first wrestling match

thanks guys these are great tips with stuff like this and my coaches help im sure ill do fine im gona post how i did and how your tips helped in my the tournament. so be looking for the results on the 14.

agu0001, you are a fucking retard.
just to be nice.
for fucks sake. this is high school wrestling, its notfreestyle. you cant execute slams or suplays. if u pick up that high double and drop him u lose a point and start back in neutral position. and what, all that effort nothing. you dumbshit.
but to the new wrestlers, be calm. thats all. youd ont need to go psycho before you step on the mat. clear your thoughts and have a game plan ready.
imo its better to go on with a clear mind than to be raging. but find what works best for you.
knox is a smart man. listen to him because hes right. if you can set the pace in a match and u can keep it at a highger level than your opponent, you will win.
hypothetically, if u have one good takedown, and a good takedown defense, yu cant lose. you take him, let him up. the score is 2-1. you take him back down, u let him back up. 4-2. and so forth.
just relax, wrestling is a funs port.
and if all else fails, just put the guy on his back and hold him there.

bjjWANNABE152 said:
hypothetically, if u have one good takedown, and a good takedown defense, yu cant lose. you take him, let him up. the score is 2-1. you take him back down, u let him back up. 4-2. and so forth.

Until the second period when your opponent takes top and sticks you.

206crazy said:
im 5'9 152 and my first match is on the 8th...next thursday. this is my first year so im kind of nervous cuz everyone tells me 152 is the hardest weight class.

It's not. You'll be fine. As long as they're not throwing you against someone with a lot more experience, that is. A year means a hell of a lot in wrestling. Guys that start wrestling once they're already in high school usually get killed in the begining and don't make it far as seniors. Not to crush anyone or anything, just putting it out there.

Cameron said:
thanks guys these are great tips with stuff like this and my coaches help im sure ill do fine im gona post how i did and how your tips helped in my the tournament. so be looking for the results on the 14.

Listening to your coaches is key. Don't try things you haven't learned or practiced. Stick to the basics and come in great shape, or the best shape you can be in at the time.

Another thing, get a very good night's sleep the night before. I can't tell you how many times I've wrestled stale cause I didn't sleep well the night before. Also, eat a small breakfast the day of the tournament, high carbs, and don't eat much between matches.

By the way, how old are you? Grade?

Fuck what is this? I go and write a long post and the system logs me off. Fuck!

Now that I blew off a little bit of steam...

I can't post any threads because of the dubs. So I guess this thread is as good as any to post it. I'm going to have my first match wed. in the 145 division, and I have to make 147 by monday to wrestle off. I weighed out at about 150 (didn't go to the bathroom) so I'm looking good. I know I have the mental tenacity to make weight, but I have very little experience in dropping weight ( I know this isn't cutting weight, it's more managing what you eat). My ultimate goal is to get below 145 so I can eat breakfast before the match. So I need a little bit of advice.

What should I eat in the first place, what shouldn't I eat (portion-wise)?
How many meals, and when ( i.e. lunch, dinner, ect.) would I have to miss to make 147 by monday and 145 by wed?
Should I substitute some foods with water, and leak it out later?
Would holding in my bladder and bowels for a few days help me lose weight?
Would sleeping in sweats really help me?
Is cutting water weight two days before a match really useless( I'm not talking massive amounts, I'm just trying to drop 5 pounds)? I mean, I'll probably drink normally two days before a match anyways.
How much weight could I lose by spitting and blowing my nose?

PS Good luck to all of you who are wrestling for the first time too. Sorry for jackin your thread a little bit.

sinister. if i were you id eat dinner the night before your match. and then take a big dump. the next morning sweat out the extra three pounds, not too hard.
and satchmo, it isnt hard to standup. its a basic move that i stated earlier too. if you can keep taking your opponent down and just not get pinned, youre set.

I don't think I would risk eating a large meal before the match, besides the coaches would be pissed at me for being overweight by over a pound. I think we'll get in a 45 min. practice before the matches begin. I really need more information on how much food to skip to lose five pounds in that amount of time.

bjjWANNABE152 said:
and satchmo, it isnt hard to standup. its a basic move that i stated earlier too. if you can keep taking your opponent down and just not get pinned, youre set.

