• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Law Florida gives school districts 48 hours to reverse mask mandates or lose funding

Sounds like a bold authoritarian move to me. Removing public funding from the education system has long term implications on children's learning of which the effects are compounding whereas a mask mandate just means they have to wear a mask which has little to no effect on the individual.

It's a compliance move that is solely about flex and not based on good governance.

But it isn’t based on good science..

Yeah I’m not cool with this, it’s just taking a page out of the authoritarian Democrat's playbook. The decision should be up to the schools, in my opinion.

However any Democrats calling this authoritarian, need to realize how hypocritical they are

Last edited:
man, america is weird as fuck.
i'm in an eastern euro shithole and everybody wears masks at work or school and doesn't make a fuss, and nobody wears a mask outside. it's not even a big deal.

Its mainly because we are less submissive than most cultures.
That may offend you, but its true. our culture is completely comprised of people who rebelled against their country for economic, political, or social reasons, and immigrated here. Black Americans also have a deeply rooted history of rebellion and distrust of the government. Pretty much every American regardless of culture or race has a distrust of government in some form.

rebellion is embedded in our culture

Masks are more dangerous than COVID. Seriously bottom of the barrel thinking. Perhaps if you’ve been using the same one since feb 2020.

I don’t agree with this, but I do agree with more people flexing in school boards.

Too many boards members are self important pieces of shit who use their position to push their politics into the classroom and utterly ignore parents once they are elected.

Its mainly because we are less submissive than most cultures.
That may offend you, but its true. our culture is completely comprised of people who rebelled against their country for economic, political, or social reasons, and immigrated here. Black Americans also have a deeply rooted history of rebellion and distrust of the government. Pretty much every American regardless of culture or race has a distrust of government in some form.

rebellion is embedded in our culture
that sounds nice, but from afar it looks like americans submit to a lot of shit - corporations, brands, politicians, manipulative politics, groupthink..
maybe this "rebellion culture" is just something you are programmed to believe so you can buy whatever the politics side you are on tells you it's rebellious? don't wanna start nothing, just saying. most americans i know IRL are conformist as fuck. they are also wealthy so maybe that's why.

that sounds nice, but from afar it looks like americans submit to a lot of shit - corporations, brands, politicians, manipulative politics, groupthink..
maybe this "rebellion culture" is just something you are programmed to believe so you can buy whatever the politics side you are on tells you it's rebellious?
Nah. they rebel against the opposite party; here are two sides of government. and both sides think the opposing party is the authoritarian party.

Trust me. Americans are much more rebellious than any other culture. especially Europeans. (England is a close second). The genesis of our country spawned from rebelling against European authoritarians.

Last edited:
I hope anyone who thinks kids should wear masks don't have kids.

Kids can get infected and spread it.

Why the fuck do you think healthcare workers wear N95 masks???

They. Work.

I know that most people use shit masks, and that IS a problem, but GOOD masks SAVE LIVES.

Whyyy do some people (faaar right too many) think that wearing masks = taking away freedom?!?

This was as far as I made it. So only people on the far right are against mask mandates? If that's your opinion, it's more of a statement of where you fall on the political sphere than anything else.

This was as far as I made it. So only people on the far right are against mask mandates? If that's your opinion, it's more of a statement of where you fall on the political sphere than anything else.

It's mainly RED STATES that are acting the fool while getting BIG infection numbers, etc.

It's mainly RED THINKING that is the problem in terms of anti-vax and anti-masks.

DUH.

It's mainly RED STATES that are acting the fool while getting BIG infection numbers, etc.

It's mainly RED THINKING that is the problem in terms of anti-vax and anti-masks.

DUH.

Nobody is antivax, you idiot. Again, like always, this is Leftist Media narrative and not reality. If your position is that simply declining to wear a mask puts you on the far right, that may just be because you're so far out on the Left that the middle is so far away it looks like the far right to you.

Nobody is antivax, you idiot. Again, like always, this is Leftist Media narrative and not reality. If your position is that simply declining to wear a mask puts you on the far right, that may just be because you're so far out on the Left that the middle is so far away it looks like the far right to you.

looooooooooooooooool

Why did you just say that "nobody is anti-vax"?

What earth are you living on??

Are you in favor of schools being treated like this?

Whyyy do some people (faaar right too many) think that wearing masks = taking away freedom?!?

