Floyd Mayweather: McGregor and Rousey are proof racism still exists in combat sports.

What do you think about Mayweather's assessment of McGregor and Rousey's mainstream popularity?

• Total voters
Racism exists but that's not why people mainly don't like floyd. What a self absorbed tool.

Mayweather: McGregor and Rousey are proof racism still exists in combat sports
By Damon Martin

010416-UFC-Mayweather-McGregor-Rousey-SS-PI.vadapt.955.high.70.jpg

Floyd Mayweather unloaded on the amount of racism that he believes still happens in the sport of boxing, but brought his vitriol full circle and ended up aiming it directly at UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor and former women's champion Ronda Rousey.

Mayweather's rant started when referencing undefeated super middleweight champion Andre Ward and how he's not getting the respect he deserves in the mythical pound-for-pound rankings. Part of Mayweather's claim about Ward and the treatment other fighters have received is just further proof in his opinion that "racism still exists in the sport of boxing."

Mayweather then turned his attention towards McGregor, who he says he had never heard of before a member of his entourage mentioned him recently and how the Irishman is one of the loudest and most outspoken fighters in all of combat sports.

"They say (McGregor) talks a lot of trash and people praise him for it, but when I did it, they say I'm cocky and arrogant," Mayweather told Fight Hype. "So biased! Like I said before, all I'm saying is this, I ain't racist at all, but I'm telling you racism still exists."

McGregor has actually been routinely criticized by many of his peers for some of the more outlandish statements he's made over the years. Former middleweight champion Anderson Silva said in 2015 that "cocky'' fighters like McGregor have to be careful not to "cross the line" with their trash talk.

In many ways, McGregor picked up the baton and started running his own show while Mayweather was coming to the end of his historic career with both fighters earning a mountain of money and more than smattering of criticism from writers, reporters and fellow athletes.

Mayweather also took aim at former women's champion Ronda Rousey when comparing her exploits both inside and outside the cage when compared to former women's boxing champion Laila Ali.

Mayweather claims that Ali didn't enjoy a fraction of the praise or the endorsements that Rousey received after doing less — and less impressively — than what Ali did in her career.

"Ronda Rousey, you know, I think she fought somewhere like 11 or 12 fights, which is not a bad thing," Mayweather added. "Laila Ali went undefeated and was dominating too. After Ronda Rousey fought I think 9, 10, 11 fights, it didn't even take that long, she got all types of endorsements, movies, and everything.

"Laila Ali did the same thing in better fashion. Ronda Rousey, she's a good looking woman when she put it on. Laila Ali is a drop-dead gorgeous woman; I mean a naturally beautiful woman and can kick ass, but you never heard (the media) saying when she had I think somewhere around 10, 11, 12 fights that she was the baddest woman to ever fight on the planet."

Ali is definitely considered one of the best women's boxers of all time but unfortunately women's boxing never enjoyed the same kind of success or attention that the UFC women's division has received in recent years in large part thanks to Rousey.

Mayweather certainly isn't backing down from his claims, however, and says that like it or not, racism still exists in combat sports.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...y-proof-racism-exists-in-combat-sports-010516

I have to disagree with this, because I honestly believe Jon Jones could and would have been this big in time, if he had just not been such an utter train-wreck of a human being. He had it all, and he blew it on account of his own actions.

That is funny. I believe people who parrot this statement, are not only racist, but actually get a visceral thrill from seeing certain people oppressed, or exploited.
Good thing that's just what you believe and not real life

There is truth to what Mayweather is saying. Black fighters have a harder time getting promoted and getting paid. Just look at the treatment of Aljamain Sterling vs Sage Northcutt.
Mayweather thinks that he his hated because of racism. That may be a small factor, but he is hated because he is a terrible human being.
Sage has been a superstar since he was a kid with accolades so far beyond sterlings they aren't even in the same galaxy

Mayweather should talk more about it. I sure would love to see him preaching negatively about white people.

The public HATES Ronda, and McGregor doesn't beat or constantly cheat on his wife

makes 300 million for a shitty boxing fight

complains about racism

Says the highest paid athlete ever? Jon Jones was getting super popular until he derailed his own momentum.

This is what confuses me. He was hugely popular early on and became far and away the most popular fighter of his era in any combat sport. He made more money, broke more PPV records and had more people watch him on average than anyone else had in PPV history. Being black didn't stop him from becoming a crossover, mainstream star, becoming probably the richest boxer to ever fight, becoming a world wide recognised face and name and having an absolutely massive fan base. He chose to play the heel so he was always going to have a vocal group of non supporters who wanted to see him lose, but again, none of that stopped him reaching every possible goal he could have dreamed of.

He's a bigger star than either of those guys and neither of them, even on the same card, could ever reproduce the type of numbers of people that watched Floyd, so saying they became stars because 'racism' is fucking dumb as shit. I hate when this weak argument gets thrown around.

Race related threads are sure fire way to make a 10 page flame war.

"Pacquio is a yellow midget who should make me some sushi" -Mayweather

1. boxing is boring
2. floyd is a boring boxer
3. floyd hasn't finished a fight in 5 years
4. floyd fights women in his spare time, and still only wins on points

Obama got elected and that was a major triumph against racism. But look at all the racism against him over the course of his Presidency. If any thing Obama's Presidency proved that racism very much still exists.
And trump is getting 10x the backlash Obama ever got so that must prove that racism now exists against non colored people

Back