first wrestling match

Cameron

Purple Belt
Reaction score
on december 14 im going to have my first high school wrestling tournament. now i was just wondering what should i expect/prepair for and what are some tips thats i should work on. now ive been wrestling for about 1 month and doing some jj for about 2 months. im 5'9 and 128 pounds now any advice would be much appriciated.

i got a tournament on that day too for wrestling, except we just started this monday, so its barely 2 weeks preperation.

yeah i think i have it some where around there too. And i also have been only doing bjj for 2 months. And wrestling for 3 weeks. And the coach wants me to wrestle 103 in an ALL VARSITY Tournament. I feel a lot of pressure because everyone expects me to be great.

Guys relax, You will learn alot about yourselves . Just learn the moves coach is teaching you.
Work on one really good takedown for YOU and learn the stand up REALLY well!
Off time RUN RUN RUN!
When match day comes set a pace that the other guy cannot handle. IF you did your running your cardio should be up to par and you should be able to seperate yourself from your opponent late in the 2nd and 3rd periods.
For you lighter guys dont worry MOST of the time the other little guys are new too. Generally speaking guys between 103-119lbs are freshman and sophmores while the bigger guys on varsity tend to be juniors and seniors.
Ofcourse this is VERY general but it seems to shake down this way.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

i would say get your cardio up, start doing some HIIT or Tabata or something cause those matches are no joke, so work on your cardio and focus on like 3 or 4 moves and stuff, i wish you luck.

Oh and for the BJJ crosstrainers, If you wanna use a lil wrestling suring BJJ TRY not to get caught in guard..Do your best to take top during free grappling and work on sidecontrol and mount. Instead of going RIGHT for a sub from there try to hold them there a little bit to see how well you are doing at pinning.
But dont get your BJJ coach pissed at yoy! LOL

well thats shity about the pressure thing man hope that works out for ya. but who cares if your not "great" like its all varsity the only pressure you should feel is from your self. like im puting alot of pressure on my self because i want to be pro in mma one day so this is one of the steping stones so i want to start strong. good luck to the both of you. thanks for the tips man, my coach said prity much the same thing about cardio and 3 or 4 moves to focus on and so far thats what i have been doing. im just more conserned about what it is to expect for the competitors.

Cameron said:
on december 14 im going to have my first high school wrestling tournament. now i was just wondering what should i expect/prepair for and what are some tips thats i should work on. now ive been wrestling for about 1 month and doing some jj for about 2 months. im 5'9 and 128 pounds now any advice would be much appriciated.

Honestly, don't try to expect anything in particular ... anything can happen in wrestling.

Just don't come into the match all puffed up with vanity. You are flesh and blood, and you can lose, be injured, and die just like anybody else ... so compete as if winning = life ... and losing = death.

Try your best to stay focused and relaxed before the match, and take deep breaths (during the match, as well). Practice breathing in a deep, full way, whether you are sitting in class, training, whatever: inhaling through the nose as you expand yer lung cage ... and exhale through the mouth.

As for training, listen to your coach. Do what he tells you. And do yourself a favor and give it your ALL during practice. The harder you train, the easier it will be for you in an actual live match. The effort you put in in training will determine how well you do. Hope this helps a lil'. Let us know how it goes, man. :D

what do you guys with back acne do...i got a lot of acne on upper back and shoulder, do you suggest i wear a t-shirt under my singlet, or will i look like an idiot?

GeeGee said:
what do you guys with back acne do...i got a lot of acne on upper back and shoulder, do you suggest i wear a t-shirt under my singlet, or will i look like an idiot?

You would look like an idiot, a short-sleeve rashguard would be less conspicuous, but still somewhat out of the norm. But you're doing this for sport, not vanity.
Also, I've heard that back acne is a side effect of steroids. Not that I'm implying anything...

be sure to consciously think about illegal moves and positions for new guys. Sometimes you just forget to unlock your hands after a takedown or not getting an arm with a headlock. Stupid mistakes liek that will really add up in points and may end up in a disqualifitcation.

Be sure to bring some good food to the tournaments because they last long too and if its a big tournament you will be wrestling several times with hours inbetween.

mateo said:
You would look like an idiot, a short-sleeve rashguard would be less conspicuous, but still somewhat out of the norm. But you're doing this for sport, not vanity.
Also, I've heard that back acne is a side effect of steroids. Not that I'm implying anything...

i'm 160 5'10 1/2, im not on steroids, im very thin. i have genetic acne, i dont want anyone to be grossed out looking at my shoulder/back acne while im wrestling, so is there anything i can do? im on medicine right now but its gonna take a while.

i'm 160 5'10 1/2, im not on steroids, im very thin. i have genetic acne, i dont want anyone to be grossed out looking at my shoulder/back acne while im wrestling, so is there anything i can do? im on medicine right now but its gonna take a while

Leave it alone. If anything when he takes top referees position on you it might make him let you up.

