For MMA: Boxing or Kickboxing

catabolic kid said:
I am just wondering why so many people choose kickboxing over boxing when looking for a striking art in MMA.

All, of the great kickboxers never effectively use the kicks in kikcboxing(except cro cop).

The guys like Wanderlei, Lidell, Rutten, Franklin and others that I cant think of right now.

The point is everyone always says"BJJ and Muay Thai" and then when you see the MMA fights all the Thai boxers use effectively is punches...maybe some low kicks are effective and of course the knees...but is kickboxing necessary or would it be smarter to just train in regular boxing. I am asking becasue I may be missing something, not because I think kickboxing is not any good.

Did you just say that Bas Rutten doesn't use kicks? Are you insane?

Also Chuck Liddell's style of kickboxing isn't really Muay Thai. MT also includes knees and elbows, it's not just kicks. And I noticed Silva on your list. If you don't think Silva uses knees effectively then I don't think you've ever watched the man fight.

Holy crap this is an old thread and I posted before reading my old post, where I said almost exactly the same thing.

Boxing is just too one dimensional. Kickboxing is the only way to go.

If you have to choose then Kickboxing! But the best standup to train IMO is Maui Thai!

You will have more use of your knees in mma then your High kicks!

Cro Cop is the only one i can think of who has used his Kickboxing skills to perfection!

But boxing is a mean mean sport as well, if you train a MMA oriented boxing then man, look out!

wrestlintitan said:
I was debating whether to train MT or Boxing i went with boxing. i believe a boxer with good MT defence wrestling and bjj will be the MMA fighters of the future

LOL! :icon_twis

I kickbox, but I certainly wouldn't discount a boxer or say don't train in boxing. It's really all good, you just have to cross train and work with any style you can. Well, except Joe Son Do and RIP!

I'd say Muay Thai is easier to adapt to MMA competition than Boxing. One reason being the stance. I'm not saying the Muay Thai stance is perfect for MMA but I think it's easier to adapt to an MMA stance since it's more square that a sideways boxing stance. Also the clinching, knees, and elbows adapt well to MMA. Boxing does have clinching, but it's not the kind you want for MMA, it's mainly to tie someone up or catch some wind. Also I think Muay Thai gyms focus a lot more on hands then they used to (of course that depends on the coach). People who say to train boxing but incorporate kickboxing(Muay Thai skills) such as leg checks, clinch, knees, elbows are basically saying to train both. If you trained all those other techniques it wouldn't be boxing! With that being said, I think anyone serious about competing in MMA should train both. I would recommend training primarily Muay Thai but crosstrain some aspects of Boxing in there. To answer the original question, if I had to pick one style for MMA it would be kickboxing (assuming Muay Thai and not American Kickboxing).

I know a lot of people think going to a Muay Thai class and then a BJJ class will make them a good MMA competitor but if you watch MMA athletes train, they focus a lot on transitioning from grappling to striking and back and forth. If you want to compete in MMA find an MMA school or a coach who teaches other MMA competitors.

Train in both. Boxers are the best punchers. Boxing teaches better defensive techniques as well (in my opinion). However, you need to train in kicks to give you a bigger arsenal.

You need both the hand skills of boxing and the leg and clinch skills of Muay Thai to be an effective fighter.

Back