Foot Getting STuck Passing Half Guard

try getting double undrhooks than cut across pass from there

Switch your hips and shin cut. Either get a far side underhook and pass from there, or (if you can't get the underhook) stand up with your hands on your opponent's hips to prevent him from re-half guarding you, and cut from there.

Switch your hips and shin cut. Either get a far side underhook and pass from there, or (if you can't get the underhook) stand up with your hands on your opponent's hips to prevent him from re-half guarding you, and cut from there.

basically what I mean, but you worded it better

i like to press my knee to the mat on the opposite side, rather than pull my leg out towards me.

when you get there, your foot is still stuck between their legs, but you're almost in full mount. then you get an underhook on the side of your caught foot and use the hand on that underhook to bring their arm really high, while putting a lot of pressure on their face with the crossface. that way, you straighten them out and flatten them to their back. from there, use your free foot to push off of their thigh and take full mount.

i'll see if i can find a video, i know i have a good explanation somewhere.

edit: not exactly the pass you have in your video, but a very similar situation and very simple concepts of passing. dan does a much better job of explaining how to get the foot out when the halfguard is basically wrecked but they're holding on for dear life:

edit 2: crap, maybe i'm lying. maybe he doesn't show the "quarter guard" pass in this one. still, watch the video. you'll smash halfguards with this.

Last edited:
i like to press my knee to the mat on the opposite side, rather than pull my leg out towards me.

when you get there, your foot is still stuck between their legs, but you're almost in full mount. then you get an underhook on the side of your caught foot and use the hand on that underhook to bring their arm really high, while putting a lot of pressure on their face with the crossface. that way, you straighten them out and flatten them to their back. from there, use your free foot to push off of their thigh and take full mount.

i'll see if i can find a video, i know i have a good explanation somewhere.

edit: not exactly the pass you have in your video, but a very similar situation and very simple concepts of passing. dan does a much better job of explaining how to get the foot out when the halfguard is basically wrecked but they're holding on for dear life:

This is what I do too. In fact, if your foot is barely trapped you can swing your free leg over them and slide out into side control. I learned that from Marcelo Garcia.

Great advice, I had the same problem as the TS and I started doing exactly this a few months ago and now I can pass the half guard with a lot less frustration.

Cavaca just recently showed us a half guard knee-slide pass that I've been using with GREAT results.

After you secure the far side underhook, switch your head to the other side (side your passing to). Now, progress your underhook a bit so that it's under the neck and use these as a base to start getting your hips way UP. As you start your slide through, move your opponent's head the opposite direction of the pass.

It is brutal to feel from the bottom, but is VERY effective.

Great advice, I had the same problem as the TS and I started doing exactly this a few months ago and now I can pass the half guard with a lot less frustration.

so you're saying your foot gets caught, then you shin cut to the opposite side? the side your head wasn't on to begin with?

Right foot trapped, left shin to hips, hold their legs, pull foot out.

You can actually get a back take from that position.

Check this out.
This calf slicer video shows the technique at the end. Just do the back take variation rather than the calf slicer.

It looks complicated but its just a shoulder roll. Just do what he says in the video and you'll be on the other guys back with a seatbelt grip.

so you're saying your foot gets caught, then you shin cut to the opposite side? the side your head wasn't on to begin with?

You cut to the side your body is on. Is that what you are asking?

1. Get/maintain the farside underhook, cut back across to their nearside with your trapped knee to side control.
2. Get/maintain the farside underhook and walk their arm up their head, then continue to walk their torso to your near side with the underhook. Creates a lot of pressure on them to allow you to free your foot.
3. Get the nearside underhook and cut across with the knee of the leg that isn't caught. Caught foot will come free as you bring your other knee through the pocket and settle into side control.
4. With both knees touching the ground in the "stuck" position, use the foot that isn't trapped on the top of their nearside thigh to pry your other foot free.

Back