• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Florida Commission Only Suspends Korean Zombie for 14 Days

Wait didn’t he retire after the match? 14 days should be good if he is serious about retirement.

He suffered several concussions? Is this your diagnosis, Doctor?
he didnt, he just wanted a way out. zombie called volk a disgraceful champion a couple years ago, when in reality americans, he was a disgraceful title challenger. volk made mince meat out of his face brutha, then smoked the meat on Cooking with Volk, YEAUHHHHHHHHHHH

Unless he has concussion symptoms post fight, everything is speculation. Not everyone receives concussions the same way from the same damage. Just because you got rocked doesn't mean you got a concussion. It's all in the symptoms after. No symptoms, no concussions.
So explain to me what's going on in this scenario then: Fighter A gets kicked in the head and rocked, their legs buckle and they stumble but stay on their feet. Medically, what is causing those symptoms if not a concussion?
What pro fighters are fighting after 15 days or 30 days realistically?
Bisping, Edgar, Tim Hague, etc. Plenty of fighters on the regional circuit in all combat sports (same commissions). I'm failing to see why you are opposed to making sure medical suspensions are longer than 2 weeks, which is insane for a concussion.
No symptoms, no concussion.
LOL absolutely not, my dude. You are quite literally and figuratively confusing symptoms for an injury.

American Medical Society for Sports Medicine: "Concussion is defined as a traumatically induced transient disturbance of brain function and involves a complex pathophysiological process. Concussion is a subset of mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI) which is generally self-limited and at the less-severe end of the brain injury spectrum."

Association of Ringside Physicians: "A subset of mild] traumatic brain injury induced by biomechanical forces"

American Association of Neurological Surgeons: "A concussion is an injury to the brain that results in temporary loss of normal brain function. Medically, it is defined as a clinical syndrome characterized by immediate and transient alteration in brain function, including alteration of mental status or level of consciousness, that results from mechanical force or trauma."

Notice the theme of all of these clinical definitions?
Which states? You are saying a lot of states, which ones specifically? A lot of states isn't very specific.
Nevada and California both use longer for 30 days depending on the bout, and that covers the plurality, if not the majority of mma bouts in the country. ARP recommends 60 days at least for a fight like KZ's, and they influence a lot of states for guidelines.

Wait didn’t he retire after the match? 14 days should be good if he is serious about retirement.
Going to give you a hint: Athletic commissions don't take into consideration retirement when issuing suspensions for very obvious reasons. Whether or not KZ retired has no bearing on their suspension decision post-fight.
he didnt, he just wanted a way out. zombie called volk a disgraceful champion a couple years ago, when in reality americans, he was a disgraceful title challenger. volk made mince meat out of his face brutha, then smoked the meat on Cooking with Volk, YEAUHHHHHHHHHHH
So you're arguing that KZ suffered no concussions or just one?

Going to give you a hint: Athletic commissions don't take into consideration retirement when issuing suspensions for very obvious reasons. Whether or not KZ retired has no bearing on their suspension decision post-fight.

So you're arguing that KZ suffered no concussions or just one?
im sayin KZ was playin games in the octagon because he wanted out like a Diaz brutha brutha. but he didnt want to quit like one. so he starts dancing around and spun himself out, really

How may concussions did Burns and Khamzat suffer? Both were rocked / dropped?
Being rocked is by definition a concussion any brain injury that causes you to lose normal brain function whether that be cognitive or control of your body is by definition a concussion. But in common vernacular when someone says concussion in regards to combat sports they typically mean a severe concussion.

im sayin KZ was playin games in the octagon because he wanted out like a Diaz brutha brutha. but he didnt want to quit like one. so he starts dancing around and spun himself out, really
Volk clearly hurt him multiple times. I think you're confusing not knowing how to win with not trying to win. He was in the fight and tried his best, just a horrid matchup for a past prime fighter.

The craziest people in the country come from the Bronx & Florida

So explain to me what's going on in this scenario then: Fighter A gets kicked in the head and rocked, their legs buckle and they stumble but stay on their feet. Medically, what is causing those symptoms if not a concussion?

Bisping, Edgar, Tim Hague, etc. Plenty of fighters on the regional circuit in all combat sports (same commissions). I'm failing to see why you are opposed to making sure medical suspensions are longer than 2 weeks, which is insane for a concussion.

LOL absolutely not, my dude. You are quite literally and figuratively confusing symptoms for an injury.

