For MMA: Boxing or Kickboxing

C

catabolic kid

I am just wondering why so many people choose kickboxing over boxing when looking for a striking art in MMA.

All, of the great kickboxers never effectively use the kicks in kikcboxing(except cro cop).

The guys like Wanderlei, Lidell, Rutten, Franklin and others that I cant think of right now.

The point is everyone always says"BJJ and Muay Thai" and then when you see the MMA fights all the Thai boxers use effectively is punches...maybe some low kicks are effective and of course the knees...but is kickboxing necessary or would it be smarter to just train in regular boxing. I am asking becasue I may be missing something, not because I think kickboxing is not any good.

How about, striking and muay thai? Throw in some bjj. And your the man.

boxing teachs you to avoid punches by ducking your head ie bobbing and weaveing in mma this tends to lead to geting kneed in the face

kickboxing, every time.

Just look at Lee Murray Vs Anderson Silva.

some of the most effective fighters in mma ie the Emilienenko and Minouritoro brothers have a very solid foundation in boxing that stands them in good stead. Remember - boxers always have better hands than kickboxers

tahi boxing includes knees and elbows, if im not mistaken, which are heavily used and useful

catabolic kid said:
I am just wondering why so many people choose kickboxing over boxing when looking for a striking art in MMA.

All, of the great kickboxers never effectively use the kicks in kikcboxing(except cro cop).

The guys like Wanderlei, Lidell, Rutten, Franklin and others that I cant think of right now.

The point is everyone always says"BJJ and Muay Thai" and then when you see the MMA fights all the Thai boxers use effectively is punches...maybe some low kicks are effective and of course the knees...but is kickboxing necessary or would it be smarter to just train in regular boxing. I am asking becasue I may be missing something, not because I think kickboxing is not any good.

Did you just say that Bas Rutten didn't effectively use kicks? Are you kidding?

Silva has great knees, that's from muay thai.

Liddell knocked out Babalu with a kick, and if you think he doesn't use leg kicks, watch him chop down Jeff Monson.

Muay Thai kickboxing, or some complete form of striking is very important in MMA. You have to know how to do more than punch.

Richard Emling said:
boxing teachs you to avoid punches by ducking your head ie bobbing and weaveing in mma this tends to lead to geting kneed in the face

I could'nt agree with this more. I train in both Muay Thai and boxing and Muay Thai fits in better with MMA.

The Thai clinch, as opposed to the boxing clinch, could be used very effectively in MMA.

Boxing emphasizes angles and defense...lots of movement in the hips where Muay Thai is more "staright up"

Both boxing and muay thai have their strong points, but muay thai has more carry over in mma, of course, you always have to modify certain things with each discipline to use them effectively in mma. I would say use muay thai if you have the access to it, if not use boxing since that might be more likely to be around than muay thai in some areas. The best choice would be to train with someone who has done both and knows how to mix up good hands with the other striking skills of muay thai.

I would go with the boxing. you get your hands a lot better. The clinches and the knees you can learn pretty quickly if you train seriously. Look what happened to Ken Shamrock against Rich he went for a kick fell on his ass, and Rich capitalized and KO'ed him. You can still learn some low kicks and use them. You do have to train a little in everything, so I would first focus on the boxing IMO

Richard Emling said:
great point.
just curious, if you have the professional fighter tag, why is horn's pic in your av...do you train with him?

boxing is great and most fighters have a boxing coach as well as a muay thai coach.
boxing is not dismissed.
if you look at a crocops training video he spars with croatia's top boxer and dominates.
just because some fighters would rather fight with shins rather than fists doesnt honestly mean that they do not box.

I was debating whether to train MT or Boxing i went with boxing. i believe a boxer with good MT defence wrestling and bjj will be the MMA fighters of the future

also as someone above said, ducking and weaving gets you fucked by the muay thai clinch
please oh please recognise that thai boxing is completely different to kickboxing

#1 I am fed up of hearing morons claim that these are mutually exclusive IT IS SO DUMB IT MAKES MY BRAIN HURT!!! If you train MT and cannot box then you need to start practicing because someone is gonna come along and totally ass rape you! If you train boxing for MMA and neglect knee's, low kicks, thai clinch and blocking amongst a thousand other things then you are gonna get totally wrecked as soon as you come up against a more acomplished fighter, or training partner. Adjustments could be argued to be made in terms of ducking in/solid stance and many other things hence 'MMA'!!

MT is a ring sport and the science of 8 LIMBS not 6......Geez

#2 SEARCH ENGINE : i.e. http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=305581

tra's_right said:
muay thai, easily

You don't learn to box properly in Muay Thai. The kicks are valued there so much more so the emphasis is on them. Let's face it, either you wanna knock someone out in an MMA match or you want to take the match to the ground. People like Mirko who KO with a headkick are an exception and I'd say that it's better to hone your punches excellent and kicks sufficient enough. After all, you won't be spending much time kicking. Much more punching. That's just the way it goes.

You even need boxing to make takedowns work. Just look at Coleman vs. Mirko. Coleman just went straight for the shot, not even trying to box. You can see that from a mile away.

ShaolinFist said:
You don't learn to box properly in Muay Thai

Maybe if you belong to a shit club, maybe if you are to much of a retard to realise its importance, maybe if you are living in Thailand in the 1970's................ Or most likely because you are talking bollocks, you total muppet!!!

As for the rest of what you said it was even more RUBBISH.You would get ass f#*ked by an all rounder, or as they are also known 'MODERN FIGHTER'!!

i kickbox and my buddy boxes, and i kick his ass everytime we go at it, kickboxing, mma, and even when we are just boxing

harry greb said:
some of the most effective fighters in mma ie the Emilienenko and Minouritoro brothers have a very solid foundation in boxing that stands them in good stead. Remember - boxers always have better hands than kickboxers

Good reasoning.

And kickboxers have better kicks than boxers.

OMG!

Back