LOL j/k dont worry lots of HS kids go through this.

knoxpk said:
Guys relax, You will learn alot about yourselves . Just learn the moves coach is teaching you.
Work on one really good takedown for YOU and learn the stand up REALLY well!
Off time RUN RUN RUN!
When match day comes set a pace that the other guy cannot handle. IF you did your running your cardio should be up to par and you should be able to seperate yourself from your opponent late in the 2nd and 3rd periods.
For you lighter guys dont worry MOST of the time the other little guys are new too. Generally speaking guys between 103-119lbs are freshman and sophmores while the bigger guys on varsity tend to be juniors and seniors.
Ofcourse this is VERY general but it seems to shake down this way.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Good advice, As usual Knox. Drill your best moves in the mirror until you can do them perfectly without thinking about them. When you get to that point, taking a shot or doing a stand up will come natural and fluid. As soon as the whistle blows, just execute what you've learned. The best advice I can give for a trouny is bring a camcorder and tape your match and the finals matches. Watch ALL THE MATCHES! You can learn a lot. Good Luck and have fun. Post your results.

im 5'9 152 and my first match is on the 8th...next thursday. this is my first year so im kind of nervous cuz everyone tells me 152 is the hardest weight class.

everyone tells me 152 is the hardest weight class
The weight class you are in is ALWYS the hardest weight class.
Perhaps in your situation you may have 2 state qualifiers in your district..Yep that would make it tough since there are only 4 people who place at a district tournament to move on to regioanls.
Other than that is about the same as other weights.

Littler guys use more speed generally and bigger guys are a little more physical and the middle weights are usually a combo of both.

What I am trying to say its all relative so dont psych yourself out.

I have seen A TON of HS matches and I will tell you, if you do what your coach has been training you tod everything will be fine.
I have seen 1st year varsity guy go out there and just do really well by being in GREAT shape and sticking to the basics.

GeeGee said:
i'm 160 5'10 1/2, im not on steroids, im very thin. i have genetic acne, i dont want anyone to be grossed out looking at my shoulder/back acne while im wrestling, so is there anything i can do? im on medicine right now but its gonna take a while.

Use a high-fitting singlet if your team has them. Otherwise ask your coach if you can wear a tight, sleeveless underarmor tee or something. If it bothers you, then wearing something is better.

Good luck!!! Is it varsity or JV? I remember my first wrestling match; it was a JV and I destroyed the other guy. Just remember your technique and visualize a gameplan beforehand. However, be prepared to lose if necessary that plan since anything can happen in a match. However remember that in most cases, the person who controls the match and sets the pace ends up winning.

Alright this is gonna b my first serious post...Ive been wrestling in AUstralia for about a year and a half now and I managed to get runner up National champion and runner up state champion, (i lost to the same guy twice) so i got some tips...

1. STay calm and focused, dont worry about who you are fighting, just focus on what you plan on doing

2.Stretch like a fukn contortionist otherwise you'll end up fucked, im 15 and ive torn the muscles in my shoulders and neck to shit

3.If you have a chance to watch your opponent wrestle do so and see which moves he likes to use and drill the counters

4.GO straight for the pin dont fuck around with sum fancy ass moves just get him with a hip throw or Cross buttock wat eva the fuck u call it

5.Go fuckn crazy, MAke yourself angry but focused give it all you got if you end up on your back bridge until u snap ur spine, dont give up

6. Dont worry about how hard your weight class is i way 70kg which converts to about 150pounds and Ive done ok, The bigger the guy is the easier it is to shoot on him and get the single leg, double leg , wateva

7.If you get a good double leg position lift the bitch up! You get more points and if he hits the ground hard enough, he'll be winded and u can get the pin without a struggle

8.Learn from your matches, always think about what you could have done better

Oh and yer I had pretty bad acne on my shoulders at one stage, if you have to wear a high cut singlet , low cut ones make u look like a :eek::eek::eek: anyway, or even bandage em up it'll help protect your muscles aswell , in time itll pass, the only problem is i scar like a bitch andnow i look like a burn victim.

Well good luck guys, you'll be fine

Ill check back later and see if uve got any questions cos im not training at the moment due to a snapped collarbone

7.If you get a good double leg position lift the bitch up! You get more points and if he hits the ground hard enough, he'll be winded and u can get the pin without a struggle

2 things.
1-this must be freestyle you are talking about.
A takedown is a takedown in folkstyle unless ofcourse you get back points too! :)
2-IN folkstyle(which is what American HS's do) you have to take the man down with control. So A hard takedown in OK but a slam is not.

By far the best asset for a new wrestler is to be in great cardiovascular shape. One year we had a kid on the team who hadn't wrestled much at all, maybe 1 year experience, but he was one of the best cross-country runners in the state. He wrestled at 112, and the kid seriously NEVER got close to gassing. He would push a fast pace with kids, and as long as he kept the match close, he would dominate in the 3rd period. He used this strategy to win regionals. He kind of proved you don't have to be a stud wrestler to win matches.

Back