Foot injury in Muay Thai

cc85

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i've recently been having some trouble with my foot. During sparring when i throw a kick, if my opponent moves back or I dont throw my kick from the proper distance, it lands with my foot and EVERYTIME i land a kick with my foot, my foot is useless for the next 5 minutes. If i land hard enough my foot is out for a month and during this time if i give a kick or two on the bag it wil start hurting so i have to take time of to recover it.

This is really bothering me and I wanted to know if this is common to injure your foot like this or have i messed up my foot and need to get it checked? This really sucks because now i am cautious when throwing kicks in sparring and can't spar like i normaly used to because of fear of fcking up my foot.

Also any advice on how to avoid these injuries would be great too. Thanks.

I injured my instep sparring once also. My distance was wrong and I hit my trainers elbow. It hurt like a mofo for about a month. I could not kick with it or bend it too far. Went and got it looked at and discovered that I had a hairline fracture. Took me out of training for about two months. Even after it healed, I still could not kick with it do to the pain for about six months.

Go get it checked out.

Shit happens -- injuries like this are generally tough to avoid. People -- especially people who are not well-versed in defense -- tend to move backwards, so the opportunity to wreck your foot like that always exists.

I can't tell you how many times I've injured my foot in the last six years, but I don't think it's ever kept me out for an entire month. You should definitely get that looked at.

Eh, I don't think it's necessary to have it looked at.

I recognize myself in what you're saying, cc85. I've been in the same situation as cali_chute_boxe - full force kick with the instep hitting an elbow. It hurt like a bitch, put me out of comission for a week, and made me tentative to engage for some time.

While out, I read up on the subject and asked around - general concensus was that even if you have your foot checked out, and it's determined that you have a hairline fracture, there isn't much a doctor can do. There's generally poor circulation around bony areas like your hands and feet, and recovery is slow. Nothing you can do but give your foot some slack.

This happened to me a lot before. Now I measure with my lead hand, just a slight touch before I kick. I know if I can't touch the person with my left hand (even on the move) I won't land the kick with the part of my shin that I want to

Learn how to kick with your foot. Learning how to kick properly with your instep is a must if you want to prevent or reduce the chance of injuries to your foot.

Learn how to kick with your foot. Learning how to kick properly with your instep is a must if you want to prevent or reduce the chance of injuries to your foot.

What the hell? He's training Muay Thai, not Shotokan. I'm having serious doubts that a missed roundhouse can be turned into a good instep kick in a split second.

This happened to me a lot before. Now I measure with my lead hand, just a slight touch before I kick. I know if I can't touch the person with my left hand (even on the move) I won't land the kick with the part of my shin that I want to

Around here we call that a "telegraph". The message it transmits is "Kick my support leg now, and watch me fall down."

Gauge the distance with your eyes, not your hand. It's a lot safer.

Hit with your shin.... it's getting your range and timing down. Take some time to gauge your opponent. Don't just go into sparring throwing meaningless strikes. Make sparring purposeful.

Last edited:
Around here we call that a "telegraph". The message it transmits is "Kick my support leg now, and watch me fall down."

Around here its called a 'set-up' where i touch u with my hand then kick you. Do that a couple of times then instead of the the kick u get a right......hopefully right when u think "GOTCHA!" and have your leg midair.

:)

I've had that happen countless times, having my distance off a couple inches and then getting my foot jacked up. Definitely get it checked like cali chute boxe said and ice it of course.

Also, just don't use it anymore. I know it can be tough to take a whole weapon away, but if you keep using it, you're slowing down the healing process. No matter how careful I am with an injury, if I keep using it (even lightly) I still somehow manage to aggravate it more and make it worse. Plus it'll give you time to make your other kick that much better since you'll just be using the one. Atleast with me anyways.

Train smart and hope it gets better! Shin/foot injuries suck!

Originally Posted by Cannon_6

Um, no. Obviously you won't use it all the time. What I means is this:

Around here its called a 'set-up' where i touch u with my hand then kick you. Do that a couple of times then instead of the the kick u get a right......hopefully right when u think "GOTCHA!" and have your leg midair.

Exactly

What the hell? He's training Muay Thai, not Shotokan. I'm having serious doubts that a missed roundhouse can be turned into a good instep kick in a split second.

I trained MT before I started with Shotokan. When I started in MT we were taught how to properly kick with our instep before we were taught to kick with the shin. In my 3 years at the gym only one guy injured his foot. And turning a shin kick into a instep kick? Practice, practice, practice.

Funny post, but I'm skeptical. sfortune85 said he does it to avoid hurting himself.

This can definelty suck in sparring since distances change so much, so quickly. One thing you can do to prevent injury during sparring (aside from wearing better protective equipment, if that is an option), is to throw lighter kicks. Just tap your leg out, its safer for you and ur partner

Funny post, but I'm skeptical. sfortune85 said he does it to avoid hurting himself.

Well not so much to not hurt myself. After 3 years of repeatedly banging up my foot and instep, it doesn't hurt as much (usually it'll suck for a round or two, tops) when I catch the occasional elbow, hip bone, etc. But It's helpful if you're having trouble gauging your distance. Plus I like to use a lot of stiff arms and pushes. So It may look like touch, touch, low kick, touch, touch, push, low kick, touch, touch, superman punch

Get your range and timing down... don't just throw leg kicks by itself, mix it up with punches.

Wear ankle guard.

And stop taking sparring so seriously... damnit... That's how people get hurt. Throw lighter kicks and work on technique. You and your sparring partner are on the SAME TEAM.

I'm really glad I took Shotokan Karate before I did Muay Thai. It really helps when I'm out of range of a shin kick and end up hitting with my instep.

My advice would be when you are doing pad work, hit with your instep occasionally in order to toughen it up.

Also, if you are having a lot of problems with your foot, I'd go see a Doctor. You might have broken it and the bones didn't heal in the right position.

You could try doubling up on a pair of ankle supports that will cover part of your foot. They won't give you a ton of padding, but it will lessen the impact from bone on bone conact.

TW-AG-BLACK-front.jpg

i was just gonna post the same topic. I had an exibition match on june, and I was limping on my foot right after. Until this day it's still healing and painful

This is due to technique, range and distance. Learn to kick with your shin as well and this is something I'm also working on w/ the bag and sparring.

Back