American Medical Society for Sports Medicine: "Concussion is defined as a traumatically induced transient disturbance of brain function and involves a complex pathophysiological process. Concussion is a subset of mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI) which is generally self-limited and at the less-severe end of the brain injury spectrum."

Association of Ringside Physicians: "A subset of mild] traumatic brain injury induced by biomechanical forces"

American Association of Neurological Surgeons: "A concussion is an injury to the brain that results in temporary loss of normal brain function. Medically, it is defined as a clinical syndrome characterized by immediate and transient alteration in brain function, including alteration of mental status or level of consciousness, that results from mechanical force or trauma."

Notice the theme of all of these clinical definitions?

Nevada and California both use longer for 30 days depending on the bout, and that covers the plurality, if not the majority of mma bouts in the country. ARP recommends 60 days at least for a fight like KZ's, and they influence a lot of states for guidelines.
That's what happens in the fight. You think every fighter that gets rocked has a concussion? That's not how it works. You go to the hospital right now with no symptoms and see what they tell you. Don't focus on the textbook definition, step into a hospital and they are looking for symptoms. Those definitions weren't for in fight definitions. Even if it was a concussion or a knockout the medical suspension is 30 days only across the board. Like I said where are the 90 day suspensions you are referring to? I've never seen them for anything other than fractures/breaks, because that is the healing time required for the bones to heal. Concussions are temp, it's like bruising, they recover quickly. The real way to see if you have a concussion is if you have concussion symptoms. If you don't you are fine.

You must not train, fight, or spar - fighters know when they have concussions and when they don't. It's pretty clear when you have a concussion. There's no speculation about it.

Being rocked is by definition a concussion any brain injury that causes you to lose normal brain function whether that be cognitive or control of your body is by definition a concussion. But in common vernacular when someone says concussion in regards to combat sports they typically mean a severe concussion.
I agree with you on the first part. The second part is absolutely silly. A concussion is a concussion, it's only an issue in combat sports of how bad the concussion is. And fans should know better by now, but they prefer to just be purposefully ignorant at this point. It's a shame. They are in for a rude awakening down the road when the post retirement health problems really start coming in.

I agree with you on the first part. The second part is absolutely silly. A concussion is a concussion, it's only an issue in combat sports of how bad the concussion is. And fans should know better by now, but they prefer to just be purposefully ignorant at this point. It's a shame. They are in for a rude awakening down the road when the post retirement health problems really start coming in.
I said in common vernacular; as in what the common person says. But no it's not only an issue in combat sports; when the NFL does concussion protocol they are only checking for severe concussions. And no a concussion is not a concussion; that's like saying a contusion is a contusion; whether it is a minor bruise or internal bleeding. If you are sparring and see stars for a fraction of a second that is a concussion and so is a major brain injury. So a concussion is not a concussion.

Last edited:
The fact that sherdoggers are arguing that KZ wasn't concussed is the best part of this thread. Like you'd have to have an IQ below 80 to even consider that.

You think every fighter that gets rocked has a concussion?
Yes
That's not how it works.
That literally is how it works lol.
You go to the hospital right now with no symptoms and see what they tell you.
They'd ask me why I'm wasting their time asking if I have a concussion with no symptoms and having received no head trauma.
Those definitions weren't for in fight definitions.
A person's occupation doesn't magically change the definition of a concussion lol. That is so just ass backwards, wrong.
Concussions are temp, it's like bruising, they recover quickly.
They can, but far less so than you think, which is quite concerning given you are in the medical field. What's your career there?
The real way to see if you have a concussion is if you have concussion symptoms. If you don't you are fine.
The actual best diagnosis would be protein production, it's just not practical to test every fighter for it. Concussions are notoriously underdiagnosed.
You must not train, fight, or spar - fighters know when they have concussions and when they don't. It's pretty clear when you have a concussion. There's no speculation about it.
It's quite clear many fighters don't understand brain trauma and education is very lacking on the matter. As evidenced, no offense, but you objectively not knowing what a concussion is.
ike I said where are the 90 day suspensions you are referring to?
I don't have a comprehensive list for obvious reasons, but Priscila Cachoeira, Jonathan MArtinez, Amanda Lemos all received longer suspensions for hard fights. That's verbatim what that suspension is.

I said in common vernacular; as in what the common person says. But no it's not only an issue in combat sports; when the NFL does concussion protocol they are only checking for severe concussions.
Well yeah, but we're on sherdog, why would I address NFL fans here?
And no a concussion is not a concussion
You are literally completely wrong here. A concussion, by definition, is a concussion. That's why there varying grades of concussions based on how severe they are.
If you are sparring and see stars for a fraction of a second that is a concussion and so is a major brain injury. So a concussion is not a concussion.
If that isn't a concussion, what is it then? Give me the actual medical term for what you think you're describing. You're literally describing a textbook symptom of concussions.