Florida gonna Florida.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-school-districts-48-hours-reverse-mask-mandates/story?id=79565155

Two Florida school districts that defied state rules and imposed mask mandates for students have been given 48 hours to reverse course or lose state funding equal to the salaries of their school board members.

In an order sent Friday to the districts in Alachua and Broward counties -- the first of five districts in the state to impose mask requirements this month -- the State Board of Education said that if they do not reverse their mandates in two days, the districts will have to provide Commissioner of Education Richard Corcoran the current salaries of each school board member.

The Florida Department of Education said it then will start gradually withholding state funds -- equal to 1/12 of the salaries of the board members, monthly -- "until each district demonstrates compliance," according to a statement.

The order prohibits the districts from letting the reduction of funds "impact student services or teacher pay" and requires them to report to the state any instance in which they enforce their "unlawful" mask mandate.

It's not legal what the governor is doing.

The state board kept open the possibility of additional sanctions.

student-school-tampa-florida-nc-jt-210805_1628211549241_hpEmbed_3x2_992.jpg

camera.svg
Ivy Ceballo/Tampa Bay Times via ZUMA Wire via Newscom
Students and their families fill out paperwork at a back to school health clinic at Middleton High S...
Friday's crackdown came after weeks of threats from the education department and Gov. Ron DeSantis' office, including an emergency meeting of the state board Tuesday in which the chair, Tom Grady, suggested that sanctions against Alachua and Broward could include removing school officials from their elected posts.

Leaders in both school districts told ABC News Friday that they will not reverse their mask mandates and will take legal action against the state.

"It's not legal what the governor is doing. We think he has overstepped his purview," said Dr. Rosalind Osgood, chair of the Broward County School Board.

ron-desantis-ap-jef-210809_1628531078216_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

camera.svg
Wilfredo Lee/AP
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis arrives at a news conference, Aug. 3, 2021, near the Shark Valley Visit...
"Based on the dramatic spike in cases and quarantines in our schools and community, we believe universal masking is absolutely critical to keeping schools open, protecting the health of our students and staff, and limiting the current strain on our local health care system," Dr. Carlee Simon, superintendent of Alachua County Public Schools, said in a statement.

Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona said on Friday he supported both districts, adding in a statement that President Joe Biden and his administration "stand with them and with all educators who put student and staff health and education first."

Neither district would definitively say whether they will take up the Biden administration's recent offer to let them use federal money to cover the withheld funds. Osgood said accepting the money would amount to "taking money away from education," emphasizing that "it's about the kids." Simon, meanwhile, noted in her statement that the Alachua County Commission has offered to make up the loss of funding.

The school districts in Miami-Dade, Hillsborough, and Palm Beach counties also voted this week to impose mask mandates for students. Brett Tubbs, a spokesperson for the state education department, told ABC News that "it has not been decided yet" whether the state will investigate those districts, though he said, "If we've already done it in the past, we will probably go that route again."
I dont get why you think schools forcing kids to wear masks all day is no big deal. Parents should have the choice. This kind of overreach is a slippery slope. This is America. Not China or Cuba.

I dont get why you think schools forcing kids to wear masks all day is no big deal. Parents should have the choice. This kind of overreach is a slippery slope. This is America. Not China or Cuba.

Parents are often too fucking stupid to do what is in the best interests of their kids.

FOR EXAMPLE...................................

Think of all the parents who ALLOW their kids to eat the TOXIC WASTE FROM SCHOOL CAFETERIAS............................................................................................

That's abuse.

BUT, you prob think ones diet is not a bid deal. I would not be surprised.

Parents are often too fucking stupid to do what is in the best interests of their kids.

FOR EXAMPLE...................................

Think of all the parents who ALLOW their kids to eat the TOXIC WASTE FROM SCHOOL CAFETERIAS............................................................................................

That's abuse.

BUT, you prob think ones diet is not a bid deal. I would not be surprised.
This kind of thinking is exactly the problem. It is not your job to parent someone elses child. You have no right and no authority to do so. We have something in America called freedom and it's very important. The idea that everyone must be forced to wear these masks all of the time is nonsense and your example of what we eat is a great comparison because if whatever tiny benefit their might be from masking is worth removing freedom of choice then why the hell dont we force everyone to eat better? Obesity is a much bigger problem than covid but I dont see all if you fascist dictators arguing to get rid of junk food and force everyone to be on healthy diets.

Back