicking a wrestler means you're liable to get taken down a lot if they can catch your kicks. Even Phil Davis saw that happen against Evans.

Where was that kick thrown I forget. I believe if ur up against a good wrestler kicks should be at or below knee level or up high at head anything else u better know the kick is landing before u throw it if not td city.

The thing about a lot (pretty much all) of the elite wrestlers is that they have been doing it since they were young children. Unless you are just a freak athlete with an insane work ethic (like GSP), it is next to impossible to achieve that kind of ability that has taken some a lifetime of wrestling non-stop to achieve. Body type has little to do with it imo.

It just comes down to mat-time and experience, which is how great wrestling technique is obtained over time.

A great coach is just as important as well. Look at some of the high school programs around the country. Year end year out same few teams at the top.

Where was that kick thrown I forget. I believe if ur up against a good wrestler kicks should be at or below knee level or up high at head anything else u better know the kick is landing before u throw it if not td city.

Condit kicks everywhere. He mostly kicked Diaz in the legs but remember he knocked GSP down with one to the head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back