The fact that sherdoggers are arguing that KZ wasn't concussed is the best part of this thread. Like you'd have to have an IQ below 80 to even consider that.
It's both horrifying and humorous that all these people's definitions of concussions appear to boil down to "I know it when I see it." Like...what the fuck do these people think is happening when a strike causes a fighter to lose control of their nervous system lol.

Well yeah, but we're on sherdog, why would I address NFL fans here?

You are literally completely wrong here. A concussion, by definition, is a concussion. That's why there varying grades of concussions based on how severe they are.

If that isn't a concussion, what is it then? Give me the actual medical term for what you think you're describing. You're literally describing a textbook symptom of concussions.
Yes it's technically a concussion which I said all along; but saying a concussion is a concussion implies all concussions are similar; and they are not. Seeing stars is nothing, it happens all the time in sparring. Being knocked out is a completely different level of injury. Like I said a minor bruise on the skin is a contusion, a brain contusion or contusion to an organ leading to internal bleeding are also contusions. But in no way do they compare.

Yes it's technically a concussion which I said all along; but saying a concussion is a concussion implies they are similar; and they are not. Seeing stars is nothing, it happens all the time in sparring. Being knocked out is a completely different level of injury. Like I said a minor bruise on the skin is a contusion, a brain contusion or contusion to an organ leading to internal bleeding are also contusions. But in no way do they compare.
Yes...which is why like most medical afflictions, there are varying grades. Would you call burning your hand to the point it blisters not a burn cuz it's not a third degree burn? That's terrible logic. If there is a misconception, clear it up, don't level down to the ignorance.
Seeing stars is nothing, it happens all the time in sparring.
Still waiting for you to tell me what seeing stars is, if not a concussion. That's literally what it is. Unless you think it's fighters daydreaming coincidentally right after having their brain rattled.

Call a spade a spade, I think you are projecting your own biases on concussions onto a pretty black and white issue.

Yes...which is why like most medical afflictions, there are varying grades. Would you call burning your hand to the point it blisters not a burn cuz it's not a third degree burn? That's terrible logic. If there is a misconception, clear it up, don't level down to the ignorance.

Still waiting for you to tell me what seeing stars is, if not a concussion. That's literally what it is. Unless you think it's fighters daydreaming coincidentally right after having their brain rattled.

Call a spade a spade, I think you are projecting your own biases on concussions onto a pretty black and white issue.
I literally said seeing stars is a concussion; I'm the one who brought it up and said it is a concussion. But is a serious, no it's not. As far as burns a sun burn is a burn; but no one says a "burn is a burn" when comparing sun burns and third degree burns.

Can you explain why Tim Hague, Frankie Edgar and Michael Bisping all took fights or sparred during their suspensions then? Clearly regulation is necessary as fighters are not educated enough, too tough for their own good, or too focused on short term over long term a lot of the time.
You're missing my point, You and I are on the same side. 100% there needs to be a regulation as fighters for decades have shown can't be trusted when it comes to their own health. The issue is that even with a month long suspension, comissions dont seem to follow through on the issue cause a lot of fighters end up training and getting back into sparring not too long after. Thats obv. where you and I agree on. Thats why comissions only have that much power. Unless they cooperate with the gym and force the trainers and coaches to suspend their athlete, not much is going to change. But to what level can you do that? Eventually fighters will have to take the necessary steps themselves or at least the people around them do. But you seem to be quite passionate and educated on the topic, what solutions would you present that are realistic? Because I'm all for making sure, fighters are healthy (as much as the sport will allow) when they hit retirement age.

Btw. I love how you're responding to every damn statement on here TS. Seeing your discussions on the definition of a concussion def. is entertaining. Shoutout to you my man. <RomeroSalute>

I literally said seeing stars is a concussion; I'm the one who brought it up and said it is a concussion. But is a serious, no it's not. As far as burns a sun burn is a burn; but no one says a "burn is a burn" when comparing sun burns and third degree burns.
Gotcha. Yeah, you're attaching tone that I'm not putting in my messages. All I'm saying is, hey, if something is a concussion, just say it's a concussion, and feel free to tack on how severe it is if that's what you want. That's the solution, not pretending a fighter getting rocked somehow isn't a concussion, as other people are doing in this thread.

Back