? for BJJ experts (Darce/Brabo related)

Drew Foster

Silver Belt
Reaction score
I'm still within my first year of REALLY doing BJJ consistently 3-4 times a week.

I was reading that tips for newbie post. One tip said that until you're a solid level Blue, you'll probably only land 3-5 subs consistently.

My favorite move is the darce/brabo. Is it too advanced for someone in my situation?

I only ask because the basic subs are like:

triangle
armbar
keylock
kimura
rnc
guillotine
etc.

Should I focus more on these or is it okay that I'm going for the darce a lot, because I do catch it at least once or twice every night that we roll. So I'm not a guy who's going and going for it, but never gets it.

It really isn't very advanced. Which moves do you hit consistently?

It really isn't very advanced. Which moves do you hit consistently?

I am consistent with in order from most consistent to less:

Triangle (the MOST) consistent: I go for that with 2 or 3 different setups in guard before I attempt a sweep. I've heard this is bad BJJ, and a a novice/intermediate player you should not work on a "game"and always advance position. Any, I went off course.

Darce/Brabo: I love it because even when they follow BJJ law, they still get caught.

Inverted/telephone armbar: 75% of the time from guard, 25% from the mount. If they bend, I go for Kimura.

Armbar: From guard ONLY! Everytime I try it from mount the come up and I have to tansition to triangle. Even when I put all my weight on them and go forit, they still escape. So I get scared to try it. I CAN get it to work from S-Mount.

Guillotine: I seem to get that a lot

Omoplata: I'm flexible and have long legs.

Those are my go-tos. But out of every 10 subs I get, 7/10 will either be a triangle from the back or darce/brabo from side control, in 1/2 guard, or during a pass.

I wish I could say number 1 was the RNC. I'm working on it so hard. I got a goo armdrag, but can't finish once I get to the back. They always get out of my hooks. Should I do a body triangle???

Sorry for the long post Frodo.

Oh Yea. I only roll No-Gi. My schedule conflicts with the Gi classes. So keep in mind that I'm doing all these in board shorts and a t-shirt.

From mount, try going forward over his chest when doing the armbar.

I think he means going forward for a belly down armbar. There is no opportunity for him to come up.

Yep. I begin to apply pressure as soon as I step over the head and lean over his body; I don't wait for him to roll down to his belly. I find this works well.

Ugh, I envy you. I never manage to finish brabos. I actually get them close to locked up, but I'm just missing something--they always end up cranking the neck instead (I have long arms too, they should work well for me).

This doesn't answer your question. I'm just complainin'

Ugh, I envy you. I never manage to finish brabos. I actually get them close to locked up, but I'm just missing something--they always end up cranking the neck instead (I have long arms too, they should work well for me).

This doesn't answer your question. I'm just complainin'

Most people when they get the choke, sueeze down and in, like how you choke a RNC. If you have a right-handed darce, so your right arm is around the neck and grabbing the left crook of the bicep, make sure your right forearm is biting into their left carotid artery. Their left shoulder will be in the other side of their carotid (you obviously know this much.

Try dropping your left shoulder and raising your right shoulder while dropping your hips down. This will raise your right forearm into their artery and cause a choke rather than apressure crank, which rarely gets a tap.

YouTube - ***BONUS***

Skip to 2:18.

That saved my Darce/Brabo. Best advice I ever got on it.

Most people when they get the choke, sueeze down and in, like how you choke a RNC. If you have a right-handed darce, so your right arm is around the neck and grabbing the left crook of the bicep, make sure your right forearm is biting into their left carotid artery. Their left shoulder will be in the other side of their carotid (you obviously know this much.

Try dropping your left shoulder and raising your right shoulder while dropping your hips down. This will raise your right forearm into their artery and cause a choke rather than apressure crank, which rarely gets a tap.

YouTube - ***BONUS***

Woah, that is great advice. Never heard that before, but it really makes sense!

Glad you guys liked it! It feels good to be considered part of the team on the grappling forum with serious martial artists as opposed to getting heckled at every post by a bunch of hooligans in the HW forum.

