flexibility in jiu jitsu?

dutchmasterj3

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Guys, I'm not flexible at all. I can only touch the top of my ankles, not even the ground.

Plus I can't spread my legs open wide (not that I'm looking to spread them open for anyone). Just for closing people in to my guard.

Anyone know good stretches I can do to improve flexibliity specifically for my ground game?

I have certainly gotten a lot more flexible since taking jiu jitsu, but I still feel I need a lot more improvement.

You're in a lot of trouble. You must start slow. You sound like a big guy, probably stocky. I would sit with your legs in a V and gently rock toward each toe like you are trying to touch your chin to your toe. Do this about 15 times for each leg and then hold it as far as you can for one leg for 10 seconds, then the other leg. After you've down this, stay in this position. Keep one leg planted and stretch your groin by moving the other leg farther away and widening your V. Do it again.
Another good one is to kneel on one knee and keep one up. Push the knee that is down as far back as possible while leaning forward on the up knee.
Let me know how it goes.

Buy wider pants and that should do the trick for you.

google "pnf" stretching and "contract-relax" stretching. I'm too crusty at the moment to explain it, but these, IMO, are easlily the fastest way to improve flexibility.

he said "stocky"

my fleability sucks and it never gets better, sorry no good advice from me.
but the post above is a good one

Also, do a search on "stretching", "PNF" and "flexibility" in the Standup and Conditioning forum. There have been many many threads over there with more info.

If you are not cheap, buy "Relax into Stretch" by Pavel Tsatsouline or "Stretching Scientifically" by Tom Kurz. Both of them also have good videos. These books will teach you everything you need to know about stretching much better than anybody can explain here.

Lol, you've gotta be kidding me. Pavel Tsatsouline?! That guy is the biggest joke and scam artist I've ever seen in my life. Trust me when I say if it's not Sambo or Judo, don't take anything out of Russia seriously.

I got some great pdf. ebooks on stretching if you want them I'll email them to you.... hit me [email protected]

There are many different levels of stretching....static, active and dynamic you want to progress to dynamic and ultimately the more flexible you are the better you will be.

There are a lot of dangerous stretches in yoga. If you're purely looking for flexibility gains, try contract relax stretching. Trust me man, this is the shit when it comes to increasing flexibility. A partner is fantastic to help with these, but you can modify the exercises so they can be done solo.
The basic idea is that a muscle stretches further after it has contracted.
So after u have contracted the muscle, you can relax further into the stretch.
GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!

[QUOTE="Dangerous" Dan]Lol, you've gotta be kidding me. Pavel Tsatsouline?! That guy is the biggest joke and scam artist I've ever seen in my life. Trust me when I say if it's not Sambo or Judo, don't take anything out of Russia seriously.[/QUOTE]
Have you actually read the book I recommended?

I suggest you do. It's good.

[QUOTE="Dangerous" Dan]Trust me when I say if it's not Sambo or Judo, don't take anything out of Russia seriously.[/QUOTE]
Yea, what do the Russians know about Sport Science?
:rolleyes:

ClubberLange said:
There are a lot of dangerous stretches in yoga. If you're purely looking for flexibility gains, try contract relax stretching. Trust me man, this is the shit when it comes to increasing flexibility. A partner is fantastic to help with these, but you can modify the exercises so they can be done solo.
The basic idea is that a muscle stretches further after it has contracted.
So after u have contracted the muscle, you can relax further into the stretch.
GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!

DAngerous streatches ? are you kidding ?

Find one respected BJJ from brazil that says yoga is bad !!

Sauer , Ribeiro, are 2 well respected BJJ guys that stand by it

there are a lot of dangerous stretches.
My main point was that there are faster ways to improve flexibility than yoga, if that's what you're looking for

oh, and I never said it's bad. Just that some of the stretches from traditional yoga should be modified

faster isn't better .. becasue while you are doing it with yoga your strengthen teh small stabilizer muscles that will get passed over in other stretches and excersises ..

The classic human nature wanting a microwave solution .
but there is a reason roast tstes better from a crock pot , than a microwave

[QUOTE="Dangerous" Dan] don't take anything out of Russia seriously.[/QUOTE]

:eek:

Yoga is awesome, I just started 6 months ago and I can already feel the difference, and I stretch twice a day every day.

Back