flexibility in jiu jitsu?

You can't rush gaining flexibility. Well you can try, but then you're going to tear something, whether it's a muscle or ligament. Just spend maybe 10 minutes 3-4 days a week doing stretches and within a month you will see results, but don't expect to be surpassing the Chinese State Circus acrobats or contortionists any time soon. Do simple stretches before you start trying to do anything heavy duty, wait at least 6 months to a year depending on your current flexibility before attempting things like this.

dhanurasana-big.jpg

You should also notice yourself get a bit more toned.

Some basic yoga poses here > http://www.real-yoga.com/lesson1/

exactly....

only one thing more I would like to add it sounds stupid but I know naturally the reflex is to stop ...

But if you ain't breathing you ain't gaining anything breathe slog long and deep in and out...

* okay flame away *

Superbeast said:
You can't rush gaining flexibility. Well you can try, but then you're going to tear something, whether it's a muscle or ligament. Just spend maybe 10 minutes 3-4 days a week doing stretches and within a month you will see results, but don't expect to be surpassing the Chinese State Circus acrobats or contortionists any time soon.
You can't rush it, it's true, but there are faster and slower methods, and completely brain dead methods.

With the amount of shit surrounding flexibility training out there, I think the best thing is getting a good book (I recommended two in this thread), forgetting everything you know about stretching and starting from scratch.

The idea with proper stretching is not to stretch, it's to strengthen the muscles and connective tissue and teach them to relax. This way you achieve better results sooner, and it's safer. The whole concept of "stretching" is wrong. You don't stretch muscles, you teach them to relax.

dutchmasterj3 said:
Guys, I'm not flexible at all. I can only touch the top of my ankles, not even the ground.

Plus I can't spread my legs open wide (not that I'm looking to spread them open for anyone). Just for closing people in to my guard.

Anyone know good stretches I can do to improve flexibliity specifically for my ground game?

I have certainly gotten a lot more flexible since taking jiu jitsu, but I still feel I need a lot more improvement.

check out this online book:

http://www.impactmartialartsonline.com/tae_kwon_do/stretching/stretching_preface.html

most of what you need to know about stretching can be found there.
the chapter called "Working Toward the Splits" contains all leg stretches you need if to construct a leg stretch routine. add some hip stretches and upper body stretches to that and you are done.
some upper body stretches can be found here:

http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/index.php?itemid=159

Evil Eye Gouger said:
You can't rush it, it's true, but there are faster and slower methods, and completely brain dead methods.

With the amount of shit surrounding flexibility training out there, I think the best thing is getting a good book (I recommended two in this thread), forgetting everything you know about stretching and starting from scratch.

The idea with proper stretching is not to stretch, it's to strengthen the muscles and connective tissue and teach them to relax. This way you achieve better results sooner, and it's safer. The whole concept of "stretching" is wrong. You don't stretch muscles, you teach them to relax.

Would you consider those stretching machines to be brain dead? I can do the splits myself just from years of training, I don't get how an expensive piece of equipment is needed for that.

I have a couple of yoga books, one that is more a step by step guide to positions and one with a bit more on the breathing control and balance aspects of it all. You make good point that it's not about stretching yourself it's about strengthening the connective tissue. I have seen someone people injure themselves from just trying too hard to overstretch.

good info guys....gotta learn to relax those golgi tendon organs!!!!

Superbeast said:
Would you consider those stretching machines to be brain dead? I can do the splits myself just from years of training, I don't get how an expensive piece of equipment is needed for that.
I don't like stretching machines because they may not fit your body perfectly and may lead to injuries cause they are sometimes hard to control.

You can increase flexibility without any machines. Breathing and relaxing is really important.

listen to me ........STRETCH SLOWLY!!!!!
your muscles are in layers, the sloer you stretch, the more layers you "activate"
try stretching a little , breathe, try going a little longer, breathe , slowly try to go longer,
youll be amazed how flexible you really are one you stretch properly.
stretching , if done right , is a workout in itself. look at yoga and pilates, i had a freind come back from india after living with yogis, he was ripped !!! and they dont lift weights. i was sold.
half of my workout routine is hindu polymetric stuff, it works. hindu push ups is a great example. when he showed me i could barely do 3, now i do 20 no sweat. just do it slowly youll do more harm than good if you do it to quick.

Back