Uh, if he's wrestling anybody decent they will chop him down/tie up an ankle/drop to a single/lift him once he's standing/etc. Maybe its just the fact that I fucking hate the take him down/let him up style of wrestling, but let's consider the logistics of this here. He's been wrestling one month. I kind of doubt he can perfect the set-up, execution, and finish of any one takedown flawlessly in one months time. People practice years and can't do it. But let's suppose he can. After he hits it a few times, don't you think his opponent will see it coming and began to block and counter against it? Let alone the fact that his opponent will be trying to take him down as well. If he follows your strategy and concentrates on one single takedown, he's screwed from the moment his opponent takes top position. It will benefit him much more down the road to try to become a well-rounded wrestler now.

My first match of this year is tomorrow at a Varsity Duel meet style tournament. My weight class is 189 +2 weight allowance. I am a sophmore and I've been wrestling for two years. I'm kinda nervous since this is my first varsity tournament. Wish me luck.

bjjWANNABE152 said:
agu0001, you are a fucking retard.
just to be nice.
for fucks sake. this is high school wrestling, its notfreestyle.

well for me in Canada its freestyle. so i can do that shit so thanks

Frodo said:
Use a high-fitting singlet if your team has them. Otherwise ask your coach if you can wear a tight, sleeveless underarmor tee or something. If it bothers you, then wearing something is better.

Good luck!!! Is it varsity or JV? I remember my first wrestling match; it was a JV and I destroyed the other guy. Just remember your technique and visualize a gameplan beforehand. However, be prepared to lose if necessary that plan since anything can happen in a match. However remember that in most cases, the person who controls the match and sets the pace ends up winning.

It's JV, this is my first time participating in a sport, so you can imagine how outta shape I am. Today I went against some guy 2 or 3 weight classes under me and got completely demolished, he was too fast/stronger then me. I guess I will catch up eventually though, I'm scared if I totally gas my first match and just quit.

my bad ppl i dunno much bout folkstyle, just tellin u what i no bout freestyle jesus this folkstyle shit sounds pussy. my bad anyway im sure some of my tips will help...oh yeh and BJJWannabe....fuck you :)

visualize your match before it happens. on the bus or in the locker room you're visualizing yourself setting it up, then shooting and scoring the takedown, then breaking him down and going for the half. run the circle and slowly take him to his back.

visualize starting on top. taking his arm and breaking him down. running the half for the pin.

visualize starting on bottom. off the whistle you shot your hands on his hand on your waist. you stand up, cut and you're out--one point.

never wait for the other guy. score the first takedown. this will kill his momentum. maybe it's his first match and when he sees your 2 points go up, he realizes that losing is a real possibility.

abuse him. hile you cannot within the rules of a sactioned HS match punch him in the face, you can tie with him and snap his neck into the mat with all your force and then shoot in for the takedown that drives him all the way across the mat.

i always made sure to exaggerate the takedowns to let him know he has just been speared across the mat. i did the once and we went out off the mats before i had gotten my 2 pts so we restarted. i snapped his head down and went for the exact same shot but he hip checked me (throw you hips in for an impact and the chance to roll on top on the way down, and if not, a sprawl) but my force was so strong my shoulder made a huge smacking noise on his hip and he flew in the air and landed with my shoulder spiking his ass into the mat. i went right into a cradle after the impact and got the pin before anyone noticed he couldnt move off the mat. it wasnt a slam, just one of those things that make your whole body sore the next morning when you cant roll out of bed.

wrestling is violent. enjoy it. or you'll get hurt.

I guess I should make another account and start a thread about this.

i was wondering because i was on the stand up forum there a couple threads on south paw and not. so im wondering being a south paw does that make any difference at all in wrestling?

Cameron said:
i was wondering because i was on the stand up forum there a couple threads on south paw and not. so im wondering being a south paw does that make any difference at all in wrestling?

It will throw off people a bit. Especially if they like the high-crotch.

at a near by high school bear creak, in barrie not sure if you now it.

Cameron said:

It shouldn't. Good teams/wrestlers will equally drill moves to both sides from either stance.

Back