For people who did wrestling..

Demetrious

White Belt
Reaction score
For people who did wrestling, I have a question (ps: I don't anything about wrestling)

Fighters who have bad wrestling defense (or not so good wrestling) like Carlos Condit is result more of bad technique or they are limited by their body type [or something like that]?

Not body type as much as people like to claim. It's just the way the cookie crumbles. Some guys just aren't GREAT at certain things. I wrestled since I was 8 and I never won a state title. My friend joined the team our senior year and took 3rd and he had NEVER wrestled prior. I tried Mma and knocked out my first opponent. Shit happens

Hard to say because their is so many different factors that come into play. But one thing is sure, alot of top ufc fighters have at one time or another been guilty of not putting enough time on the wrestling mat, and its cost them.

^^^^

What Megatronlee said.
He's just not good at it. Shaq was a great ball player, but the motherfucker couldn't shoot a free throw to save his life.

Well one major thing is that the wrestling stance is completely different than a striking stance. It's way easier to take someone down if they aren't lowering their center of gravity.

ASC-004.jpg

For people who wrestled.... Not everyone can be a Gsp type of athlete I'm guessing Carlos didn't wrestle before he started mma idk though. His body type is perfect for mma btw

Carlos gets taken down by great wrestlers. its mostly his style tho

as my incarcerated brother would say..."He pops that Bottle"

TD defense:
First is reaction time - sprawl
Second is strength to fight it off if they land. This is the body part.
Third is will/conditioning. Both equally strong.. who wants it more?

Condits upright stance doesn't give him enough time to drop his hips for the sprawl. He's no scrub off his back though, so I don't think he minds giving up a couple

condit has a striking style that doesnt lend itself to good wrestling defense.

I wrestled. I coach now. I was tall and thin. I coach my son who has same body type. I always felt in TDD I was at a disadvantage, but had other advantages with other maneuvers. It also comes down to strength and speed. Some guys have more. I was Avg..My son has both in spades. Wrestling is all about reps and practice...not something easy to pick up in short amount of time. My son practices shooting for a full hour 3x a week...JUST shooting.

For people who did wrestling, I have a question (ps: I don't anything about wrestling)

Fighters who have bad wrestling defense (or not so good wrestling) like Carlos Condit is result more of bad technique or they are limited by their body type [or something like that]?

To start most wrestlers aren't very good. You can be in the top 1% and get smashed by someone a bit higher in that top 1% but I guess that isn't relevant.

One difference is unlearning some things. Two things are obvious, wrestlers are used to dealing with someone that is trying to wrestle them, that have to get used to taking someone down that is more erect in their stance. They also have to adjust their technique to a world without strikes. Wresting is great but sometimes habits are harder for some people to break.

It can be tough for someone who has included a method, technique, or habit for 10 years than suddenly have to try and forget about it. I think there is almost as much unlearning as there is learning and unlearning can be difficult for some people.

Definitely not body type I was ranked #1in high school and could flop everyone accept one tall lanky guy, I couldn't even shoot in on him

Last edited:
For people who wrestled.... Not everyone can be a Gsp type of athlete I'm guessing Carlos didn't wrestle before he started mma idk though. His body type is perfect for mma btw

could be wrong but i thought i heard he did wrestle in HS and actually wasn't terrible

could be wrong but i thought i heard he did wrestle in HS and actually wasn't terrible

Cool man he's obv a gifted athlete. I didn't know he wrestled would like to know how far he got his senior year.

To start most wrestlers aren't very good. You can be in the top 1% and get smashed by someone a bit higher in that top 1% but I guess that isn't relevant.

One difference is unlearning some things. Two things are obvious, wrestlers are used to dealing with someone that is trying to wrestle them, that have to get used to taking someone down that is more erect in their stance. They also have to adjust their technique to a world without strikes. Wresting is great but sometimes habits are harder for some people to break.

It can be tough for someone who has included a method, technique, or habit for 10 years than suddenly have to try and forget about it. I think there is almost as much unlearning as there is learning and unlearning can be difficult for some people.

I've said this for a long time- that some wrestlers just have a particular style that lends itself to bad habits in an mma environment, and the ones that have been wrestling their whole life all the way to the world stage have an extremely hard time getting rid of those habits. It's why you see college level guys having much better mma wrestling in some matches. The other thing is most of the world level guys have obviously not had time to work on anything else in decades. It's just like world level strikers or bjj guys: too much of one thing will make you one dimensional initially.

I've said this for a long time- that some wrestlers just have a particular style that lends itself to bad habits in an mma environment, and the ones that have been wrestling their whole life all the way to the world stage have an extremely hard time getting rid of those habits. It's why you see college level guys having much better mma wrestling in some matches. The other thing is most of the world level guys have obviously not had time to work on anything else in decades. It's just like world level strikers or bjj guys: too much of one thing will make you one dimensional initially.

The international guys are doing freestyle and greco, they are not really doing the ground game anymore and the rule set does not work out as well for scramblers.

Some people do a great job of unlearning things, unlearning is a bit different than learning and some are quite good at it.

TD defense:
First is reaction time - sprawl
Second is strength to fight it off if they land. This is the body part.
Third is will/conditioning. Both equally strong.. who wants it more?

Da fuck is this? Strength pays a strong backseat to technique first off. Who wants it more? It would have nothing to do with who's defending/attacking properly or anything would it? It isn't Dragonball Z ffs.

By that logic if Carlos gets taken down it's because he didn't want it more? If Mariusz Pudzhdbejshski (not even gonna try to spell that right) learned how to simply sprawl he would never be taken down?

I'm gonna go ahead and guess you've never wrestled a day in your life.

Last edited:
The international guys are doing freestyle and greco, they are not really doing the ground game anymore and the rule set does not work out as well for scramblers.

Some people do a great job of unlearning things, unlearning is a bit different than learning and some are quite good at it.

definitely, i was just stating that because some people expect everyone with a world level background in a single combat sport to come in and dominate (and especially not get bested in that one dimension) but it's not that simple. Some other things that help a high level wrestler, though, are the ability to learn combat skills in a structured environment and ELITE athleticism.

Back