foot jabbing the thigh?

PsychoTic415

Orange Belt
Reaction score
so ive seen alot of muay thai fighters who foot jab at the thigh, and i was wondering if it would be dangerous to do that?

Me personally i don't like to foot jab people at the knees or anything near the legs, because im not trying to hurt them permanently or hurt them at all. Ive seen jones and couple other fighters who usually side foot jab to the knees and i think that's just dirty in my opinion.

My point is i wanted to ask you guys, because i wanted to make sure if it was a good technique to use without hurting the person. Mainly used to distant the opponent away.

Thanks

Meh, i get leg jabbed in the knee more than a few times and it is fine for me. Then again i use a weight back stance, so i don't really buckle like other fighters who put their weight on the front knee. Its' dangerousness and "dirtiness" is overblown. But to answer your question yes it is a legit technique, and afaik not dangerous.

Thigh teeps are great tools, it allows you to probe without over exposing yourself. The outside of the typical touching of the thigh the best time to use a stiff thigh teep is obviously when they're shifting their weight to the target leg. So if you're quick enough and see the attack early enough...that's the best time to do it if you're trying to off balance the other guy.

i used think it was dirty (teeps to the knee, not thighs) but have had it done to me in sparring in both spots. i still dont teep the knees head on but will teep the thigh above the knee.

have actually been trying to land with my heel instead of the ball of the foot so it hits heavier.

may be pretty dangerous for a front foot heavy boxer though...

I've teeped a million thighs and I've had my thigh teeped a million times. Everyone is still alive... well, as far as I know.

thanks guys i appreciate it. I respect the art, and opponents as well. I would never try to intentionally hurt them permanently. Thanks for the info/advice again guys

thanks guys i appreciate it. I respect the art, and opponents as well. I would never try to intentionally hurt them permanently. Thanks for the info/advice again guys

just curious...do guys in your gym ever teep to the face in sparring?

no never. kru would get pissed. Plus if that happened to myself, i would too. Just like the thai's i believe its very disrespectful.

actually i take that back. i can't say no never. Ive been teeped to the face, and i couldnt let loose for a sec. I think some people have done it, and either their really tryna get the person wit the kick or they just dont know its disrespectful.

I've teeped a million thighs and I've had my thigh teeped a million times. Everyone is still alive... well, as far as I know.

Ya know...if the word teep was slang for some sexual act...you'd be the man!

Hip or upper thigh is a good way to disrupt guys that favour flurrying in with their hands. Too low too often and guys will start bumping their knee up to smash your toes.
I refuse to get going again about people who stamp at knees at anything less than world title fights!

Teeping the face, I would never do it in sparring. But I've changed my oppinion recently, I'd not to a guy from a culture that found it disrespectful (Thai, Middle Easten, etc), but a westerner, sure why not.

I love teeping the thigh I throw if their half arsing their low kick I.e just teep the inside of the knee as they pivot and eat the kick it's a nice easy way to put them off kicking you their leg buckles just slightly and it feels horrible. Or if they straighten their front leg too much push their knee with your foot so their leg snaps straight and jarrs now don't do it as a strike your not trying to blow out their knee just make them bend it again and what usually happens is that they put a fair bit of weight on it to test it or whatever and you cut their leg off with a low kick.

Ps sorry for the shitty explanation of that it's difficult to write something you do.

Yup, it's not a douchebag/dirty move.
Elbow in a clinch while light sparring. Major douche.

Damn, well then I'm a douche. I'll throw out an elbow on occasion while doing clinch and sparring. But I pull it and don't make contact really. Or I'll use it on the body or arms. I don't generally let others do it in sparring (like 2 group guys) unt I know they're versed and have a level of control.

''But I pull it and don't make contact really''

If it doesn't hit, it's not a strike.
So you're not a douchebag :)

I do something similar, I just deposit my forearm of people's head and press to let them know i've found an oppenning.

Teeping the face, I would never do it in sparring. But I've changed my oppinion recently, I'd not to a guy from a culture that found it disrespectful (Thai, Middle Easten, etc), but a westerner, sure why not.

hmm...i guess the main reason i dont do it in sparring is because im a bit hesitant of someone doing it to me. its unlikely that they would since i practice my teep a lot more than others in my gym but theres always that one guy...

if i ever take a smoker, ill be sure to throw it out there.

Back