FLASHBACK - Pele Landi trashing Anderson Silva

Him losing to Matsui is still so disappointing.
No its wonderful. Thats what he fuckin gets for trying to paralyze him with elbows to the spine.

Anderson had a stubbornness about him when it came to guys he loved and respected. Any time a guy Anderson was fighting insulted his teammates or had previously defeated them, he would abandon his greatest strength and promise to avenge their loss by submitting them, as if it were a karate movie. Lmao.

He allowed Travis Lutter to get a takedown so he could submit him, because he wanted to avenge Pele's submission loss to Lutter. He also promised the Nogueira Brothers he would submit Chael in their first fight for insulting their black belt.

It's amazing he had the incredible run he had with a mindset like this. He's begged to lose so many times throughout that run and won in spectacular fashion nearly every time. A true testament to his greatness.
Ya that's an interesting fun fact, Anderson avenged at least 4 of Pele's losses that come to mind... there could be more.

Travis Lutter
Thales Leites
Carlos Newton
Lee Murray

Anderson would have destroyed this dude. He may have been hot shit in Vale Tudo but at the time of Anderson becoming champ he was getting KO'd by Jake Ellenberger.

Reactions: HHJ
Anderson would have destroyed this dude. He may have been hot shit in Vale Tudo but at the time of Anderson becoming champ he was getting KO'd by Jake Ellenberger.
I mean he sucked way before that. He was losing in the early 2000s all his Pride fights. Matsui is a can and that guy beat him by DECISION

I aint always been the biggest fan of Anderson Silva, but the guy is like a thousand times greater than Pele would ever be.

He lost to guys like Chonan and Takase early but then he got BETTER not worse.

I mean he sucked way before that. He was losing in the early 2000s all his Pride fights. Matsui is a can and that guy beat him by DECISION
He apparently beat Silva in Muay Thai back in the days but had they fought in MMA around the time of the video TS posted he would have gotten wrecked. For whatever reason his skills didn't translate past the early 2000s.

Reactions: HHJ
Pretty harsh sherbro, I never seen you trash a fighter in such a way, a bit surprising coming from you if I'm honest. There is no debate whether Anderson is a better and more accomplished mixed martial artist, but Pele was possibly the best fighter in the world in those mid weight classes during the late 90's. His record during that stretch was something like 13 and 2, and he was knocking out dudes like Matt Hughes and Pat Miletich... had a close decision with Chuck Liddell where he dropped him with a head kick, etc...

But yeah, he didn't have the longevity and probably didn't maintain the discipline later in his career.

He came before Wanderlei and Anderson. I think he lives in America now.

That was one of the all-time best Pride fights though. Very fun. And it probably could have been stopped when Pele landed that epic flying knee. Many refs would have.

He definitely has his fair share of losses, but I don't think "he sucks" is accurate. I mean c'mon...the guy has wins over 2 UFC champs: Hughes and Militech, took on and dropped Liddell, etc. He also, imo, should have won against Dave Menne, which would have been 3 UFC champs he beat.

LOL thank you for reminding me of that Anderson impression he does.

it sucks for him because when he was smashing people there was no organization to the sport and there were no weight classes. by the time all that came around he was washed. but to me he's the prototype of the kind of striker Brazil became famous for.

Pele was a wild man. His knees were nasty. Just a fun fighter from the early days of the sport. His fight with Newton was competitive, although ultimately he tapped out. He did catch Hughes' takedown attempt with a sick knee to the head, although that was way, way back. The real issue here is where exactly Pele touched you.

Pretty harsh sherbro, I never seen you trash a fighter in such a way, a bit surprising coming from you if I'm honest. There is no debate whether Anderson is a better and more accomplished mixed martial artist, but Pele was possibly the best fighter in the world in those mid weight classes during the late 90's. His record during that stretch was something like 13 and 2, and he was knocking out dudes like Matt Hughes and Pat Miletich... had a close decision with Chuck Liddell where he dropped him with a head kick, etc...

But yeah, he didn't have the longevity and probably didn't maintain the discipline later in his career.
Im sure he was good in his heyday and I have heard about his fights with hughes, Miletich and Chuck

But the fact of the matter is, dude goes to Japan and is gift wrapped what is essentially a tune up easy fight for him with Matsui, and wether its cos he's past his prime or took dude too lightly, the guy was able to survive his flying knee and take him down, and the dude starts raining down 12 to 6 elbows to the guys spine.

That's how fuckin afraid he was to lose to Daijiro Matsui of all people. I just dont got no respect for shit like that. Im really surprised they didnt just disqualify him then and there for that.

Even after that, after the match Matsui goes over to him and he barely acknowledges him. No apology, no respect. No nothing. Piece of shit

Just rooted him for him to lose every other fight I seen him in and got my wish.

Im sure he was good in his heyday and I have heard about his fights with hughes, Miletich and Chuck

But the fact of the matter is, dude goes to Japan and is gift wrapped what is essentially a tune up easy fight for him with Matsui, and wether its cos he's past his prime or took dude too lightly, the guy was able to survive his flying knee and take him down, and the dude starts raining down 12 to 6 elbows to the guys spine.

That's how fuckin afraid he was to lose to Daijiro Matsui of all people. I just dont got no respect for shit like that. Just rooted him for him to lose every other fight I seen him in and got my wish.
Ya we get it, you're not a fan. That said, the guy is a OG and to some extent a legend. No one here is calling him GOAT or anything like that, he was obviously very good for a while, and then he wasn't... to say he sucks is just being ridiculous, especially coming form a guy who will sit here and preach to me in defense of WMMA fighters whenever I point out their lack of skill.

Ya we get it, you're not a fan. That said, the guy is a OG and to some extent a legend. No one here is calling him GOAT or anything like that, he was obviously very good for a while, and then he wasn't... to say he sucks is just being ridiculous, especially coming form a guy who will sit here and preach to me how great WMMA fighters are whenever I say they suck.
He lost to Matsui. Valentina would beat Matsui bro.

Pele was a wild man. His knees were nasty. Just a fun fighter from the early days of the sport. His fight with Newton was competitive, although ultimately he tapped out. He did catch Hughes' takedown attempt with a sick knee to the head, although that was way, way back. The real issue here is where exactly Pele touched you.
He had some "Anderson vs. Weidman" moments. Where his goofing off cost him in fights.

Also, speaking of the similarities between Pele and Anderson, Pele actually snapped his leg throwing a leg kick first, before Anderson did.

He lost to Matsui. Valentina would beat Matsui bro.
You saying that is actually pretty disturbing to me because I wouldn't be totally surprised if some crazy part of you actually believes it.

Ya we get it, you're not a fan. That said, the guy is a OG and to some extent a legend. No one here is calling him GOAT or anything like that, he was obviously very good for a while, and then he wasn't... to say he sucks is just being ridiculous, especially coming form a guy who will sit here and preach to me in defense of WMMA fighters whenever I point out their lack of skill.
He was also just really funny:
20210414092043_12.JPG

He had so many funny moments. Vs. Patino they stopped fighting in the middle of the fight just to shit talk and have another staredown haha. He also stuffed a takedown from Patino and started humping his head lol.

Back