First Tourney

Congratulations on your submissions. Good job and keep training!

Don't give up your back thinking your opponent will cross his feet so you can a footlock, you will get choked.......I did

jiujitsujayhawk said:
Thanks for all the advice. It went a lot better than I could have expected. I tried to stay calm and focus on the basics and my breathing. But when you get out there everything changes.
I won my first one, lost the second, won the third, and lost the fourth to be eliminated. My first loss was to an arm bar. I was being careless and basically gave it up. My second loss almost went the time limit, and I was contemplating not tapping even though he had a choke in really tight. I tapped when I couldn't breathe because everything went black. After the match I realized I would have had to hold out about another two minutes, when I thought the time was up in just a few more seconds.
I won on a triangle and an arm bar. That's a good feeling.
Overall it was a great experience and I'm ready for some more.

Thanks again.

First of all, good job.

I look at it this way. Number one, out of all the people in the world you are training in something. Number two, out of all the people that train, you had guts/balls/whatever enough to compete. Number three, out of all the people that competed that day, you, in that one moment of the match, were better than two others and need to learn from the mistakes you made with the others. That is awesome.

You know when I first started and even sometimes recently I went through all these feelings. Nervousness, excitement, adrenaline rushes, joy, dissappointment, and finally exhaustion and fatigue. After the event is done and I recovered I just realize and look around and think, "Wow, this is awesome. The competition is tough. I love this.".

Tournaments are fun for me, win or lose. I like making friends with people who train and compete, its something man for me. Like we are in a world wide brotherhood or something. I really take time to talk to the people after competing against them, even if I lose, I tell them,"Great job, bro, I thought you were going to choke me out. What you guys doing after? Want to grab a pizza? Winner buys pizza, loser the beer?" Stuff like that. When I see them at the mma fights here in Hawaii, we always talk and hang out. I really like that.

Way to go, for real man. Congrats.

Yeah, going 2-2 your first tournament with 3 months experience. Nice!

And jjmuaythaiguy, you nailed it on the head bro.

First of all, great job. I know of people who have had more experience then you and they went 0-2 in their first competitions. Well, to anyone who is competing for their first time, I'll give a few tips...

Relax. First of all, relax. Easier said then done though..because if it's your first competition then you will be nervous. But just think of it as a learning experience and after all, you're just doing this for fun.

Warmup. You must keep your body warmed up before competing. If your body is cool, you will gas early and if you have warmed up too early then you will just waste energy. Stretch. You need to stretch to keep your body loose and limber and you don't want to pull something before/during the match. Five minutes before the match, bring a jump-rope with you and warmup a little...you can even go for a little jog or do some jumping jacks.

Eat right. You need to eat healthy and eat enough to have energy. I have seen people that have not eaten anything all day and then they compete. They gas easily because they have the lack of food in their bodys, and they also become dehydrated. You must drink water. I'm not saying to eat right before you weigh-in but you need to be hydrated and not go into a fight on an empty stomach.

Before the fight training. Every good grappler has to have some type of game plan. Work with your strengths but also work from your weaknesses. You can end up in any position when you're fighting so you must work with them all. Make sure that before you compete, you should be well conditioned and that you have trained hard. If you have one week before your fight and you don't feel like going to Jiu-Jitsu...ignore yourself. Go to Jiu-Jitsu or whatever you do and work as hard as you can. Cry in training, laugh in the battlefield.

Listen to your coach. If you have a good coach in your corner, your fight will go alot easier. Make sure you have a good coach because there were plenty of times that I didn't and I paid for it.

Forget bananas, bring pineapples!! Trust me.

jiujitsujayhawk said:
I have my first tournament tomorrow. I've only been training about 3 months so I'm pretty nervous. Any last minute words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Yo was your tournament the Battle At The Beach? Good job, not bad going 2-2 your first time out. I competed at Battle at the Beach, on sunday though because Im a teenager. I did no-gi 150-159 beginner. This was my second NAGA, but my third tournament. I got first place in my first NAGA and second place in the other tournament I did and got second on sunday, and no disrespect to my final opponent, but I should have won. I was winning the match on points until I got lazy and got caught in a triangle. I was in his guard and he went for it and I postured up so he couldnt lock it up, but I just sat there. I should have passed his guard but I just hesitated and sat there and he pulled me down and locked it in. He had really strong legs so once it was in it cut off my air immediately. I was and still am extremely disappointed, because I know I could have won that match if it wasnt for that mistake. But oh well, it happens, and it'll just be a motivator for me to push myself even harder and come out stronger and better next time. For the next NAGA in october it will be about a year that Ive been training so Im gonna jump up to intermediate, which will also motivate me to work alot harder that I did this time. Good luck in your next competition dude, its so much fun isnt it? Im hooked, I cant wait til October.

CoutureFan16 said:
Yo was your tournament the Battle At The Beach? Good job, not bad going 2-2 your first time out. I competed at Battle at the Beach, on sunday though because Im a teenager. I did no-gi 150-159 beginner. This was my second NAGA, but my third tournament. I got first place in my first NAGA and second place in the other tournament I did and got second on sunday, and no disrespect to my final opponent, but I should have won. I was winning the match on points until I got lazy and got caught in a triangle. I was in his guard and he went for it and I postured up so he couldnt lock it up, but I just sat there. I should have passed his guard but I just hesitated and sat there and he pulled me down and locked it in. He had really strong legs so once it was in it cut off my air immediately. I was and still am extremely disappointed, because I know I could have won that match if it wasnt for that mistake. But oh well, it happens, and it'll just be a motivator for me to push myself even harder and come out stronger and better next time. For the next NAGA in october it will be about a year that Ive been training so Im gonna jump up to intermediate, which will also motivate me to work alot harder that I did this time. Good luck in your next competition dude, its so much fun isnt it? Im hooked, I cant wait til October.

Nice to get second though....

One of the kids I used to train with was there and he went into intermediate at 140 something and they made him go against a kid that was 185 pounds intermediate. That's pretty fucking stupid.

Anyways, check out my thread in teh Bloodyknux.com.

Back