Foot injury in Muay Thai

Though I wanted to asks, do kickboxers usually have foot injuries since they tend to kick with the foot?

You could try doubling up on a pair of ankle supports that will cover part of your foot. They won't give you a ton of padding, but it will lessen the impact from bone on bone conact.

TW-AG-BLACK-front.jpg

This idea will not help if you hit your partners elbow square on the top of your instep.

Though I wanted to asks, do kickboxers usually have foot injuries since they tend to kick with the foot?
Well here in Australia most kickboxing is Mauy Thai based so they land
make inpact with the shin.

The way your foot is flexed in a MT round house causes the bones in your to move away causing spaces in your foot for the bones to bend into, which causes injury to your foot. The way your foot is flexed when you kick with your instep causes the bones in your foot to move closer to each other supporting the bones. Injuries to your foot in KB is rarer than in MT but it does happen. My dojo competes in WSF shotokan (full contact), knockdown karate and KB, and we had only one foot injury thus far this year, one of our black belts kicked his opponent on the back of the head and broke his toe.

The way your foot is flexed in a MT round house causes the bones in your to move away causing spaces in your foot for the bones to bend into, which causes injury to your foot. The way your foot is flexed when you kick with your instep causes the bones in your foot to move closer to each other supporting the bones.
I don't understand. Please elaborate.

I don't understand. Please elaborate.

When you kick with your shin, your shin and foot's sole are perpendicular to each other. This means your foot is relaxed, try punching with a relaxed fist and not injure your hand. When you kick with your instep you curl your toes towards your heal, this flexes your foot, like clenching you fist flexes your hand. Hope this explains it.

When you kick with your shin, your shin and foot's sole are perpendicular to each other. This means your foot is relaxed, try punching with a relaxed fist and not injure your hand. When you kick with your instep you curl your toes towards your heal, this flexes your foot, like clenching you fist flexes your hand. Hope this explains it.

so your saying flex the foot or don't flex the foot when you kick?

so your saying flex the foot or don't flex the foot when you kick?

If you see you are going to land with your instep flex, otherwise keep it relaxed. If you flex your foot and land with your shin you can break your shin. And a word of warning: the first time you hit a shin with your instep it is gonna hurt like a motherfucker so condition it first.

This is a false premise.

Supposed to be if proper technique is utilised. If the sole of your foot is not perpendicular to (or there about) your shin, you can injure or break your shin, depending on the angle of your foot.

wow...old thread but it seems to have some misinformation in it.

Learn how to kick with your foot. Learning how to kick properly with your instep is a must if you want to prevent or reduce the chance of injuries to your foot.

why would he need to learn how to do that? he's doing Muay Thai.

I trained MT before I started with Shotokan. When I started in MT we were taught how to properly kick with our instep before we were taught to kick with the shin. In my 3 years at the gym only one guy injured his foot. And turning a shin kick into a instep kick? Practice, practice, practice.

my Krus have all been Thai. not one of them has ever told/taught me to kick with the instep...in fact, quite the opposite.

perhaps you werent learning authentic Muay Thai to begin with...

If you see you are going to land with your instep flex, otherwise keep it relaxed. If you flex your foot and land with your shin you can break your shin. And a word of warning: the first time you hit a shin with your instep it is gonna hurt like a motherfucker so condition it first.

Supposed to be if proper technique is utilised. If the sole of your foot is not perpendicular to (or there about) your shin, you can injure or break your shin, depending on the angle of your foot.

where are you getting your info from? here are some pics of some well known MT fighters kicking. seems to me that theyre not kicking with their foot in the right position according to you...

2305-Buakaw-Dragoweb.jpg

yod_andy.jpg

Saenchai-Sor-Kingstar-vs-Tetsuya-Yamato5.jpg

I don't mean to revive an old thread but as the pictures above shows, flex the foot or don't? Which one is it?

Sorry dude..kicking at improper ranges and injuring your feet are part of the Muay Thai leaning process :) there is no easy answer other than to keep training to learn ranges better

I don't mean to revive an old thread but as the pictures above shows, flex the foot or don't? Which one is it?

lol...is that unflexed or not? either way, thats how i usually kick (toes pointing to the side of the target instead of at the target when the shin hits).

i cant imagine kicking with your foot shaped like an L all the time. imagine if you...misjudge distance and land with your toes first on their kneecap, shin or something. :eek:

i know some (Kyokushin?) guys like Semmy Schilt land with the ball of their foot instead of the shin but im guessing you pick up some broken toes along the way to perfecting that technique.

It's right that you condition your instep by kicking with it. I fractured mine on an elbow, hurts but comes back stronger. IME.

Gives extra range, you rarely see head kicks with a shin.

Point the toes. Relaxes your tibialis anterior (muscle along the front of the shin) meaning that it's easier to actually contact with your shin, as opposed to the muscle.

i know some (Kyokushin?) guys like Semmy Schilt land with the ball of their foot instead of the shin but im guessing you pick up some broken toes along the way to perfecting that technique.

(Semmy is ashihara -a kyokushin offshoot).
Knockdown karate (kyokushin, Ashihara, Shidokan etc etc) guys mix kicking with the shin, with the ball of the foot or with the instep -depending on what best suits the situation and range. Its not that dangerous, but you need to train it or you WILL hurt yourself. Actually, kicking with the ball of the foot is less dangerous than doing so with the instep, and breaking toes that way is not really a problem. But it is also harder to hit good.
A few (very few) karate guys kicks with the point of the toes (vs the body. not that often to the head). That is effective if you can do it, but the risk of breaking a toe is high.

don't go 100%. It's only sparring

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back