foot jabbing the thigh?

is that frowned upon in Thailand or something? serious question...

dont know if he does it in actual training or just for training videos.

even frontkicking the face in the first rounds of a fight is seen as a pretty dickhead move. i dont think he does it in every training session.

hmm...i guess the main reason i dont do it in sparring is because im a bit hesitant of someone doing it to me. its unlikely that they would since i practice my teep a lot more than others in my gym but theres always that one guy...

if i ever take a smoker, ill be sure to throw it out there.

I used to think it was shitty because my coach told me that Thai's found it disrespectful. Then I thought about it, realised I'm not Thai, now I'm good with it. It's Thai culture not Muay Thai. It's like the Wai's that get thrown around left right and center, if someone bows to me I'll return it, but I only ever initiate touching gloves or a hand shake.

I wouldn't throw it in sparring because I think its a risky move, where you can hurt somebody by accident too easy. if your leg comes up at the same time somebody moves in, you can't really pull your strike. If somebody got pissed by it I wouldnt do it to them, personal preference though.

I use it occasionally vs a bull rush opponent. More of a push kick with my weight back. If you're sparring, don't force it hard, better applied as a pushkick to stop their forward momentum.
Be gentle until it contacts then push, it will take most of the potential force out of it. Think right cross vs one inch punch power.

I used to think it was shitty because my coach told me that Thai's found it disrespectful. Then I thought about it, realised I'm not Thai, now I'm good with it. It's Thai culture not Muay Thai. It's like the Wai's that get thrown around left right and center, if someone bows to me I'll return it, but I only ever initiate touching gloves or a hand shake.

I wouldn't throw it in sparring because I think its a risky move, where you can hurt somebody by accident too easy. if your leg comes up at the same time somebody moves in, you can't really pull your strike. If somebody got pissed by it I wouldnt do it to them, personal preference though.

would be fine i suppose if both of you were wearing facesaver headgear in sparring. doesnt ever seem to happen in MT so i guess ill continue to practice on heavybags and whatnot.

i dont see the teep to the thigh as that big of an issue (especially in MT with the weight distribution). to the kneecap is something i wont do in sparring though ive had people do little stop kicks to the insides of my knees...could see it being an issue if someone has bad knees but is just annoying otherwise. not sure teeping the kneecap is even allowed in amateur fights in California but im almost certain its legal in the pros (at least in MMA).

would be fine i suppose if both of you were wearing facesaver headgear in sparring. doesnt ever seem to happen in MT so i guess ill continue to practice on heavybags and whatnot.

i dont see the teep to the thigh as that big of an issue (especially in MT with the weight distribution). to the kneecap is something i wont do in sparring though ive had people do little stop kicks to the insides of my knees...could see it being an issue if someone has bad knees but is just annoying otherwise. not sure teeping the kneecap is even allowed in amateur fights in California but im almost certain its legal in the pros (at least in MMA).

yeah i wanted to make sure, cause i dont ever kick or teep at the knees. So i wanted to make sure if teeping the thighs safe. I dont ever have intentions of hurting a sparring partner or even a fight. teeping at knees is most def legal in pro fights, ive seen jones do it many times and he does it more of a side kick to the knees. Personally i think its dirty, but ive seen anderson do is as well.

As Diaz once said in an interview, "Anyone whos really going out there with the intentions to hurt someone has some real problems".

I know this is an OLD reference, but Royce used to front kick the thigh/knee to find range/set-up TDs.

If someone does that counter in the video and brings their stance narrow or gets a bit off balance, they leave themselves open for the takedown.

I don't use them because joint strikes are banned in sparring and comps for us and I don't really see the need to do it to the thigh. Rather just inside shin kick or sidekick the body.

Back