I'm having a great time here!

YouTube - ***BONUS***

Surprised it took me this long to notice this thread. I find actually that the way Ryan describes it, cranks, more than chokes. In order to REALLY get a solid choke from the Darce (mind you, this is all of my non-adcc experience, lol), you have to understand 3 key pressures, and where they are coming from:

This example is assuming you have a right handed Darce

1st Pressure - Your forearm into their right Carotid Artery
2nd Pressure - Your chest driving their shoulder into their left Carotid Artery
3rd Pressure - You pulling their head into their chest with your left elbow (RNC Grip)

I found by doing it that way, the right should naturally raises on its own.

Finishing the Darce

As for finishing it, im not too found of sprawling my legs out, because you get some of those wormy, rubbery, lower back flexibility types, they will always somehow manage to re-guard, and start hitting Darce counters. The two ways that I've found that work really well to prevent that are by either:

A) Keeping your right foot (instep) flat to the mat, and using your knee to block his hips
B) Completely stepping your right leg over his torso, then applying the 3 pressures (this sucks balls, and can be a horrible crank if they try to resist)

Some really good sources for Darce study:

Bjorn Friedrich - Position Brabo
Soca - No Gi DVD
Subfighter.com membership
Shinya Aoki - Vol. 1+2
Robert Drysdale - Nth Dimension Jiu Jitsu

Hope that helps...

Glad you guys liked it! It feels good to be considered part of the team on the grappling forum with serious martial artists as opposed to getting heckled at every post by a bunch of hooligans in the HW forum.

I'm having a great time here!

I would have to agree with your statements! It is nice to talk technique with a bunch of guys/gals that actually train!

Anyway, in reference to your initial post...
I would not say the Darce/Brabo choke is "too advanced to learn" or to be your go to move. Have have had several instructors talk about how extremely complex the triangle choke is (when you break it down), and by that rationale that move should not be the go to move of a "beginner"...

I look at it this way, when you are a beginner and still learning the basics (some would argue that a beginner in BJJ is any one under 3 years) focus on the basics. In regards to your submissions this is your "high precentage moves". Focus on learning the mechanics and technique of the basics for the beginning of your BJJ career (which it sounds as if you are doing). That way when you become more advance you will have a strong base to build from, and "advanced" techniques will actually come a lot easier...

Put another way you do not want to focus all of your time on a submission/set up that only comes up 1% of the time when you are 1st starting...you can do that later in your career when you have a solid base from which to build from

So long story long...
From what i know of the darce/brabo choke, it is not a low precentage move, and chances to hit it come up rather often, so if you like it (it works for your body type/style) i say go for it!

Surprised it took me this long to notice this thread. I find actually that the way Ryan describes it, cranks, more than chokes. In order to REALLY get a solid choke from the Darce (mind you, this is all of my non-adcc experience, lol), you have to understand 3 key pressures, and where they are coming from:

This example is assuming you have a right handed Darce

1st Pressure - Your forearm into their right Carotid Artery
2nd Pressure - Your chest driving their shoulder into their left Carotid Artery
3rd Pressure - You pulling their head into their chest with your left elbow (RNC Grip)

I found by doing it that way, the right should naturally raises on its own.

Finishing the Darce

As for finishing it, im not too found of sprawling my legs out, because you get some of those wormy, rubbery, lower back flexibility types, they will always somehow manage to re-guard, and start hitting Darce counters. The two ways that I've found that work really well to prevent that are by either:

A) Keeping your right foot (instep) flat to the mat, and using your knee to block his hips
B) Completely stepping your right leg over his torso, then applying the 3 pressures (this sucks balls, and can be a horrible crank if they try to resist)

Some really good sources for Darce study:

Bjorn Friedrich - Position Brabo
Soca - No Gi DVD
Subfighter.com membership
Shinya Aoki - Vol. 1+2
Robert Drysdale - Nth Dimension Jiu Jitsu

Hope that helps...

Thanks homie! Hit me up on AIM man! It's been a while. I'm gonna go train my throws with Karo in a few weeks,I'm stoked.

Back